Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need help diagnosing locked up crank!! Urgent!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
broken ring would do that, or broken rod.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DUDE your fualt your decide to run the car with a blown headgasket
Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reno808
DUDE your fualt your decide to run the car with a blown headgasket
I totally agree... Although I figured at worst I might have warped the head or something, but not this!

Oh well. Time for a bigger and badder motor I guess...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:53 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

What about the counter balance shafts??? Maybe one of them is stuck which is stopping the crank...
...just an idea....
Old 03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CDH-CTT
What about the counter balance shafts??? Maybe one of them is stuck which is stopping the crank...
...just an idea....
If that were the case, I'd be able to move the crank just a little (even a millimeter), and I would see the slack in the balance belt tighten or loosen up. The belt is already pretty loose, but the crank doesn't budge one bit, like not even a fraction of a mm...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Bingo!! Sad but true.

Yes, sorry, that information was left out. The coolant was vacuumed out of the cylinders and then blow dried, and all the cylinder walls looked pretty normal. There were a few very light scores but nothing that looked extraordinarily dangerous.

Also, as I mentioned above, the first several cranks felt and sounded as smooth as they normally would. And there was no strange noise when the engine stopped, it didn't come to a screeching halt or anything, haha. It just stopped!
As someone else previously mentioned, you should really remove the oil pan to see what happened before jumping to any more conclusions.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull the plugs and see if the pistons are in the appropriate height with each other. I'm thinking it's probably a broken rod that got bent and fractured with the hg problem. These rods can only take do much and then they will give at any moment.....I know....
Old 03-08-2012, 02:47 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

take the head off
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

The crank stopped before it got to TDC. On the cam gear, the TDC mark was about 2 inches to the left (IIRC). So with the borescope, all the pistons are roughly half way, none of them are all the way up or down from what it looks like.

I'm getting ready to move out of state in a couple months here, so I'll probably have to wait until then before digging into another deep project. But once I figure out the issue for certain, I will make sure to reply back to this thread... So make sure to subscribe to this thread if you'd like to eventually find out what happened!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

The crank stopped before it got to TDC. On the cam gear, the TDC mark was about 2 inches to the left (IIRC). So with the borescope, all the pistons are roughly half way, none of them are all the way up or down from what it looks like.

I'm getting ready to move out of state in a couple months here, so I'll probably have to wait until then before digging into another deep project. But once I figure out the issue for certain, I will make sure to reply back to this thread... So make sure to subscribe to this thread if you'd like to eventually find out what happened!
dam that sucks.. take of the head it only takes a few hours
Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
carlege
Drifting

Subscribed!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:20 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

THis sounds exactly like my engine when the rod bearing went. I tried everything to get it to turn, including a push start...nothing. Even the mechs who worked on the rebuild could not turn the motor.
When I finally disassembled the motor, the number two rod bearing was paper thin.

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing locked up crank!! Urgent!