Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1986 944 Turbo and advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I did what others have suggested. I did easily reverseable mods. Looks like a great car. Exhaust, chip, and boost controller will wake it up. I think for the money the wastegate is not worth it. I just installed a tial 46mm and it makes it smoother going on power and it holds boost a bit better, just not worth all the expense.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard- What other mods do you have done to your car?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Hey Chris. I have Vitesse Chip, Lindsey 3" exhaust, Manual Boost contoller, 3 bar, and tial 46mm.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by lart951
the cars will definitely go up in price, for example back in 2001 I bought a perfect 65k miles 944T stock for 8.5k , now you might get 8.9-9k for the same car, so in another 10 years it might be worth 10-10.9k I estimated that if you wait 30 years the car could be worth 12-13k, and if you keep up with the maintenance about 1k per year, so you can do the math your self to see how much profit there is.
The one giant problem with this assessment is that nothing from the 80s has hit its stride yet.

I owned a 1967 RS/SS Camaro when it was about the same age as our 951s are now. At the time it was just an old Chevy. Paid $1,000 for it.

951s are far more rare at about 25,000 units made. By comparison Ford made 500,000 1965 mustangs.

There was a great example on another thread where a Porsche 550 Spyder had changed several hands in the early 70s for about $5k. That car is worth a very pretty penny today.

Edit: found it.
Just an interesting quote from another forum.

Originally Posted by Solaros1
This is one of my best friends in his 550A Spyder at an autocross in the mid-1970's. I think he paid around $4500 for this car in 1973 and he sold it in 1978 for $6800. I could have bought it from him for $6000. It is 550-0113 and its worth somewhere around $1.2 million today.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And another interesting read about a recent auction that has some 951 content. One bone stock Turbo S in partiular is interesting.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...an-brains.html
Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice find. Like other's have suggested, keep the mod's to a minimum and easily reversible.

My 951 has 92,8xx original miles and other than CCW's, is still bone stock which is what I prefer for now.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

the cars will definitely go up in price, for example back in 2001 I bought a perfect 65k miles 944T stock for 8.5k , now you might get 8.9-9k for the same car, so in another 10 years it might be worth 10-10.9k I estimated that if you wait 30 years the car could be worth 12-13k, and if you keep up with the maintenance about 1k per year, so you can do the math your self to see how much profit there is.
The one giant problem with this assessment is that nothing from the 80s has hit its stride yet.
Absolutely. Think about...if you wait 30 years you'll have a 56 year old Porsche in good original condition. There will not be many of them around then.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

I feel these car will be worth quite a bit of money in the next 10-15 years. Just look at the strong showing at Amelia Island for the 944 series cars. I will also agree that keeping a car fairly original will help in value.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of investment is this car (regular personal fun vs. occasional drive for special days and concours events)? How much will it be driven? Are you concerned you'll want to sell it in a year or two if your circumstances change? If the car is really just for you and you're gonna drive it, you must modify, with whatever interests you! And since it's not your first 951 and you already have several nice mods on the shelf, it's really just a matter of how far you're going to go.

If your main concern is whether you can modify it without hurting its near-future resale value, my suggestion would be to modify only with common, proven vendor-supported kits and don't throw any one-off parts at it.

You really don't want to have to pull all of that stuff off to restore it to stock when it's time to sell it. To a prospective buyer, especially to one that's not fully familiar with the range of 951 mods, the idea of a car modified with a range of individually-selected parts thrown together and custom-tuned sounds intimidating at the least, and potentially like a nightmare to support. Alternatively, a car with a standard, widely-used kit from a reputable vendor that they can research online sounds very supportable and also (at least to me) more enticing than getting a car that is completely stock.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:34 AM
951Roadrunner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many worthy thoughts, thank you all...
jmj951, your last post touches on the issues at hand very well.
my first 951 was my only car, i drove it to work, schlepping my little ones to soccer...everywhere....like 150,000 total miles now.
At this point, the new one is for fun, as i have another SUV for schlepping. Since i got the new 951, i can't seem to resist driving it though, so i think it will turn out to be more for regular personal fun, and thus don't think i can leave it as a garage queen untouched.
Either way, your advice to stick with known vendor kits is wise, whether i keep it or sell it one day. The complexity is that the items i have on the "shelf" are actually on a car(old 951) that runs. So here is a plan for comment:
1. Take the huntley hybrid turbo off the old car, and swap it with the stock turbo from the new 951. I can always get another stock turbo if i decide to return the new 951 to total stock sometime down the road.
2. Leave the existing wastegate, boost control, and chips on the old car and simply buy the Lindsey Racing 300 rwhp kit (which includes chips, exhaust, etc.) to put on the new 951. Keep all the stock items replaced by the kit items on the shelf in case i want to return to stock later. Now I would have two running 951's. BTW, do Lindsey Racing kits have a solid rep??? Please, comment....
3. Take the konis and 17" OZ wheels off the old car and put on the new 951. Put the original phone dials back on the old 951, the OZ wheels on the new 951, and keep the pristine Fuchs on the shelf too, for possible return to stock.

