Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SPEC, KEP or South Bend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:21 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm using the Spec stage 3 hybrid. Holds 300+ whp very well for track duty and does have annoying clutch shudder on the street.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
That disk does not look like my old Southbend disk. South Bend also painted the Sachs pressure plate red (at least on mine). South Bend sells modified Sachs pressure plate -- just like Gomes sold, and from what I hear, Blasak. If pedal pressure is any indication, the Gomes PP and the South Bend are modified to about the same pressure -- would bet Blasak is the same.
My clutch isn't slipping even with the the new engine installed but I though if Toms old SB clutch didn't slip with his large engine, no way a 2.8 would. So, Tom and I came to an agreement and I am now the owner of his setup...Thanks Tom.

I sent the disk back to South Bend and they inspected it and sent it back to me at NO cost. They said the disk had over 90% of it surface and they could resurface if I wanted to, but it was fine to use as-is. Very nice people and they stated that that can increase or decrease the clutch disk friction material if I had any issues in the future.

I just have to say that they were a pleasure to work with and South Bend returned the disk I sent them in new packaging, plastic wrapped for FREE. I am sure I will use SB for all my clutches and PP in the future.
http://www.southbendclutch.com/

I took some picture of both surfaces of the disk. This is a OFE disk -- Organic one one side and 'Feramic' on the other
Attached Images   

Last edited by Bri Bro; 02-11-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

+1 on Southbend -- they are great to work with. I would have no reservation about trying them again (and was probably a little impatient switching to KEP due to a little shudder without trying a different material). Brian, let me know how this feels in your car. The pedal effort is certainly closer to stock than the KEP (although I'm already used to the KEP), I just really wanted to eliminate all shudder. Will be curious if you get any shudder -- I've heard others swear they have none with this clutch.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Well, I've now fully broken in the KEP/cup combo and have the car up to about 18.5psi (per my zeitronix, which always reads lower than my mechanical vdo, but I digress...). Happy to report that the clutch is holding that power with no slipping at all. Based on prior dyno runs, that puts it comfortably over 400rwt. Not bad for a factory smooth clutch!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Cup disc is on its way back from SB. Great customer service and super quick turn around. Relined for 175 and tested to 590ft/lbs. And only slightly more pedal feel than stock.

Quick Reply: SPEC, KEP or South Bend?