Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Using an SFR turbo oil outlet adapter plate and restrictor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Dea_944t
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The turbo is now mounted and the shop, which has 20+ years of experience with 944 Turbos, already had their own solution for this.

A thin alu-plate (like the copper gasket but the size of the motor mount sealing surface) with a smaller hole just like the SFR adapter and between the plate and the Garrett center section they use a high-temp gasket sealer.
They say this works everytime. The plate puts even pressure on the o-ring, the smaller hole keeps the oil where it should be and the gasket sealer is better than the paper-gasket.

They thought the SFR-adapter was a good idea but it moved the turbo to much upwards.

I'll report back after the summer if there are any leaks

/Dea

Last edited by Dea_944t; 03-26-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Zuba951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dea_944t
The turbo is now mounted and the shop, which has 20+ years of experience with 944 Turbos, already had their own solution for this.

A thin alu-plate (like the copper gasket but the size of the motor mount sealing surface with a smaller hole just like the SFR adapter and between the plate and the Garrett center section they use a high-temp gasket sealer.
They say this works everytime. The plate puts even pressure on the o-ring, the smaller hole keeps the oil where it should be and the gasket sealer is better than the paper-gasket.

They thought the SFR-adapter was a good idea but it moved the turbo to much upwards.

I'll report back after the summer if there are any leaks

/Dea
That's exactly what I did ( i used brass) it’s been good for two years now. If anyone needs any more info check out my thread Turbonetics Super 50 Turbo It has some good pics

Brian
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Going through the same issues with the O-ring only leaking. Bought a copper gasket and will use O-ring, copper gasket and hylomar. But my question is the restrictor. I have the same Allen restrictor insert but noticed that my turbo still smokes a bit, or could the smoking be because I have a lower turbo mount oil leak causing the turbo not to drain properly?
Old 05-05-2016, 08:29 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Going through the same issues with the O-ring only leaking. Bought a copper gasket and will use O-ring, copper gasket and hylomar. But my question is the restrictor. I have the same Allen restrictor insert but noticed that my turbo still smokes a bit, or could the smoking be because I have a lower turbo mount oil leak causing the turbo not to drain properly?
Just my opinion, but i would use a paper gasket with the o-ring. I don't think the copper would seal well with the o-ring. I would only use a copper gasket if the turbo mount were machined flat and had no receiver groove for an o-ring. Hylomar on everything though... .

The leak may be causing some smoking but its really just a gravity drain, no pressure after it drains out of the turbo. Any leak in the AOS system or oil pan gasket reduces the vacuum pulled on the crankcase. The oil draining from the turbo will be improved by good crankcase vacuum though, so it may help.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:49 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

When I did this a few years ago. I cut a 3" x 3" piece of 24 gauge stainless steel sheet metal. I placed it over the mount and scribed the steel with a sharpy. I then cut the steel evenly with the mount using a snip. Drilled a hole in the center and at the bolt openings. The o ring was kept and I used the gasket provided by the turbo manufacturer between the SS and the turbo. This provides enough pressure over the o ring so it doesn't pop out while maintaining a low enough stance for the turbo to clear the manifold. Worked like a charm. In the past the o ring would always pop out and create a leaky mess using just the gasket provided by the turbo builder. Problem solved.
Think you can use the SFR adapter if your only using a T04B housing. A T04E and the adapter will raise the turbo to much and create a manifold clearance issue.

Last edited by jimbo1111; 05-05-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:10 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Sorry I see your other question now. The only time I used a restrictor was when I used a BB turbo. BB turbos use dynamic seals and rely on oil pressure to seal the bearing from intake and exhaust pressure. I was never able to find a happy medium or the proper size restrictor that worked well. Too small an opening and you would starve the turbo of oil. To big and the turbo would blow back oil into the exhaust hosing when the seals relaxed such as at idle or off boost. I finally figured that one out too. Don't buy a BB turbo for a 951. 360 deg bearing works just fine. The benefit doesn't out weigh the aggravation.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:59 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Just my opinion, but i would use a paper gasket with the o-ring. I don't think the copper would seal well with the o-ring. I would only use a copper gasket if the turbo mount were machined flat and had no receiver groove for an o-ring. Hylomar on everything though... .

The leak may be causing some smoking but its really just a gravity drain, no pressure after it drains out of the turbo. Any leak in the AOS system or oil pan gasket reduces the vacuum pulled on the crankcase. The oil draining from the turbo will be improved by good crankcase vacuum though, so it may help.
ive read on the forums of paper gaskets causing more leaks since itll squish part of the o-ring and not seat well. but my problem was solved, lower turbo mounts got loose after first heat cycle or i forgot to tighten them after doing the cross over and headers. Lol, hope it holds up, so far so good. as far as smokey exhaust, its not black, white smoke after a hard run. possible cause is overfilling the oil a bit. i noticed after all the oil leak, my oil level was still above the high mark.

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
When I did this a few years ago. I cut a 3" x 3" piece of 24 gauge stainless steel sheet metal. I placed it over the mount and scribed the steel with a sharpy. I then cut the steel evenly with the mount using a snip. Drilled a hole in the center and at the bolt openings. The o ring was kept and I used the gasket provided by the turbo manufacturer between the SS and the turbo. This provides enough pressure over the o ring so it doesn't pop out while maintaining a low enough stance for the turbo to clear the manifold. Worked like a charm. In the past the o ring would always pop out and create a leaky mess using just the gasket provided by the turbo builder. Problem solved.
Think you can use the SFR adapter if your only using a T04B housing. A T04E and the adapter will raise the turbo to much and create a manifold clearance issue.
Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Sorry I see your other question now. The only time I used a restrictor was when I used a BB turbo. BB turbos use dynamic seals and rely on oil pressure to seal the bearing from intake and exhaust pressure. I was never able to find a happy medium or the proper size restrictor that worked well. Too small an opening and you would starve the turbo of oil. To big and the turbo would blow back oil into the exhaust hosing when the seals relaxed such as at idle or off boost. I finally figured that one out too. Don't buy a BB turbo for a 951. 360 deg bearing works just fine. The benefit doesn't out weigh the aggravation.
I have the SFR Stage 1 and checked the forums and saw that they had to use a restrictor, and this isnt a DBB version. I hope Im not starving the turbo of oil which is causing smoke?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:49 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Default Using an SFR turbo oil outlet adapter plate and restrictor?

I wasn't to happy with the build quality of Turbonetics. If you are getting smoke it's probably oil getting through the bearings of the turbo. Oil pressure in the 944 t is kinda high. That's why the restrictor was devised to reduce the pressure the turbo sees. It's a sort of fix. I've used better quality turbos that don't require anything. No blow by. At all.
Biggest issue I see is with a leaky turbo is buildup of oil deposits on your pistons. Not a good thing because it increases compression over time.

Quick Reply: Using an SFR turbo oil outlet adapter plate and restrictor?