Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Temp goes up after parked

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp goes up after parked

Is that normal ? It goes up to the high white line. Fans running. Happens petty quick after parking.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:24 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Maybe your cooling system is not to par. Check if your fans are turning on, I just had the same issue and found out the driver side fan was seized.GL
Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 PM
audisport
Instructor

Fans seem to run constantly, gauge stays at bottom white line when running. I should probably pressure test.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked to see how much coolant is in the system? Have you air blead the system?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:21 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I use to deal with temp issues a lot before I started bleeding the coolant system with a pressure tester. A significant quantity of air can get trapped. I tried every technique to avoid buying the tester, none really worked. Not sure how you are bleeding the coolant system but I would recommend you do it with a pressure tester. Autozone will loan a pressure tester for free or you can purchase one for about $75.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:32 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

did this happen after work has been done on the engine? if so, what type of work?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:04 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audisport
Is that normal ? It goes up to the high white line. Fans running. Happens petty quick after parking.
Yeas, it's normal. It's shouldn't go too high, but it will certainly go up. No matter how well sealed the coolant system, it no longer has any cool air running across the radiator, or oil cooler or turbo, for that matter. What you have is a temporary heat soak. No air, other than the fans. The fans, even in stop and go traffic, at full speed, won't keep the temp from rising.

As always, it's worth a systems check, but your car sounds normal.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Yeas, it's normal. It's shouldn't go too high, but it will certainly go up. No matter how well sealed the coolant system, it no longer has any cool air running across the radiator, or oil cooler or turbo, for that matter. What you have is a temporary heat soak. No air, other than the fans. The fans, even in stop and go traffic, at full speed, won't keep the temp from rising.

As always, it's worth a systems check, but your car sounds normal.
I was thinking the same it is normal that the temperature gets higher when you park but usually the fans keep the temp in check. If it is getting to hot i would worry .
Old 03-17-2012, 05:53 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep. It should never get above the upper white line, and really should only get as high as the upper 3rd line. If it's working right, it shouldn't get to the top white line, but sometimes these old guages aren't great. You should be able to come back in 30 minutes and turn the key. It should be in betwqeen the 2nd and 3rd line. After an hour or 2 it will be normal.

Quick Reply: Temp goes up after parked