Turbo Advice- BorgWarner & Garrett

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:06 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
+1

It's Refresh's curve that I love the most. Solid power all the way to redline. When the 26/6 gives out - the 50-trim just keeps on going!

For the few DE's I do each year, having that extra fatness in the power band would be SWEET! Made the mistake of taking a ride around a local track in a buddy's 944 Turbo Cup - where I'm short shifting to 4th at 5500 cuz I'm out of steam, he runs his all the way up to 7,000 - and it makes power there. Love that... want that.
Genuine Cup, that's cool!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

For a 3.0l I think a GT3582R with 0.82 a/r is pretty much a perfect match.
I've driven several different 3.0l engines with both 8v and 16v heads, different cams etc with this turbo and to me it's the perfect compromise between spool up and power.

It is on the small side for my 16v turbo if I want to go over 1.1 bar but I will change to a Tial 1.06 a/r housing to gain a bit up top.

For ultra spool I have a GT2876R which would be fun to try out on that engine as well

A divided housing with quick spool valve is IMHO a bit of a waste. It's not a win-win setup and the effort and money to get it to work would be better spent on other things.
Either a true divided crossover with 2 wastegates or a well matched GT (or similar) turbo is IMHO the way to go.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:31 PM
StoneGrey951
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeking advice/thoughts from 951 folks who've upgraded their stock K-26-6's:

I've been offered a great deal on a stock Borg Warner turbo S turbocharger for my 87 951 which has a Lindsey Racing boost enhancer, circa 1997 Autothority stage I chip, 2.5 inch test pipe and 3 inch exhaust.

Will installing this Borg Warner turbo S part on my 87 951 result in any distasteful characteristics like more turbo lag, etc.? Gut tells me I'll need to upgrade to a modern custom mapped chip set but I'm hoping I won't even have to do that. The engine was overhauled by Broadfoot recently and runs extremely smooth and strong and I'm concerned such a part addition would screw up the Karma.. EG, new kitchen wallpaper spells wife now requesting new counter tops to match.. arg. Current stock 87 K26-6 turbo was overhauled but smokes occasionally and I think I might need to get rid of it. Not looking for more power necessarily, just a fun factor daily driver. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:00 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneGrey951

I've been offered a great deal on a stock Borg Warner turbo S turbocharger for my 87 951 which has a Lindsey Racing boost enhancer, circa 1997 Autothority stage I chip, 2.5 inch test pipe and 3 inch exhaust.

Will installing this Borg Warner turbo S part on my 87 951 result in any distasteful characteristics like more turbo lag, etc.? Gut tells me I'll need to upgrade to a modern custom mapped chip set but I'm hoping I won't even have to do that. The engine was overhauled by Broadfoot recently and runs extremely smooth and strong and I'm concerned such a part addition would screw up the Karma.. EG, new kitchen wallpaper spells wife now requesting new counter tops to match.. arg. Current stock 87 K26-6 turbo was overhauled but smokes occasionally and I think I might need to get rid of it. Not looking for more power necessarily, just a fun factor daily driver. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
K26-8 is probably what would be good. The bad part is parts for it are costly due to the larger hot side if you ever have an issue.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:02 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StoneGrey951

Here's what you should do. Call Albert, and ask him the same question. Listen to what he tells you. The turbo on the stock S cars was also made by KKK, rather than Borg-Warner. It requires a bit more fuel, which that Autoauthority dinosaur isn't going to give you. At minimum, you need a new chip. But the real question is, why would you screw up a newly, and very professionally re-built engine? Albert may not be great at customer service, but he can build the living crap out of a 951 engine. Go to him and do what he says. The K26/8 really only gives you a bit more power up top. It will be slightly more laggy, but also somewhat fuel deprived, based on your set up. Seriously, call Albert and talk to him. He builds about 50 of these engines, per year.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to get a 26/8 i have a vitesse chip for that for the early turbo dme. I believe they are 24 or 26 pin vs the later dme. Youd need an mbc or ebc with a 3bar fpr to run it. That setup with a dual port wg and test pipe woul put your car around 270-280rwhp

Quick Reply: Turbo Advice- BorgWarner & Garrett