Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:23 AM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who do you prefer?

In aftermarket parts. Once I get my car running right I want to get bitten by the modbug. But there are so many different choices for these cars and this being my first 944. I'm a little lost and nervous in what I want. As of right now I'm looking at the Lindsey racing Staged upgrade kicks. But then there is also Vitesse but lindseys kits seem to include more stuff. For exhaust I love the look of the fabspeed but not the pricetag. What other companies are there. Alot of people have recommended going with rogue tuning. So how does that work buy parts from other then tell rogue what parts your running and they send you a tune according to your parts? Any insite would be appreciated as well as pros and cons. SFR seems to also have good stuff but many have recommended to stay away from them like the plague.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on what you're looking at doing, and how much you want to spend
Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My suggestion is once you get your car up and running, drive it!

All you'll get on this board are a bunch of opinions and others' experiences. While that does serve a purpose, there is no better way to learn about something than through first hand experience.

So drive the car in stock trim for a year, see what you think. Then, as you get used to the car, and these 951's are different than any other sports car, you'll get to know how it drives, how it feels, and what areas YOU think it can be improved upon.

I felt the exact same way (and still do) as you back when I first got my 944 years ago. Before even getting the keys to the car I was looking into mods and upgrades and yada, yada, yada... But I'm glad I never went overboard with things then, otherwise I KNOW I would have not learned about the car the same way I did as it still is now (minus a few goodies, mainly for engine safety). It's been over 3 years since I've owned this 951, and I'm still just trying to plan things out and still learning things about the car. In my opinion, part of the magic of owning one of these cars is that you HAVE to learn the quirks and odd ends about these cars in order to keep them running and looking well. That's partly most guys here spend HUGE dollars on these cars, rather than just buying a Vet and be done with it, and for less money. I think if someone is new to these cars, the more they spend in 'upgrades' and things they don't need to begin with, the more troubles and headaches they end up with down the road. There have been several guys in this last year who've run into some problems with their upgrades and whatnot.

But I'm not trying to turn you off of modding your car. Do what you want with it of course, lol. And it's definitely a good thing you're trying to get opinions of what will hopefully be some of the more experienced guys on here. That's a far better start to getting the 'mod bud' than just stumbling through it yourself.

Either way you go, good luck getting your car running and hopefully you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine (when it's running)!

PS: if you're a millionaire and money isn't at all an issue, please disregard everything I said.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black51
My suggestion is once you get your car up and running, drive it!

All you'll get on this board are a bunch of opinions and others' experiences. While that does serve a purpose, there is no better way to learn about something than through first hand experience.

So drive the car in stock trim for a year, see what you think. Then, as you get used to the car, and these 951's are different than any other sports car, you'll get to know how it drives, how it feels, and what areas YOU think it can be improved upon.

I felt the exact same way (and still do) as you back when I first got my 944 years ago. Before even getting the keys to the car I was looking into mods and upgrades and yada, yada, yada... But I'm glad I never went overboard with things then, otherwise I KNOW I would have not learned about the car the same way I did as it still is now (minus a few goodies, mainly for engine safety). It's been over 3 years since I've owned this 951, and I'm still just trying to plan things out and still learning things about the car. In my opinion, part of the magic of owning one of these cars is that you HAVE to learn the quirks and odd ends about these cars in order to keep them running and looking well. That's partly most guys here spend HUGE dollars on these cars, rather than just buying a Vet and be done with it, and for less money. I think if someone is new to these cars, the more they spend in 'upgrades' and things they don't need to begin with, the more troubles and headaches they end up with down the road. There have been several guys in this last year who've run into some problems with their upgrades and whatnot.

But I'm not trying to turn you off of modding your car. Do what you want with it of course, lol. And it's definitely a good thing you're trying to get opinions of what will hopefully be some of the more experienced guys on here. That's a far better start to getting the 'mod bud' than just stumbling through it yourself.

Either way you go, good luck getting your car running and hopefully you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine (when it's running)!

PS: if you're a millionaire and money isn't at all an issue, please disregard everything I said.
+1 with everything you just said.

when i got my car it had a couple of mods to it, after market chips, piggy back and a TiAL wastegate. i drove it standard for a whole year and didn't upgrade anything. after a year i took the cat off and noticed a slight increase in power, put a bigger intercooler on to see if i could get a slight power increase with a cooler air charge.
then one day i noticed something odd with the spool of my turbo and thats when i upgraded things on my car. because i didn't want to put everything back on and find out the problem is still there so i replaced everything with new and better parts.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer his question, I went with Lindsey Racing for a number of reasons. 1. They have pretty much everything we could ever need for our cars. 2. Customer Service, Mike, Dave and Traci are all awesome to deal with. If I can't get Mike or Dave on the phone, they call me back asap. Not saying Vitesse doesn't make great stuff, he does, but he is generally only available via email support.

For a MAF kit though, Rogue Tuning is where you want to spend your money. His M-Tune wasn't available when I modded my car or else it would be under my hood. I still may swap out my LR Quad 4 MAF to a Rogue if my mechanic can't fix a few bugs.

