Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1988 Turbo S for Sale - asking moon money~

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again everyone. In reality $15,000 considering what these car typically sell fort but if you really look at all the mechanical work that has been done to the car it is worth it. I have put over $7,000 in parts on the car during it's recent mechanical restoration, which BTW is at my shop cost, not retail pricing. Not to mention all of the labor that has gone into replacing these parts which I do feel I can mention as I do work at a shop and get paid for doing this work. Certainly we all do a lot of work on our cars, but feel free to call up any Porsche shop and ask what they charge to completely reseal and engine, rebuild and modify the head, replace the mounts, replace the clutch, rebuild the transmission etc.

Your opinions are welcomed but somewhat redundant and stupid if people keep coming in and telling me I am asking to much for it, seeing as how it has been clearly stated in the title of the post, the original post and every susbequent post I have made.

I will officially have another car to drive as of today and will be parking the Porsche for now until I can figure out what to do with it. It may go back on a lift and have the oil pan gasket replaced etc. when I find more motivation... it may not.

Starting a new thread dosen't make much sense so I would like to guage interest in parts for this car as I am still undecided as to what it's fate will be. Post here or PM me and let me know if you have a need or interest in any of the parts. Most of what is there has been listed up top, otherwise it's an 88 Turbo S otherwise original and in terrific shape.

Thanks
J
Old 10-02-2011, 01:51 PM
2bridges
Drifting

I don't think anybody is trying to **** in your cheerios, but seriously look at your bad list.

The Bad:
REBUILT TITLE due to very minor damage from previous owner, will be glad to explain if you are serious.
Oil leak @ oil pan gasket
Control arms need to be replaced
Sunroof lift arms are broken and motor needs to be reconnected.
Both sets of wheels need tires
Rear Torsion bars/suspension could use a refresh
Dent on front passenger quarter panel - not from accident, previous owners dropped a ladder on it in their garage...
Dent on hood - outward facing due to hood being closed on intercooler pipe
Few other dents/blemishes...

Would you every consider paying 15K for any car needing those items? You have nice maintenance done, but not much in the way of high end mods or upgrades. Sorry bro reality is what it is. That is a huge reason so many of these cars get parted.... if you are in it for resale, you should have let this one go to salvage.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2bridges
I am sure you are aware the "1 of only 51 made in Stone Grey Metallic, one of the rarer colors on Turbo S" really does not mean anything with a salvage title and repaint. The collecatability is completely lost on a salvage title.... Sad but true.
!
Everyone get hung up on the salvage title thing. Please take a look at my Flickr pictures and you can see the day I bought the car, the only thing the has officially been repainted is the front bumper, which let's be honest half of the car on this forum have had that done for one reason or another.

The damage was very superficial and to quote exactly from the Carfax report - "Accident reported in Wake County. Vehicle involved in crash with a fixed object. Very minor damage reported".

The only things that really had to be done were to fix the radiator brackets which were bent slightly downward, I replaced the radiator, the A/C condensor, the transmission oil cooler, refinished the front bumper and had it recertified by the state of Georgia so it is actually listed as a "Rebuilt" title.

I have all of the original damaged pieces as well although you can clearly see the damage in the pics. It just wasn't that bad.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:57 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I so wish that I could seriously start discussions with you, but timing is all wrong.

Why did the car end up with a salvage title with so little damage?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:09 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

I don't think anybody is trying to **** in your cheerios, but seriously look at your bad list.

The Bad:
REBUILT TITLE due to very minor damage from previous owner, will be glad to explain if you are serious.
Oil leak @ oil pan gasket
Control arms need to be replaced
Sunroof lift arms are broken and motor needs to be reconnected.
Both sets of wheels need tires
Rear Torsion bars/suspension could use a refresh
Dent on front passenger quarter panel - not from accident, previous owners dropped a ladder on it in their garage...
Dent on hood - outward facing due to hood being closed on intercooler pipe
Few other dents/blemishes...

Would you every consider paying 15K for any car needing those items? You have nice maintenance done, but not much in the way of high end mods or upgrades. Sorry bro reality is what it is. That is a huge reason so many of these cars get parted.... if you are in it for resale, you should have let this one go to salvage.
Ok lets be honest about my "bad" list for a minute. I am just being 100% honest with everything that the car needs EVERYTHING else is in excellent shape.

