Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dash Mounted Horn Button

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Mounted Horn Button

I am so close. I just need someone to explain how the horn system works. My car came with an aftermarket Momo Wheel with no airbag or working horn.

Well to make a long story short the previous owner removed I the spindle connector that keeps the electric contact when you spin the wheel. So I decided to mount a red button style horn on my dash to the left of the wheel.

Well I found the wire that goes back to the horn. After playing around with it for a while I found that if I touched it to a active 12V wire under the dash it would honk the horn. This was all done while the key was not in the ignition and the car was not running.

So I mounted the button connected the Horn wire and the 12V power wire to the button and it worked great and looks nice!

Problem now is when I start the car and while the car is running it no longer works.

Do these wires need to be grounded or something. I am not an electrician and just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I tried searching but could not find anything related to this topic. Its painfull to get under the dash for prolonged periods of time.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

im fairly certain the wire into the horn pad is a ground and touching the pad makes ground contact...run a ground wire from the horns themselves through the button and then to a ground point
Old 11-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is a horn relay. To turn it on, you ground the horn button. One of the the horn wires connects to the relay which supplies power to one side of the horns. The other wire on the horn is connected to ground.

So, if you were touching one of the wires going to the horn relay to power, that would sound the horn. To turn on the horn relay, you need to take the horn button wire to ground like Spencer said.
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Clown
Instructor

Thats great information guys. Thanks I will try grounding the horn wire to see if that solves the problem. I really appreciate you guys getting back to me. I hope this works it will be nice to have a horn again.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Clown
Instructor

Thanks guys for you help. I have properly grounded the horn wire and now my dash mounted horn button works. It is great having a horn again.

Problem now is I think I accidentaly shorted out the 12V wire for the radio and my dash clock only lights up now and no longer displays digits...until I start driving that is, then it want me to reset the time.

I rewired the radio to another 12V source but it is not the same and my presets are not saved. I checked the fuse under the hood and it was not broken. I then replaced the fuse anyway and that made no change. I am not getting any power from the old 12V wire behind the radio.

Do any of you know how this can be corrected or fixed?

The 12V source I am using now was found under the steering wheel and is the same source I am using for my wideband meter. It works for now but I have to turn the key all the way to the right just to get power to the radio and my settings are erased every time I turn the key off.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Replace fuse 39 then rewire to the way it was.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Clown
Instructor

Brian,

Ok thanks. I will check that fuse out. I can't remember the one I checked and replaced that goes to the radio it might be close to 36. I am at work so can't check it right now. What does 39 go to?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Clock and the radio
Old 11-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Clown
Instructor

Oh ok probably the same one I checked and replaced then. I will double check when I get home.

Brian while I have your attention, do you have any suggestions to fixing this problem if the #39 fuse is not burnt out?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am betting you changed fuse 36 which is the ignition switch 12Vdc.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Clown
Instructor

Brian you are correct. Fuse 39 is radio booster. I did not realize the radio had two fuses. Thanks for your help. I don't know how I overlooked that. Checked the 39 fuse and it looked burnt. Clock still acting funny but maybe its on its way out. Thanks again Brian.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Easy to overlook. good to hear it is better

Quick Reply: Dash Mounted Horn Button