Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Carbon hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On your list of interested people, it looks like you forgot to add Alan C. And, I am also interested in the $400 to $500 price range if the hood will be a nicely crafted, strong and light 100% carbon fiber part. A plain hood works great for me.

Megatron, is this a 100% carbon fiber hood that VIS would be making? Or, is it a fiberglass hood with a carbon fiber weave laid on it for looks only??

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Megatron, I just read your cross posting to the 924/944/951/968 web board and you make it clear that this hood will be a fiberglass hood with a carbon fiber layer for looks. Sorry I missed that before asking the question.

This actually brings up another question -> As long as this will be a new hood for VSI, why don't they just make a 100% carbon fiber hood from the very beginning?? From what I understand, it would be lighter and stronger. As long as they are taking the time to lay up some fiberglass, I can't see how just doing the whole hood in CF from the start would be that much different. It's the same process -> fabric and resin. Maybe I am missing something. Is CF more difficult to work with than fiberglass??

Jeff
Old 03-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

I'd try to get a more definite idea about weight and costs for less than 25 hoods for sure.
A hood with glass "structure" and a carbon skin isn't likely to weigh anywhere near 7lbs.
Ten hoods is likely to be significantly more$.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Dave E
Pro

I'm in, but would rather see an all carbon hood, that was the original idea anyway. GT makes glass hoods with carbon laid on for looks.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:34 AM
megatron
Advanced

i will try to get everyone's questions answered tomorrow. please see the new post & direct all questions/comments to the thread in the general 924/944/951/968 folder. thanks.

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=017399" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=017399</a>
Old 03-11-2003, 05:42 AM
megatron
Advanced

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Jeff Lamb:
<strong>
This actually brings up another question -&gt; As long as this will be a new hood for VSI, why don't they just make a 100% carbon fiber hood from the very beginning?? From what I understand, it would be lighter and stronger. As long as they are taking the time to lay up some fiberglass, I can't see how just doing the whole hood in CF from the start would be that much different. It's the same process -&gt; fabric and resin. Maybe I am missing something. Is CF more difficult to work with than fiberglass??

Jeff</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">some of the "street" hood makers i've seen use the factory hood "structure" and bond a carbon fiber skin to that

some of the "street" hood makers i've seen use glass mat to build up the "structure" then bond the skin to that. this is what vis & fiberimages do. there is still a significant weight savings over stock. an estimate of how much, exactly, i'll find out.

i've not seen a 100% carbon hood on a street driven car, but then again, i've only seen carbon hoods on sport compacts. it'd be great to have this. i'll see what they say.

anyway, i'm 100% with you. the reason i'm doing this is to try to get my 951 as light as i can get it in street trim and this is part of the effort. i've got some homebrew cf stuff in my garage, but i don't have enough room to make a hood in there, so trying this route...
Old 03-11-2003, 02:03 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

You can count me in if it comes out between 4 and 500 bucks. Post some pics please...
Old 03-12-2003, 12:24 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put me on the list if it's 4-500 bucks. And to answer the question as far as glass with CF overlay, I don't think that we would pay the cost for a solid CF hood. CF is about 30-40 bucks more per yard than glass. Multiple layers of CF would dramaticlly rise the cost for a street hood requiring more than just a skin.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:32 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

what ever happened with this?
Old 04-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Dave E
Pro

Fell apart as far as I know, no one was willing to pony up what it would cost for a real carbon hood, so it seems.

Quick Reply: Carbon hood