Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New balance shaft sleeves super tight...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 AM
brandon19761
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New balance shaft sleeves super tight...?

Hello. Well I started to put the car back together tonight and it seems that the new sleeves for balance shafts are not going to go on easily.... Is this normal? I don't really wanna start pounding on them. The old ones slid right off. I've checked part numbers and I know theyre the right ones, yet the back of the new ones don't have much of an angle cut into the back like the old did..... They're mostly flat...
I've put bearing grease on the shafts but still seems too tight... Should I have to POUND the new ones on?
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Last edited by brandon19761; 03-22-2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by brandon19761
Hello. Well I started to put the car back together tonight and it seems that the new sleeves for balance shafts are not going to go on easily.... Is this normal? I don't really wanna start pounding on them. The old ones slid right off. I've checked part numbers and I know theyre the right ones, yet the back of the new ones don't have much of an angle cut into the back like the old did..... They're mostly flat...
I've put bearing grease on the shafts but still seems too tight... Should I have to POUND the new ones on?
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Did you happen to get your kit from Paragon?

I got mine from them, and ran into one sleve that wouldn't fit either BS.. so I reused one fo the old ones (the better of the two)... never followed up to see if it was a bad part, or if others had similar issues, just got her back together, and drove on!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar problem a few years ago when working on my n/a, i ran a piece of emory cloth around the inside a few times and it slid right on.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 PM
brandon19761
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Did you happen to get your kit from Paragon?

I got mine from them, and ran into one sleve that wouldn't fit either BS.. so I reused one fo the old ones (the better of the two)... never followed up to see if it was a bad part, or if others had similar issues, just got her back together, and drove on!
Yep. Paragon...
Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 PM
brandon19761
Instructor

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Had a similar problem a few years ago when working on my n/a, i ran a piece of emory cloth around the inside a few times and it slid right on.
Ok, I'll try that. Shouldn't they fit without though?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I had the same thing happen with the similar part on the end of the cam shaft. Brand new out of the box too. I ended up getting another new one and it slid right on.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:19 PM
brandon19761
Instructor

Turns out one is way out of spec because the other in the kit slid right on. I emailed Paragon and theyre sending a replacement. These must not be authentic Porsche sleeves! I wonder if I'll ever get this thing back together....
Old 03-24-2012, 04:20 PM
brandon19761
Instructor

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Polished the crap out of it and still won't go, so Paragon is sending a replacement..

Quick Reply: New balance shaft sleeves super tight...?