Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A few Questions regarding parts on my 86

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011 | 03:37 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Default A few Questions regarding parts on my 86

Okay when i was hacking away at my car earlier on in the year i noticed different things and now just wondering about them.

1. IICR an 86 came with a 1 piece x-over? i've got a 2 piece where the elbow to the wastegate can be removed

2. Can a late oil pan fit onto an early motor? any difference except the oil pan? i have a late oil pan with an oil level sending unit not connected to anything and can tell by the looks of it underneath (i saw larts early and late oil pan pictures)

3. what does the o2 sensor connect to. i have a plug looped in the engine bay which someone mentioned was for the o2 here on R'List. mine has custom threaded wires going into the firewall but haven't really traced them which i will soon.

Thanks,
Old 12-23-2011 | 06:34 AM
Thom
Race Car

1. Yes, but I have seen several other '86 that also had the 2 piece cross pipe
2. Yes.
3. The standard O2 sensor connects to the cross pipe before the turbine intake.
Old 12-23-2011 | 08:44 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

My 86 has the 2 piece crossover.
Old 12-23-2011 | 10:05 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You can also tell an early motor if it doesn't have the external (through the cover) balance shaft bearing bolts. Early motors had seperate/internal bearing caps with nuts, later motors had the bearing journals integral to the balance shaft covers.
Old 12-23-2011 | 10:13 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
1. Yes, but I have seen several other '86 that also had the 2 piece cross pipe
2. Yes.
3. The standard O2 sensor connects to the cross pipe before the turbine intake.
for Q3 i ment the wires, mine don't actually go to any plug at all. it's like it's been custom installed.

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
You can also tell an early motor if it doesn't have the external (through the cover) balance shaft bearing bolts. Early motors had seperate/internal bearing caps with nuts, later motors had the bearing journals integral to the balance shaft covers.
Thanks i'll check that.
Old 12-23-2011 | 10:37 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The O2 wires go to the DME. The connectors between the O2 sensor and the wire that goes to the DME should be on a bracket attached to the back of the intake. The ref and speed sensor plugs (rectangular) are also on the bracket, the O2 sensor plug is round and clips onto the bottom of the bracket. Surprising someone would made a custom install, that plug is one of the few that seems to last over the years.
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2011 | 10:55 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

yeah i don't have that plug, the only thing i can think of is that mine didn't come with an o2 sensor and ran on leaded fuel (UK spec car) so one of the PO's have changed the x-over to a 2 piece with a bung in it and ran an o2 sensor to run unleaded fuel.

But then again my speed and ref sensors are hard wired in with out plugs, probably broke is my guess.
Old 12-24-2011 | 12:20 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Strange. I have an old engine harness if you want the connectors.
Old 12-24-2011 | 12:50 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
1. IICR an 86 came with a 1 piece x-over? i've got a 2 piece where the elbow to the wastegate can be removed.

There was a factory recall on the early Turbos because the exhaust headers were prone to cracking. Replacement was with the 2-piece pipe.
Old 12-24-2011 | 05:26 AM
Thom
Race Car

Forgot to mention the difference about some pans showing the embossment of the oil pick up tube in the fins :

Old 12-24-2011 | 08:09 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Strange. I have an old engine harness if you want the connectors.
Thanks but i can live with out them

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
There was a factory recall on the early Turbos because the exhaust headers were prone to cracking. Replacement was with the 2-piece pipe.
oh really, never knew this. i thought all 86 came with 1 piece.

Originally Posted by Thom
Forgot to mention the difference about some pans showing the embossment of the oil pick up tube in the fins :

i've got the oil pan in the first picture with the circle at the bottom. wouldn't have a clue what that is for. i've never opened it up. well not yet.
Old 12-24-2011 | 08:57 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

The reason to go with a ‘custom’ O2 connector is that the cost of the factory O2 sensor with the right connector is 3 times the cost of a universal O2 sensor – and the only difference is the connector!

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Yes – but that was the header cracking because the early one didn’t have the flex bellow. Not related to the cross over and the cross over was never part of a factory replacement program (“silent recall” – if you complained you got a new set of manifolds installed, if you said nothing you got nothing!)

Quick Reply: A few Questions regarding parts on my 86