Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

air box for 86 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 12:29 AM
DwayneW
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question air box for 86 944 turbo

Anyone know a good source for an air box assembly for a 1986 944 turbo? I recently purchased the car and have since noticed that the front screw housings are starting to crack. I'd like to replace it before they get too far gone.

Another option to replacing the air box would be to go the cone filter or MAF system route. I'd be interested in any comments/experiences with either of those as well.

This is my first Porsche and I'm hooked - love this little car.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:00 AM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't but <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=001234" target="_blank">HERE</a> is something you should definitely read before you replace it.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:32 AM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dwayne -

I've got one.... Complete with the internal K&N filter for it too - NOT the cone.

Email me off list if you'd like.

jayc@rennlist.com

HTH!
Old 05-22-2002, 12:46 PM
JonM..
Instructor

Dwain,

The best thing to do is buy some JB weld. Put it in the crack (be sure not to get any inside the threaded insert) let it cure, then your set. That's it and it will be fine from then on. I'll take a picture tonight.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:33 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dwayne,

I have an airbox that I will not be using if it is any better than yours, your welcome to it. I'm in San Antonio so you can check it out if needs be.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old 05-22-2002, 03:07 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
JonM,

Is JB Weld is good for plastic too? How does it hold up in the heat of the engine bay? There's a small hole in my airbox and I would like to fix it.

Thanks,
sm
Old 05-23-2002, 04:55 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

What's a good source for the conical filter conversion.. my airbox is falling apart and I think I'm gonna just get a conical setup.. if nothing else.. to avoid that compressor bomb that was posted!

I did find this think on ebay for $175 but the link to 9xauto.com seems to say that it's for na cars only..

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1830599359&r=0&t=0" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1830599359&r=0&t=0</a>

where's a good turbo intake setup?
Old 05-23-2002, 12:54 PM
JonM..
Instructor

Sorry my digital camera would not download last night so I could not post the pics. Anyway JB weld works very well in this application, and the heat is no problem for it as I guess some people use it on engine blocks. The plastic used in these boxes is a little strange, and seems to have a lot of viberous material in it.

Depending on the size of the hole you mention you could use JB or you might want to buy some type of plug and use silicon, or JB to seal it in. But that again depends on the size of the hole.

As for the "compressor bomb" that's a pretty far stretch. I had to replace my flow sensor a while back and my bolts were STUCK man let me tell you. They don't come all the way out very easily. Just put locktite on them and they will be fine, I mean no offense but come one guys use your heads, if you want a conical filter just buy one. Be honest with yourself, don't use this fear mongering as an excuse, your all smarter than that. It's not that big of a deal to just buy some $3 locktite and tighten your bolts if your really worried about it vs. $175 filter which picks up hot air from the intercooler and radiator. Holy cow that cost almost as much as a good used turbo.

Quick Reply: air box for 86 944 turbo