Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WTB - Stock KLR Chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB - Stock KLR Chip

I think I may need a stock KLR chip also if anyone has one laying around. Here is the post with my issue. Not sure if I need the complete KLR or just the Chip. At this point I am going to start by swapping the chip. I have an issue that I have been battling for almost a year and based on this post from Clarks Garage, think it might be a KLR Chip.

6.8 Random Boost Fall Problem.

Statement: I own a 1986 944 Turbo that I bought with 71K miles. Shortly after buying the car I began experiencing problems with the turbo boosting. It will happen randomly and always at a bad time. The problem consists of the turbo only boosting to 1.2 bar rather than the usual 1.8 bar. This becomes extremely annoying while trying to pass on a country road. The problem cures itself when the engine is shut off and immediately started again. I have tried shutting it down and starting several times while coasting into toll booths and I have never had a problem after the restart. About seven months ago I took the car to a Porsche Dealer. The mechanics worked on the car for two hours, which included a few calls to other dealerships. Unfortunately, they could not find the problem. Also has a rough cold idle.

Diagnosis 1: To really nail this down, one would want to do a complete checkout of your exhaust system, consider removing the turbocharger and re-gasket it, and evaluate the waste gate. Putting it on a dyno could help, too, because you could evaluate the exhaust gases at the same time. One reason for the loss of boost can be lack of fuel - leaning - which would be picked up by the sniffer. If fuel were the problem, it could be related to failing fuel pressure regulators on the fuel rail, or a vacuum leak which would compromise the effectiveness of the fuel enrichment system. The frustrating part of this sort of thing is that it is still intermittent, and probably did not show itself to the shop you took it to.

Diagnosis 2: Your problem could be a bad throttle position sensor. The fact that the problem goes away after restart would tend to confirm it. My 87 951 had the same problem early in its life.

Solution: The problem turned out to be the KLR chip.

Here is the thread to my problem if you are curious.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...old-start.html

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited by Ky944TurboNewbie; 01-17-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Fix broken link
Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

A good possibility is the Cycling Valve (CV) is bad. The KLR chip is a remote possibility.
The CV is triggered by the KLR to control boost. It is located under the intake manifold.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:27 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a spare Authority and Guru KLR chip that i can send you of you would like
Old 01-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

At this point I have ruled out the Cycling Valve because I don't think a bad CV would cause the car to die. Also, the when the key is cycled off and on, it allows the car to run normal again. For that reason, my Porsche mechanic and I believe the problem to be electronic. BTW... the cycling valve was replaced 3 years/2000 miles ago with a new one. Not that it couldn't be bad. Although the KLR chip is unlikely, seems like it would be easy to rule out if I could swap with a known good chip.

If I am running completely stock, would the Authority or Guru chips work?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If the car dies, it could be the KLR or KLR chip. I could not access the link you posted above.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Thanks John. I think I have fixed the link above.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ky944TurboNewbie

If I am running completely stock, would the Authority or Guru chips work?
Not sure but if you find out PM me and ill throw one in the mail. I do have a stock KLR chip but thats part of my persnal set incase i want to return the car to factory
Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Thanks so much for the offer carlege. But I think it would be best to keep with the stock mappings on the KLR to go with my stock DME.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 27C32 EEPROM IC are still available new for $6. If I was replacing one, I would purchase a new one and get it programmed. Used KLR ICs are over 25 years old.
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...01&keyCode=PDF
Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Brian,

Not sure I understand what you are suggesting. Are you suggesting getting an EEPROM and program it with something like an EEPROM burner? If that is the case, I wouldn't even know where to start. How would you get it programmed?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, read the old chip and transfer the program to the new chip. Several people on the board have programmers myself included.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky944TurboNewbie
Brian,

Not sure I understand what you are suggesting. Are you suggesting getting an EEPROM and program it with something like an EEPROM burner? If that is the case, I wouldn't even know where to start. How would you get it programmed?
There are people on here who can do it and pop it in the mail for you.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Yup, read the old chip and transfer the program to the new chip. Several people on the board have programmers myself included.
Originally Posted by Scott H
There are people on here who can do it and pop it in the mail for you.
I'd be very appreciate if someone were willing to do this; I have a KLR box and am in need of a factory coded chip for it. I'm willing to pay.

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rick, drop me a PM...I am just a bit south of you.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have a stock KLR chip, if someone needs one.

Quick Reply: WTB - Stock KLR Chip