Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Checking pistonring seal without head?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Checking pistonring seal without head?

Hi

Anybody know of a way to pressure-test (or otherwise test) how well piston rings are sealing against the cylinder wall if there is no head on the block? Engine in question is a 1987 951 motor. Cylinder walls look good and are smooth with exception of a few spots with scratch marks that barely catch a nail. Engine was run with NOS but has under 100k miles. Mechanic who looked at the motor before thought it had a rod bearing problem. Looking at picking up the motor from a friend who is doing an LT1 swap into his 951.

Maybe if I plugged the bottom end and pressurized it with compressed air and monitored a gauge? Or is there some ancient Chinese secret?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

How hard would it be to bolt a head back onto it to test? That would probably be the easiest way. Leave the cam tower off, and you could even use the old head gasket if it wasn't blown or in terrible shape, if all you are going to do is a compression/leakdown test. This all assumes the head is in decent shape.

Otherwise, you'll have to get a deck plate made up, which would be expensive and a pita.

Last edited by User 41221; 09-30-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:06 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Hi

Engine was run with NOS but has under 100k miles.
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

Old 09-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't try pressurizing the bottom end. You would probably blow thru a seal/gasket before you were able to see if the piston rings were sealing.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:16 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Wouldn't new rings and rod bearings be easier???? Their both fairly inexpensive. If you have the motor that far apart it's not much further to do them.

Just a thought.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sh944
How hard would it be to bolt a head back onto it to test? That would probably be the easiest way. Leave the cam tower off, and you could even use the old head gasket if it wasn't blown or in terrible shape, if all you are going to do is a compression/leakdown test. This all assumes the head is in decent shape.

Otherwise, you'll have to get a deck plate made up, which would be expensive and a pita.
I don't know where the old gasket is, but maybe he has it somewhere...I just don't want to buy a new gasket for a potentially junk engine. If the engine isn't within acceptable tolerances I'm not going to buy it.

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I wouldn't try pressurizing the bottom end. You would probably blow thru a seal/gasket before you were able to see if the piston rings were sealing.
Makes sense.

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Wouldn't new rings and rod bearings be easier???? Their both fairly inexpensive. If you have the motor that far apart it's not much further to do them.
It's not the rings I'm really concerned about, its the small scratches on the cylinder walls in 2 of the cylinders. I want to know how bad they really are, if they are worth worrying about and make this block basically scrap. It's a cheap engine but it's not worth $1000 to me to have the bores reconditioned.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not the rings I'm really concerned about, its the small scratches on the cylinder walls in 2 of the cylinders. I want to know how bad they really are, if they are worth worrying about and make this block basically scrap. It's a cheap engine but it's not worth $1000 to me to have the bores reconditioned.
Is it really that much to properly hone these cylinders? I thought it was about 1/4 that much. I know it's a special process, but $1000 seems a tad excessive.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi

Anybody know of a way to pressure-test (or otherwise test) how well piston rings are sealing against the cylinder wall if there is no head on the block? Engine in question is a 1987 951 motor. Cylinder walls look good and are smooth with exception of a few spots with scratch marks that barely catch a nail. Engine was run with NOS but has under 100k miles. Mechanic who looked at the motor before thought it had a rod bearing problem. Looking at picking up the motor from a friend who is doing an LT1 swap into his 951.

Maybe if I plugged the bottom end and pressurized it with compressed air and monitored a gauge? Or is there some ancient Chinese secret?
You could buy a piece of thick Plexiglas from McMaster large enough to cover 4 head studs, drill holes for the studs and one center hole for a compressed air fitting. Make a suitable gasket (grease may even be good enough), buy/cut some tubes for stand-offs, install the thing on one at a time cylinder and do leak-down tests.
I have done something similar to that in the distant past.

Laust
Old 09-30-2011, 09:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H
Is it really that much to properly hone these cylinders? I thought it was about 1/4 that much. I know it's a special process, but $1000 seems a tad excessive.
That seemed to be a consistent number that came up while searching. If you know a place to get it done cheaper, I'm open to suggestions. I wouldn't be opposed to taking the motor out to 100.5, but would I need new pistons for that, or just the oversize rings?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call these guys. It should not be $1000.

http://autosportseattle.com/index.html
Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From Lindsey's site, just honing the cylinders, not boring them out, is $175. I'm pretty sure that is for all 4 bores given the way it's stated. I believe you can then use the LR Piston Ring set which can be gapped correctly for slightly larger bores (maybe think about Swaintech-ing your pistons at this time as well). I'd be surprised if you can't find a decent machine shop in California with the correct equipment to hone Alusil bores.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944MACHINE.html
Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Performance Developments 949 646 7461. They have a tool that bolts to the block, seals to the block and can then pressurize the Cylinder. I am not sure if its something that can be bought, but from what I remember, it would not be cheap.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
You could buy a piece of thick Plexiglas from McMaster large enough to cover 4 head studs, drill holes for the studs and one center hole for a compressed air fitting. Make a suitable gasket (grease may even be good enough), buy/cut some tubes for stand-offs, install the thing on one at a time cylinder and do leak-down tests.
I have done something similar to that in the distant past.

Laust
1+ i was going to say the same thing

Quick Reply: Checking pistonring seal without head?