Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Headlights work, wont flip up

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

man, this whole thing is making me feel like the worst mechanic ever, that i cant figure out something so simple.. I found only 3 c clips, one on the very end of the linkage on the passenger side, and 2 others on the lower linkage arms...taking them off made no difference and made no difference in my ability to manipulate the linkage..Are there some I'm not seeing...all i know is that I'd rather be elbow deep in my engine than to mess with this damn headlight system ever again..how silly.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
man, this whole thing is making me feel like the worst mechanic ever, that i cant figure out something so simple.. I found only 3 c clips, one on the very end of the linkage on the passenger side, and 2 others on the lower linkage arms...taking them off made no difference and made no difference in my ability to manipulate the linkage..Are there some I'm not seeing...all i know is that I'd rather be elbow deep in my engine than to mess with this damn headlight system ever again..how silly.
Can you snap a picture of the interference?

The linkages between the rotating arm, and headlight SHOULD pop off the arm on the headlight side... it is a plastic bushing in between teh linkage and the headlight arm..

Once the c clips are off, the linkage can be moved lateraly out of the support bracket..

And trust me, try adjusting everything to get the body gaps to line up...
Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Here is a thread with pictures...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-pictures.html

The first picture, you can just see the c clip and linkage I am talking about that can be popped off to adjust on that side...

rotate the cross bar if you need to to be able to reposition the link before hooking it back up ( I am assuming this is where you are talking about the interference being..)
Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Problem solved! and I didnt have to take the linkage apart. I just budged the water crossover pipe over maybe an 1/8th of an inch and then rebolted it, and that was enough clearance to let the lights cycle freely. While I was in there I repaired a small vacuum leak and also budged my lower rad hose over a bit to avoid a repeat of last week when the alternator pulley cut right through it, causing me to lose all my coolant. Thanks a ton for all the help!

I'm basically an expert when it comes to the early cars, I can take my 84 apart and put it back together again in my sleep, but I guess the turbo cars have a learning curve. Cheers.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Damnit! sure now my lights work, but the car is running like total *** now, sputtering, not staying running, smoking a little from under the hood...what in the hell, it was running great this morning, all I did was remove the hard intercooler lines when I was fixing the headlights...nothing else was changed, and I've done it plenty of times, I know I put it back together again. That small vacuum leak I found got me thinking after the car was running like crap, so I swapped in another known good ISV since that is a common source of leaking on our cars, no change.. This is so much more frustrating than my 84 I think because I enjoy driving the turbo so much more lol. I've owned the car for about 3 weeks now and with all the work I've been doing to it, I've only driven it twice, and the first time was just a quick spin and it wasnt boosting correctly. I just drove it this morning and it was brilliant, I just want my car back!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Damnit! sure now my lights work, but the car is running like total *** now, sputtering, not staying running, smoking a little from under the hood...what in the hell, it was running great this morning, all I did was remove the hard intercooler lines when I was fixing the headlights...nothing else was changed, and I've done it plenty of times, I know I put it back together again. That small vacuum leak I found got me thinking after the car was running like crap, so I swapped in another known good ISV since that is a common source of leaking on our cars, no change.. This is so much more frustrating than my 84 I think because I enjoy driving the turbo so much more lol. I've owned the car for about 3 weeks now and with all the work I've been doing to it, I've only driven it twice, and the first time was just a quick spin and it wasnt boosting correctly. I just drove it this morning and it was brilliant, I just want my car back!
Well, at least the head lights go up and down...

Check and make sure all your lines are connected, and clamps are tight...

FWIW, I havent driven my Turbo in coming up on 2 years....
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Fixed it. I blew cylinder 4 intake manifold gasket, blew it badly. I dont know why but I'm not going to worry about it, I had spares laying around so I very quickly changed it and now it runs perfect, idles rock steady at 900 rpm. I didnt even have to remove the intake manifold to do it, plus my lights still work lol. I also took the ISV so that it now rests on top of the manifold, making this common source of failure on our cars much easier to access. Good day!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:43 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Nice work today!

Quick Reply: Headlights work, wont flip up