So, that is my plan that all of your valued comments have led me to...Reasonable, sane?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
That video showed nothing.
sorry my bad wrong video, here is the one I wanted to show, a nimble 951 taking on a mighty V8 ls3 just to show that there are still some ppl with ........

Old 03-31-2012, 01:25 AM
jmj951
Pro

I'm in the same boat now - using my 951 for EVERYTHING since November - getting the kids to school, me to work, and the ocassional track day. The miles are really racking up now, but I've done tons of work on her to stay ahead of the common maintenance issues.

Originally Posted by 951Roadrunner
1. Take the huntley hybrid turbo off the old car, and swap it with the stock turbo from the new 951..
I would do the same.

2. ...buy the Lindsey Racing 300 rwhp kit (which includes chips, exhaust, etc.) to put on the new 951...
I think you're missing out if you don't get a MAF upgrade - primarily for the slight spool-up advantage which IMHO is one of the main focus areas of improvement for a daily driver (also, I have my Lindsey Boost Enhancer at maximum, another must-have). I had Berry's/Lindsey's 951Max chips prior to the MAF upgrade, but the MAF upgrade brought it to a new level (already had a 3" exhaust, but otherwise had no other changes). I've purchased lots of parts from Lindsey and always had a top notch experience, though as you can see in my signature I use a combination of parts from both Lindsey and Vitesse. I use Vitesse for the MAF/injectors upgrade and engine management, Lindsey for exhaust and other parts (DV, replacement vacuum and cooling hoses, replacement wiring harnesses, etc.). Other vendors such as Paragon and LART for replacement parts.

3. Take the konis and 17" OZ wheels off the old car and put on the new 951. Put the original phone dials back on the old 951, the OZ wheels on the new 951, and keep the pristine Fuchs on the shelf too, for possible return to stock.
Absolutely on the Fuchs!! And the OZ wheels will look good with a white 951. As far as the Koni's - sure, I would probably do that too, but that would be at the bottom of the list. That would be a relatively easy swap minus having to set the camber on both cars again. Do the Koni's have uprated springs?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:33 AM
jmj951
Pro

Originally Posted by robstah
That video showed nothing.
That video provided one good reference point - a heavily upgraded 951 that was targeted for top end performance (i.e. a 'big turbo' upgrade) does not have as much usable acceleration for daily driving as a stock turbocharger does. It's all personal preference, but when my stock K26/6 turbocharger finally gives out, I'm going for the fastest-spooling BB turbo I can find, not the biggest. Even on the track, I don't spend hardly any time in the 6000+ RPM range.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:11 PM
951Roadrunner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as i can recall, i simply replaced stock struts and shocks with koni yellow sport struts and shocks. i did not put on nee springs and don't recall my mechanic referring to camber changes. i am ignorant on this i guess...does the switch i describe require camber adjust?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:24 PM
jmj951
Pro

Yes, because the camber adjustment is done where the strut attaches to the spindle, so when you remove the strut, you completely take out the camber setting. It's not even worth trying to mark the current position of the eccentric - after the swap there's no guarantee the camber setting that was right for the other car will be within spec for this new one, and vice-versa. If you can borrow a camber adjustment gauge to attach to the wheel (maybe even rent one from an auto parts store?), you can set it yourself.

Quick Reply: 1986 944 Turbo and advise