Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pikington will make saratoga tops Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 05:11 PM
greenwater
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what might work good, is a valve spring. They would have to be cut down to the right size, but they are nice and strong.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:21 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are the approximate dimensions of the black plastic piece. Again mine is highly distorted so very approximate.

OD: 20.25 mm
ID: 9.75 mm
Height: 13-13.25mm

Valve spring is way to stiff by the way.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps a better design would use the factory sunroof and its perimeter frame, with a plexiglass or similar insert.

Plexiglass or other acrylic sheet has been used for aircraft canopies for more than 80 years, so far with no ill effects. And, we know the factory sunroof fit and seal works, for decades.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:50 PM
greenwater
Track Day

URG8RB8, A valve spring is really stiff, but I think that might be needed to make it work right. But I am just guessing since I don't have a glass sunroof.

Dash01, Not a bad idea. I thought of trying to make something like that, cut a hole in the sunroof and install an acrylic sheet. The only problem is it scratches too easy, and installing it in the sunroof would take some work. But at least you know the sunroof will fit and work right.

Actually, the sunroof is fairly thick. You could probably cut a hole in the top, and then router around the edge to make a lip and then place the acrylic in the whole and seal it. Wish I had an extra sunroof to give it a try.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Meine44
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dash01
Perhaps a better design would use the factory sunroof and its perimeter frame, with a plexiglass or similar insert.

Plexiglass or other acrylic sheet has been used for aircraft canopies for more than 80 years, so far with no ill effects. And, we know the factory sunroof fit and seal works, for decades.

+1

I purchased an extra sunroof to try just that, but gave up on the project once I heard of these Pilkington glASS sunroofs being made.

I've tried to sell the damned thing, but I think I may take up the project once again. Probably get a custom cut piece of autoglass instead of plexiglass. I'm just worried the quality would be crap with plexiglass, since it would scratch easily.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:40 PM
greenwater
Track Day

You should try to finish your sunroof project. I would love to see it.

From what I have learned, glass is not easily bent. And the sunroofs on the 944 are not flat, they have a compound curve. It's curved both front to rear and side to side. So finding a piece of auto glass will be a little hard. But, you might want to check out the side and rear windows of vans. You might be able to find a van side window that will come very close to what you need. I've been checking them out recently but haven't looks very close at them yet.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:33 PM
PilkClassics
Intermediate

Devoted Saratoga Top Owners,

Many of you have experienced a hardware issue with the latches on your top. I want to assure you we are doing everything we can to complete a free-of-charge repair kit to mend the issue. The kit will be complete and ready to send in the coming weeks and I will be sending out details soon on how to get your repair kit.

At Pilkington, we strive to create the highest quality products and apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. We thank you all for being such devoted fans to the Saratoga Top and trusting Pilkington with your purchase.

Cheers!

Jon Sheets
Pilkington Classics
Old 06-11-2014, 06:01 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks John, and thanks again for a beautiful top at a great price! This is a special top that most of us never could have had otherwise.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:35 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951
Thanks John, and thanks again for a beautiful top at a great price! This is a special top that most of us never could have had otherwise.
+1. Pilk has stepped up with the response I was hoping for. Even if their fix does not work right away at least they are in the mix; that is unfortunately all too rare.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:38 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

John:

Thanks for the update! I was out in the machine shop when this popped up, guess I will wait a while longer then. Thanks for your efforts.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thankfully my top seems to be working perfectly. I ordered it on the first day. Open and close it all the time. So far so good.

Slight small bend in the seal that you can see from the outside that I don't care for, but it's not enough to be a issue. I am just grateful that Pilk took the time to make another set of these.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:00 PM
bumflick
Racer

Default communication channel?

John, Thanks for the update on the fix. Will you be contacting purchasers directly, or through this forum or via some other means?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:36 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I am happy to hear that this will be "available in the coming weeks" and not months.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:59 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Jon, this is a great product for us all. We all wanted one and pushed to have this out, maybe too soon. We all appreciate the effort Pilkington is doing and I am sure all will be fine.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PilkClassics
Devoted Saratoga Top Owners,

Many of you have experienced a hardware issue with the latches on your top. I want to assure you we are doing everything we can to complete a free-of-charge repair kit to mend the issue. The kit will be complete and ready to send in the coming weeks and I will be sending out details soon on how to get your repair kit.

At Pilkington, we strive to create the highest quality products and apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. We thank you all for being such devoted fans to the Saratoga Top and trusting Pilkington with your purchase.

Cheers!

Jon Sheets
Pilkington Classics
Any updates Jon ?
Regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Pikington will make saratoga tops Again