Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do your BB turbo blow smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do your BB turbo blow smoke?

I've just been made aware that BB turbos can blow oil. I was aware of this but I thought it was a simple thing to fix. Now I'm being told that this is a bit haphazard, seems to depend on the car and whether the turbo was built on Monday or a Friday. I've also been told that it can be really difficult fix the problem if you are unlucky and get a smoking turbo.

I won't pass emissions if I'm trailing blue smoke, that's for sure. Is this such a big problem, and can it be dealt with?
What are your experiences?

PS sorry for the typos in the headline (I wish I could correct them).
Old 11-29-2011, 11:35 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most any that I have heard were running either without an oil restrictor or with one that was too large. It needs next to no oil. Pretty much a piston squirter sized hole.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a single BB turbo and it smoked pretty good. I installed the restrictor and it helped but every once in a while it smoked. PITA. I hated it. It usually smoked when the turbo was relaxed or at idle. On boost it was much better. Must have something to do with the seals. Who knows. I stuck with 360 deg. the next time since it is a street car.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:07 PM
TheDice951
Racer

ok, i have had this problem since i bought the car (2009) and when looking through the paper work, the turbo was put on in 2000 and upon the next oil change there is documentation that the turbo was leaking oil. so for more than 10 years my turbo has been leaking oil? it is a huntley BB "garrett" hybrid but there are no part numbers to be seen so i have no idea of its true size or how to figure out what size restrictor to put in it. i called garrett and they said if it is a true BB turbo it doesnt matter how long it has been leaking, a restrictor should fix the issue. any ideas??

sorry for jacking your thread but i figure this will help you as well....
Old 11-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Oil Restrictor like mentioned above. Even i had to use that on my non BB "AFAIK" turbo although the ones you use on the bb turbos should be smaller. My car did smoke from time to time and on cold start not any more. Search ebay just to get a hint of what restrictors are normal out there.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys.
So do you think I can risk getting a BB turbo, and that I will be able to stop it from smoking if it is a problem? I got the impression from both David Lindsey and Charlie at Evergreen that this could be a difficult problem to deal with and both recommend I get a journal turbo if I want to be certain.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

How to make an oil restrictor.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...strictor+turbo
https://rennlist.com/forums/1013162-post16.html
Old 11-30-2011, 01:42 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the links.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Brain i was about to post my Search it GIF pic
Old 11-30-2011, 02:50 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Guys, I have searched, both here and the WWW. I know how to make a restrictor and how they work. I also understand why these turbos might smoke. My idea with this thread is to get info from owners running these turbos and collect it in one place. Does it smoke or not? And if it smoked were you able to stop it? Perhaps I should have posted a poll instead?

I have been told by some gurus that sometimes a BB turbo will smoke no matter what you do, yet from this thread I gather that this is easily cured with a restriction.

I need to understand what kind of risk I will be taking if I go for one of these. If I end up with an incurable "smoke at idle" problem I will probably have trouble passing emissions. That would be a deal breaker.

I'm sorry for being a tad defensive. I should probably have made the purpose of this thread clearer from the beginning!

Anyway, I really appreciate all the help I'm getting on the forum. I will return the favour whenever I can.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
Guys, I have searched, both here and the WWW. I know how to make a restrictor and how they work. I also understand why these turbos might smoke. My idea with this thread is to get info from owners running these turbos and collect it in one place. Does it smoke or not? And if it smoked were you able to stop it? Perhaps I should have posted a poll instead?

I have been told by some gurus that sometimes a BB turbo will smoke no matter what you do, yet from this thread I gather that this is easily cured with a restriction.

I need to understand what kind of risk I will be taking if I go for one of these. If I end up with an incurable "smoke at idle" problem I will probably have trouble passing emissions. That would be a deal breaker.

I'm sorry for being a tad defensive. I should probably have made the purpose of this thread clearer from the beginning!

Anyway, I really appreciate all the help I'm getting on the forum. I will return the favour whenever I can.
If you would have searched then you would have came up with this http://www.034motorsport.com/
Also there are a bunch of threads on this.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:34 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Here is my definitive view. I have probably installed and broken in at least 30 of these turbos. (Honda guys love these things) If the turbo is new. You have to use the PROPER SIZED restrictor. Not just any restrictor. One common misconception there. If you do NOT use a restricitor or use an improperly sized one, and the turbo seals go bad and the turbo smokes, It won't magically fix itself when you put in the correct restrictor. It will certainly smoke less since there isn't oil pressure squeezing more out of the already broken seals.

The point. Once you blow the seals it will smoke until you fix it. So get the right restrictor the first time and you should have no problem.

Just to add... Here is a good forum post about Garrett GT turbo restrictors. Size recommendation is in there. That size is the one I used in my turbo with Zero seal issues. (I did have blue smoke from the oil draining out onto the Downpipe. MOUNT issues, not seal issues. Smoke in the car.. none out the tailpipe.)

Here is the POST I want to share;

Well I spent the weekend at JGTC, and had a chance to talk to severalGarrett Reps about their GT turbos, and specifically restrictors. Here is what Brian Reigner of Garrett, and two other reps at the booth said, (it is noteworthy that I had a friend ask a different rep the same question seperately, and got the same response)
1- are the GT turbos internally restricted? answer; YES
2- Do DBB GTR turbos require an oil restrictor? answer; if the oil pressure at the inlet is over 40psi, then YES.
3- how do you recomend restricting the pressure? answer; You can use the .035 restrictor from ATP or make your own, so long as pressure at idle does not fall below 15psi at the inlet.
4- what is the recomended range in psi for the GT turbos while boosting? answer; 30-40 psi, NO MORE, or you will get oil blowing by the piston ring (for lack of a better term) seal, and YOU WILL LIKELY HAVE PREMATURE FAILURE OF THE CHRA.
5- So, if users have oil blow by, could that be considered normal, or is that ALWAY indicative of a problem? answer; IT is a problem, and must be addressed for max life of the CHRA.
6- If a CHRA fails, do you have to replace the entire cartridge? answer; Yes, but Garrett is working on an exchange/rebuild program for the BB turbos, that should be available in the near future.

Last edited by 95ONE; 11-30-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
Brain i was about to post my Search it GIF pic
I have a good feel for what to search for having read all the "stuff" over the years. With out that knowledge base it is hard to find a starting point, That is all I do. Just helping out.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:45 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Very informative and helpfull posts.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used this

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=GTBB

Haven't noticed any smoke

Quick Reply: Do your BB turbo blow smoke?