Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

# of red threads on LBE for K26#6

Old 05-22-2002, 05:54 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post # of red threads on LBE for K26#6

Got a friend coming over who's going to let me ape and Lbe his stock 86 for Memorial day. I need to know how many visible +/- threads this thing was shipped with. I was using it with a 27 and have adjusted it a million times. Thank you.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:00 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Five works for me.

(note, conditions may vary from vehicle to vehicle. Peckster cannot be held liable for any advice, implied or otherwise, that you may decide to act upon. Please use caution when changing boost control from stock etc. etc.))
Old 05-22-2002, 06:16 PM
special tool
Banned

Thank you
Old 05-22-2002, 07:13 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an LBE owner, happy I should add, why the heck didn't Lindsey use some kind of real world measurement system to describe increasing or decreasing boost levels?
Old 05-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could certainly call Mike or Dave to get that information. The LBE is shipped set @ 10psi. For every full turn in, = increase of 1psi of delayed boost signal to the wastegate. If you are installing LBE along with the APE chips, do not use the jetted banjo bolt that comes with the chips(new or used). Use the factory original bolt - no jet restriction.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:17 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Cooper:
<strong>As an LBE owner, happy I should add, why the heck didn't Lindsey use some kind of real world measurement system to describe increasing or decreasing boost levels?</strong><hr></blockquote>

because it depends on the condition of your wastegate's diapragm
Old 05-23-2002, 04:45 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"because it depends on the condition of your wastegate's diapragm"

Yup, that's probably why they ship it set to the low side. Some people get 9psi of boost, others see 16psi depending upon the state of your wastegate spring. This variation is also why you can't buy chips that raise boost through the KLR, because the same chips would yield different boost levels on different cars.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:31 AM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to satisfy my curiousity and calibrate my LBE. How does this process sound to gauge to opening point of the LBE's internal spring and ball?

Take the LBE out of the car and attach the pressure side of it to an accurate pressurized source and raise the pressure into the unit to the point where it opens to determine where it currently is set, micromemeter measure that point and note it for reference.

To calibrate, I could run a line off my compressor, controlled by a precise pressure valve set to 14.7 psi. Open or close the LBE as needed until it just closes if tightened another half to quarter turn. This would set the 1 bar mark. Use a mike to measure that distance of exposed threads. Then decrease the controlled pressure into the LBE by 1 psi, open the LBE until the ball/spring opens and measure the distance. Repeat to the lowest reasonable boost level, say 6 psi, with measurments for each 1 psi increment. Duplicate the process heading the other direction to a max boost, by closing the LBE and measuring to 20psi.

This would allow me to test the LBE's spring/ball valve to see if it holds or releases pressure in a relatively linear fashion when opened or closed.

When I last took physics, we used slide rules, so I don't recall if springs' K values compress with a linear force or not. I guess this old dog could re-learn something and possibly generate a good matrix in the process.

Cheers,
Old 05-23-2002, 12:35 PM
special tool
Banned

Steve - for control that process sounds excellent. I posed my question looking for a rough starting point because of large possible variances between two aged wastegates.
By the way, we took his car out to test it and Knew within one mile that I would not be getting my spares back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: # of red threads on LBE for K26#6