Rebuilt title - see my previous post
Oil leak @ pan gasket - I'd bet 100% of these that haven't been replaced leak
Control arms - you can get rebuilt ones for as low as $200 each and up.
Sunroof/Sunroof arms - cost about $30 and a few hours labor but I haven't delt with it yet, been focusing on other things.
Tires - yep it needs tires
Rear torsion bar were mentioned cause the car sat on jack stands for 7 years and they feel a bit soft, but the car still handles fine.
Dings and dents - almost every car has em, I was just pointing out the worst and most noticible stuff. A respectable body shop could easily fix all the defects.

Beyone these items I would say everything else on the car has been done, and although there is not a huge turbocharger on the car or some $1500 MAF kit, the car has lots of tasteful modifications including extensive headwork which allow the car to be more driveable on a daily basis which is what this has been, my daily driver.

To each his own I guess.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:11 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by JJK78
Everyone get hung up on the salvage title thing. Please take a look at my Flickr pictures and you can see the day I bought the car, the only thing the has officially been repainted is the front bumper, which let's be honest half of the car on this forum have had that done for one reason or another.

The damage was very superficial and to quote exactly from the Carfax report - "Accident reported in Wake County. Vehicle involved in crash with a fixed object. Very minor damage reported".

The only things that really had to be done were to fix the radiator brackets which were bent slightly downward, I replaced the radiator, the A/C condensor, the transmission oil cooler, refinished the front bumper and had it recertified by the state of Georgia so it is actually listed as a "Rebuilt" title.

I have all of the original damaged pieces as well although you can clearly see the damage in the pics. It just wasn't that bad.
Plain and simple you are asking premium prices for a non-premium car.
An insurance company wrote off the car as cheaper to toal than fix.
A salvage title has many ramifications including, substancially reduced resale value, minimal problematic insurance payout when the car is wrecked in the future , ability to acquire collectors insurance, etc.

Certainly you know this.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:13 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
I so wish that I could seriously start discussions with you, but timing is all wrong.

Why did the car end up with a salvage title with so little damage?

From the way it was explained to me it was a North Carolina law thing, although i'm not from NC so correct me if this is wrong. I was told that any incident regardless of how minor it is if the damage exceeds $1000 a police report must be filed and it must be reported to insurance. The accident took place back in 2002 and i'm sure the retail repair cost would have been several thousand dollars. With availability of parts today I fixed the car for under $1000.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Plain and simple you are asking premium prices for a non-premium car.
An insurance company wrote off the car as cheaper to toal than fix.
A salvage title has many ramifications including, substancially reduced resale value, minimal problematic insurance payout when the car is wrecked in the future , ability to acquire collectors insurance, etc.

Certainly you know this.
There really is no need to go back and forth on this. I may be asking a premium but as I also stated, I work at a shop so I may end up selling a lot of parts there so I will be able to get very good prices for many things, even if it takes a bit longer.

You have clearly voiced your opinion and that is fine. It's not like i'm hiding anything here, I am simply asking you to drop it. I don't know how many times I have to say I know I am asking a lot for it, I have done my best to explain everything and why I am asking so much so please, with sugar on top can we have a truce here?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:27 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Part it, you might get at least $ 12k for sure after a lot of work answering emails back in forth, packing , shipping. A car like that, with all due respect is worth 5k at least here in Socal, I assume back east probably a little bit more, not trying to be a jerk just being realistic,
Old 10-02-2011, 02:37 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

OMFG you people are thick.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:53 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:16 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Can you post pics of the body damage.
Has it been repainted?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:21 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry man for whatever is going on and has put you in this position. I think it would be a shame to part it.

But to your original post..you did "ask" for "opinions," you can't start getting pissed off when people tell you what they think! Just saying!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:35 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car Hope you get all that you ask for it. Try craigslist in all honestly you will need to sell it to a non enthusiest like the people on here to get that price.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:40 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Post Train wreck or fail post here.

I spent over 7K in maintenance. But I didn't think for a second that increased the price of my car .01 cent. I think that's where you are confused. The fact that it's an S truly adds value, but then the Salvage title screws that over. No matter what the reasoning or how little damage was done. A salvage title is a salvaged title. You won't get that statement just here either. It will be EVERYWHERE you look. So just accept that or you will be red faced for quite a while. Seems like much of your suspension is shot and there are some more expensive oil pan and sunroof issues to fix. Sorry, but reality bites.

I highly suggest keeping it and not buying the other daily driver because it will just be a wash. There isn't much to part out on your car as far as aftermarket so... Truly hold on to it. It is certainly a worthy car, or take the above posts advice. Sell to people who don't fully understand the cost of maintenance. - see. not one comment about the price!
!

Quick Reply: 1988 Turbo S for Sale - asking moon money~