Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

turbos, k26/k27

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 09:03 PM
gtracer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post turbos, k26/k27

I am removing my k26-6 and need a k26-8 for my racer...can the 6 be rebuilt into a -8 or is it best to buy a new one, also what is the difference between a k27-8 and k26-8...sources and rebuilders appreciated....
Old 03-03-2003, 09:32 PM
silicondigital
User

ive always wanted a cheap used k26/8... How much do porsche junk yards want for the things?
Old 03-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Contact Kevin at <a href="http://www.majesticturbo.com/" target="_blank">http://www.majesticturbo.com/</a> He can rebuilds your turbo into what ever you want even a hybrid.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:25 PM
gtracer
Advanced

thanks for the info Edman, can someone clarify difference between k27 and k26....thanks
Old 03-03-2003, 11:31 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Compressor housing is larger on the k27 vs the 26, but the 26/6 and 27/6 share the same hot side #6.

quick and drity explinaiton
Old 03-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Majestic Turbo is a great operation.

I sent them my turbo for rebuild and they communicate well, give you lots of options for upgrading all the way down to just basic rebuilds. My Garrett T3/T4 rebuild was only $334 which included a new centerhousing and shipping back to me.

Hey Edman, how you liking those chips?
Old 03-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, and k27's tend to be rather $$$. Everytime I see one at a swap meet, they want over $600 for even sloppy ones. The the 930 guy, this it the standard turbo upgrade for them and they tend to have more $$$ than we do.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:39 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

wait, maybe I'm confuzzled...the K27/6 and K26/6 share the same hotside? By hotside I can only assume that you mean the side which is exhaust driven...does that mean that the K26/8 is the exact same compressor wheel, and just a larger exhaust housing/wheel combination? That seems counter-intuitive to me, as I would think you'd retain the same hotside and change the compressor wheel to make it a hair more efficient on high rpm, but with a bit more lag (which seems to be the case in point for how the k26/8 behaves vs the k26/6)

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, this truly confuses me. And, if that were the case, why on earth would anyone go K26/8 instead of K27/6, which seems like it would be a more efficient turbo...help?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:25 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Matt Sheppard:
<strong>I think Majestic Turbo is a great operation.

I sent them my turbo for rebuild and they communicate well, give you lots of options for upgrading all the way down to just basic rebuilds. My Garrett T3/T4 rebuild was only $334 which included a new centerhousing and shipping back to me.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Matt,
Just to clarify, you sent them a Garrett and they rebuilt it for 334 or you sent them a kkk and they updated/rebuilt it for 334?
Either way, sounds like a good deal.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Edman951
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> Hey Edman, how you liking those chips? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I like them, not that i have tried others chips, but i am satisfied. This site seem to show how well they perform against the competition.
<a href="http://www.novustelecom.net/~fkassam/dyno/dyno.html" target="_blank">http://www.novustelecom.net/~fkassam/dyno/dyno.html</a>

I think the SteveR and Guru chips are the best right now.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">wait, maybe I'm confuzzled...the K27/6 and K26/6 share the same hotside? By hotside I can only assume that you mean the side which is exhaust driven...does that mean that the K26/8 is the exact same compressor wheel, and just a larger exhaust housing/wheel combination?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Thats right.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> why on earth would anyone go K26/8 instead of K27/6, which seems like it would be a more efficient turbo...help?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I think a k27/6 would be a better street turbo for 15psi, but over 15psi you loose efficientcy from too much backpressure from the #6 hotside.Plus overheating the air making less power.
But a #8 hotside seems to be a bit doggy for the street(imo from dyno chart readying and not real life)
Maybe if you would machine a #8 turbine wheel in a #6 turbine housing you could maybe get more top end power from the #8 wheel but not loose all the low end grunt

I`m personnaly going hybrid. Forget the k27... too expensive.

Kevin at majestic will set me up good.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:45 AM
MachSchnell
Pro

OK...but I thought the 26/8 lost efficiency over 15psi as well, because the smaller compressor side superheated the air to the point where the intercooler efficiency became pointless, and the air was heated to the degree that it was less efficient over 15psi regardless (at least, that's what I glean from reading some of Danno's posts about the turbos...)

If the 26/6 is the same compressor trim with the smaller hotside, what, if any, are the benefits of the k26/8? Now that I'm thinking of it in this light, and going back through memory over my Corky Bell Bible, why the heck would Porsche have used the k26/8 for any reason? Am I misreading something here...I mean, does the k26 with the 8 hotside simply replicate the effects of a clipped hotside, or does the 8 actually accomplish anything besides higher lag? wouldn't something more like a k27/8 be a more efficient design with comparable lag to the 26/8 but the capability to more efficiently flow more air?

Damn this is irritatingly confusing, I thought I had this whole bag down ;o)
Old 03-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yo Dan

I sent them a T3/T4 turbo that they simply rebuilt it. It was a Kolkeln turbo that was orig. designed for a 930 application (I figured this out as the part # Vision Motorsports gave it was "Kolkeln: 930 000 08" on the P.O.'s invoice). I called Vision when I bought this car last year and they had no information for me on anything about this turbo other than "Uh. . .it sounds like it's for a 930.". . . duh.

This turbo only had an oil cooled center housing since it was intended to run on an air/oil cooled engine. Now I dont want to get into an arguement here about what's best - oil only or oil and water, but it seems to me self-evident that a water jacketed turbo will run cooler and have greater longevity than a strait oil cooled unit - call me "superstitious". I've not examed all the empirical data on the issue and raced 5000 hours with both and opened a forum to Socratic dialogue on the issue. I just beleive Porsche was smart in designing our cars with water jacketed turbos and a seperate cool-down pump, but . . . "Wisdom is known of her children" eh?

Anyway, this turbo lasted less than 20K before burning enough oil to make even Bo and Luke Duke sqemish. Kevin disassembled it, called me and told me that it was coked real bad and had a lot of axial play. He informed me it was a T3/T4 hybrid, gave me the turbine A/R and type of compressor wheel and housing it used and what HP it is expected to produce and what PSI it is efficient at given my displacement. "Oh and did you want that to be water cooled,? I like water-cooled . . . No, no extra charge. . . OK, hey Juan, put a new water-cooled center section on that ! . . . You'll have it in a couple of days. Any other questions I can answer for ya"

$334. I'm pretty pleased. I pondered on whether to send it to Turbonetics or Majestic and went out of state based on good reports I'd heard about them. I'll tell you for sure once it's singing again.

For some further background, I sold Edman his chips. . . I also use 10W40 Valvoline semi-synth and change well before 3K on it and was especially carefull to cool it down properly after driving since this turbo only had oil plumbing.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:14 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason, read pages 31-33 again, the answer lies within.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Edman951
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> , I sold Edman his chips. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Matt, i though i got it from Steve himself last summer
He answered his e-mail using the steve mane
Please tell me more i'm confused...
Old 03-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

930 k27/ (7200) are not compatible w/ 951's....... it's the same comp wheel for the most part, but the 930 isn't watercooled , cause there aint no coolant in those there motors, ...and stuff.

I beleive the casting on the hotside is differnet as well, they have those "split" channels to unify "engine pulses"

Quick Reply: turbos, k26/k27