I agree somewhat with what the other guys said above, but a year is a long time to wait to mod the car. More importantly, make sure all maintenance is up to date. Fresh belts, rollers, water pump and seals is critical. If you think its the original headgasket, you may want to change that as well.

In today's standard a 944 Turbo is not a quick car at all, fast if you have the space and the *****, but off the line they are a dog, so I understand why people what to mod them quickly to get some more low end pep to them. A well modded 944 Turbo with good suspension and brakes will be a wild car that a $70k BMW M3 won't touch.

To sum up, here is my suggestions:
1. Up to date maintenence.
2. Rogue M-Tune with his injectors
3. Dualport wastegate. Tial and Lindsey Racing are the most popular
4. 3 inch exhaust, Fabspeed is what I have and it sounds great, although pricey.
5. Air/Fuel meter kit
6. A boost controller of some sort. Most go with a manual kit like what Lindsey sells.
7. A bigger turbo. Vitesse makes a great turbo as does Lindsey Racing. I believe Lindsey is a few $$$ cheaper.

With those mods you'll have about 330-340 rear wheel horsepower. With stock brakes and suspension that is the max I'd go. You'll be very happy with that, My first 944 Turbo put down 342 to the rear wheels and it was a beast.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had mine for over a year and outside of general maintenance, the CCW's are the only "mod" done so far.

I do, however, have a corner in the spare bedroom stocked with various goodies - SPEC clutch, IC pipes, LR stuff, MAX951 chips, and more general maintenance items.

There's more to come, for sure, but I'm enjoying the car in stock trim for the interim.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisJ951
In today's standard a 944 Turbo is not a quick car at all, fast if you have the space and the *****, but off the line they are a dog, so I understand why people what to mod them quickly to get some more low end pep to them.
Why make it sound like it couldn't get out of it's own way? A little over dramatic with your description, I think.

Even in stock trim, the 944 turbo is a pretty quick car, and maybe even a little too much car for most average first time buyers.

Enjoy it stock for a while to see where you feel you need to address issues. Maybe it will be fast enough, and you just want to upgrade suspension. Who knows?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a little dramatic Modded

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Why make it sound like it couldn't get out of it's own way? A little over dramatic with your description, I think.

Even in stock trim, the 944 turbo is a pretty quick car, and maybe even a little too much car for most average first time buyers.

Enjoy it stock for a while to see where you feel you need to address issues. Maybe it will be fast enough, and you just want to upgrade suspension. Who knows?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Take into consideration if you want to do regular track days. If this is the case, consider suspension, overdue maintenance and brakes first. This may also change what company you want to go with for your hp, some have better options for running on the track safely.

Taylor

Last edited by Tay-Tay; 10-23-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

best mod you can do is learn to drive it. I started modding my old turbo and it was alot of car to handle. I chose vitesse tuning and maf, lindsey exhaust, k27/8 turbo just for the reliability, tial wg and it was 360+ rwhp and dead reliable.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:42 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S

I agree. This car is meant to be driven (ironic to the ones that know me). This car is an incredible sports car that's a ton of fun to drive and truly shines through twisty roads. In stock form it is plenty fast. If you can drive this car to it's stock potential, you're a much better driver then most. Spend some time to get to know your car then as your skills increase so come the mods. If you want a car quick off the line buy something else. Just my opinion.

Very first mod...Rogue Tuning.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Id like to add something else.

If you want to go quicker around a track you would rather get some suspension mods, better brakes and fatter tires all around, also with a chip set + MAF and a dualport wastegate. Hands down that'll go quicker around a twisty track then a 951 with a larger turbo and other go fast mods. And that'll cover most tracks apart from the oval tracks of course.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the advice. I have seen the light and you guys are right. There is a racing school/DE thing at Texas motor speedway its a 1 or 2 day class. Usually its 1400 if you do it in thier Cruze to z06 but its only 500 and something if you do it in your car. I have never been on a track minus drag strips before. I would really like to learn how my car can perform before upgrading it. But i'm stationed here in Killeen, Texas and don't know much about this state or its tracks. Or even its drivers ed programs ie intro to road racing type stuff is what I want to get into. My main plan was to bring it back and fix all that needs to be done before upgrading it all. Redo the interior and if anyone has any good reccomenndations for a paint and body shop I would do that last. I am willing to go to dallas houston san antonio or austin if someone has a good referal. Thanks for all your input and I think I will go with suspension first. Cause my car bounces if you know what I mean(Push on front wheel well car keeps bouncing up and down after you let go lol) Are there only coilovers for our car? I haven't seen just seperate springs/shocks. This is somewhat of a daily driver too I would maybe only do a track day every 1 or 2 months so I don't think I need a crazy suspension setup.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:10 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 970 Posts

money and time is your only barrier so shoot for the moon rocketman!!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Yes money is always the issue.

Quick Reply: Who do you prefer?