Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Jet-Hot headers results / pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 09:02 PM
Mledbetter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Jet-Hot headers results / pics

I recently ripped the headers out of my '87 951 because of the annoying heast-shield rattles.

I would guess its about a 2 hour removal job, plus another hour to take off any remaining heatshields. I just cut and ripped the remaining shields off, but I would use a cutting wheel if I had to do it again.

Jet-Hot had the headers on Friday and I got them back the following Saturday. Total cost shipped to my door was about $220.

I re-installed with all new gaskets and hardware as the previous owner had mismatched bolts, studs, etc.

The underhood temp was greatly reduced. I can actually touch the header with my hands 15 minutes after driving. The hood is noticeably cooler as well.

Most importantly, all the damn rattles are gone.

I would highly suggest it to anyone with decaying heatshields. I know there are a few upgraded headers on the market, but I seriously doubt the stock unit would be a bottleneck at anything under 400hp. Just my 2 cents...

I'll be getting some other parts under the hood coated soon, so I'll post pics when I get everything back.

-Matt
Old 10-27-2002, 09:12 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They look really nice. What is the name of that coating? Did you inspect your manifolds for cracks before you sent them off?
Old 10-27-2002, 09:31 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep an eye on them in use and give us some running reports - every few months or so, will ya?
Old 10-27-2002, 10:10 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<a href="http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/Skis-951" target="_blank">http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/Skis-951</a>

Keith mine have 3k on them and still look like the day they were delivered. The great benefit is under hood temps. before and after - car driven for 30 minutes, temp was 82° outside.

before coating - exhaust exit the head - 488-509°
after coating - exhaust exit the head - 360-389°

The exhaust is coated inside and out, intakes are only coated on the outside. I highly recommend it. I think David Floyd did his intake not sure on the exhaust.

I also have the intake and exhaust done on my MasterCraft,,it is a 94 - it was done in 95. The boat has 394 hrs on it and the pieces still look like the day they were delivered.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:20 PM
Mledbetter
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Stephen Magown:
<strong>They look really nice. What is the name of that coating? Did you inspect your manifolds for cracks before you sent them off?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I looked them over to be sure I wasn't wasting my 200 bucks.

The coating was the 1300 degree "sterling".

-Matt
Old 10-27-2002, 10:22 PM
Mledbetter
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by keith:
<strong>Keep an eye on them in use and give us some running reports - every few months or so, will ya?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I plan on it...

Just as a side note. They have a 3 year satisfaction guarantee. If you are unsatisfied, "for any reason" Jet-Hot will re-coat them with the original coating once.

-Matt
Old 10-27-2002, 10:25 PM
Mledbetter
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Ski:
<strong><a href="http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/Skis-951" target="_blank">http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/Skis-951</a>

Keith mine have 3k on them and still look like the day they were delivered. The great benefit is under hood temps. before and after - car driven for 30 minutes, temp was 82° outside.

before coating - exhaust exit the head - 488-509°
after coating - exhaust exit the head - 360-389°

The exhaust is coated inside and out, intakes are only coated on the outside. I highly recommend it. I think David Floyd did his intake not sure on the exhaust.

I also have the intake and exhaust done on my MasterCraft,,it is a 94 - it was done in 95. The boat has 394 hrs on it and the pieces still look like the day they were delivered.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just curious, did you leave the heat-shields on when they coated them? Its hard to tell, but it looks like some of the shields are still on in the pics.

-Matt
Old 10-27-2002, 10:44 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Matt did you just take the headers off? I thought they could not be removed with the head on the car?
Old 10-27-2002, 10:46 PM
Mledbetter
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by tazman:
<strong>Matt did you just take the headers off? I thought they could not be removed with the head on the car?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It was pretty easy actually. I pulled them out from above.

Remove the 6 bolts from the bottom
Remove the 8 nuts on the top
Double nut each stud and remove it
Unhook both fuel lines and rear side of coolant "pipe"
Remove small header in 2 seconds
Remove large header after 5 minutes of moving and rotating.

-Matt
Old 10-27-2002, 11:22 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt, yes I left them on. I had them checked before I did it. They were from a wrecked 38k car. Bought them, tested them, coated them, then sold mine when I did all the engine work.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:30 AM
Mledbetter
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Ski:
<strong>Matt, yes I left them on. I had them checked before I did it. They were from a wrecked 38k car. Bought them, tested them, coated them, then sold mine when I did all the engine work.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does the coating get inside the heatshield? I'm just wondering what would happen if the heat-shield came off.

-Matt
Old 10-28-2002, 01:58 AM
Danno
Race Director

Talking

Tack-weld them back on? Those heat-shields are on there pretty good, you gotta do a lot of cutting & grinding to get them off. Not sure what material these headers are made from, but they don't corrode all that quickly, so the welds should hold up.

Quick Reply: Jet-Hot headers results / pics