Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

M-Tune with E85 vs Pump Gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:27 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diesel compression ratios really. just for examples sake. But yeah. It doesn't get simpler. It gets more complicated. That's why it's "magic" lol
Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Diesel compression ratios really. just for examples sake. But yeah. It doesn't get simpler. It gets more complicated. That's why it's "magic" lol
Diesels, have really high compression ratio's..what about needing more fuel and the injectors and .....................nooooooooooo...must resist!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Lolololololololololololololol......

Hmmm how many years has it been now? Let me think, over fifteen years running ethanol and over seven years running e85 in my DD and stored 944's. Got to love the enthusiasm...
Lol, I was just thinking of you when I read that...
Old 10-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I doubt many have gone into the true chemical make up and abilities of this fuel. Many, not being us. I mean ALL. The actual mileage that can be had on this fuel is actually quite incredible. NOT through an engine designed for gasoline use, but for an engine designed for DEISEL! At Diesel Compression ratios actually, not a true diesel motor. A college designed a motor for the limits of this fuel and found that it was so efficient, it could attain the fuel mileage equal to the best Fuel motors. So.. Keep all facts in mind. And it's pretty hard when most everyone does not truly know or can obtain all the facts.
links to an artical?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:48 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Paulyy
links to an artical?
Here is a decent article that I've scanned through. Also, check the Wikipedia E85 page, it has some good data and the footnotes contain more links to similar articles.

http://ethanolrfa.3cdn.net/dd9e74ce1..._rbm6bdgh3.pdf
Old 10-01-2011, 12:04 PM
mverick160
Intermediate

I know a little about this as I am in the industry of fuels.

Ethanol does not have the energy density of gasoline or diesel. Diesel has the greatest. So, with engines built to the extreme efficiencys of there intended use diesel wins then gas then ethanol. You can build a ethanol .5 Lier that will get great mileage but zero HP. The good that you understand OS the knock control of ethanol. I will say the diesel putting out 800hp is no joke either. Reason for it is getting the most out of energy density.

I doubt many have gone into the true chemical make up and abilities of this fuel. Many, not being us. I mean ALL. The actual mileage that can be had on this fuel is actually quite incredible. NOT through an engine designed for gasoline use, but for an engine designed for DEISEL! At Diesel Compression ratios actually, not a true diesel motor. A college designed a motor for the limits of this fuel and found that it was so efficient, it could attain the fuel mileage equal to the best Fuel motors. So.. Keep all facts in mind. And it's pretty hard when most everyone does not truly know or can obtain all the facts.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by mverick160
I know a little about this as I am in the industry of fuels.

Ethanol does not have the energy density of gasoline or diesel. Diesel has the greatest. So, with engines built to the extreme efficiencys of there intended use diesel wins then gas then ethanol. You can build a ethanol .5 Lier that will get great mileage but zero HP. The good that you understand OS the knock control of ethanol. I will say the diesel putting out 800hp is no joke either. Reason for it is getting the most out of energy density.

I apologize in advance, but I have a hard time seeing posts like yours. You did 2 things that I see too much of.

1.) Stated you are, "... in the industry of fuels." without verification. What industry? In what occupation? Are you a molecular engineer based in Fossil fuel Study? If so do you think you may be a bit more apt to apply the winning ribbon to a fossil fuel because that is what you know more about? Or, are you the lab intern? Or do you just work at a gas station?

2.) Made a mass general statement about, "engines built to the extreme efficiencys (efficiencies) of there (their) intended use." without proper validation.
For example, How many engines have you seen built to the extreme efficiencies of these fuels have you worked on / seen data for? If you haven't done anything like this, do you feel qualified to make this statement because you at least work on data and know all the variables, (strengths, weaknesses,any synergistic effects, of each fuel) that creates such a motor that takes these fuel to their extreme efficiencies?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM
mverick160
Intermediate

Don't take this the wrong way. But you could type in energy densitys of fuels on Google if you want to question someone about it.

What I posted stands as obvious information once you educate yourself about fuels. Which has a higher energy density, black powder or gasoline? You'd go broke running a car on gunpowder.

Good things about ethanol are resistance to knock and burns cooler. But, you use more per HP

I apologize in advance, but I have a hard time seeing posts like yours. You did 2 things that I see too much of.

1.) Stated you are, "... in the industry of fuels." without verification. What industry? In what occupation? Are you a molecular engineer based in Fossil fuel Study? If so do you think you may be a bit more apt to apply the winning ribbon to a fossil fuel because that is what you know more about? Or, are you the lab intern? Or do you just work at a gas station?

2.) Made a mass general statement about, "engines built to the extreme efficiencys (efficiencies) of there (their) intended use." without proper validation.
For example, How many engines have you seen built to the extreme efficiencies of these fuels have you worked on / seen data for? If you haven't done anything like this, do you feel qualified to make this statement because you at least work on data and know all the variables, (strengths, weaknesses,any synergistic effects, of each fuel) that creates such a motor that takes these fuel to their extreme efficiencies?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 PM
mverick160
Intermediate

Oh winning ribbon on energy densitys goes to gasoline and diesel over methanol from well known science. They've known the densities for years. Funny thing now is seeing 4000lb duallies run in the 10's in the quarter mile. Of course they don't take a turn to well. LOL
Old 10-01-2011, 02:08 PM
95ONE
Race Car

You have yet to answer my two simple questions...
Old 10-01-2011, 02:15 PM
mverick160
Intermediate

Give me 2 relevant questions and ill answer them.

You have yet to answer my two simple questions...
Old 10-03-2011, 11:37 PM
v8killer
Instructor

Default E85

I did the M-Tune last week. I made 299.8 @ 16lbs(pump/91) and 367.8 @ 22lbs (E85). I am running a 60-1 hi/fi turbo and 3" exhaust. I drove the car 250 miles for my track event/250 mile back home, ran 8x20 min sessions and 1 time attack at 18lbs. The car pulled harder,spooled faster and oil temps were down over 30 degrees from my last event. I'm pretty happy with my M-Tune.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by v8killer
I did the M-Tune last week. I made 299.8 @ 16lbs(pump/91) and 367.8 @ 22lbs (E85). I am running a 60-1 hi/fi turbo and 3" exhaust. I drove the car 250 miles for my track event/250 mile back home, ran 8x20 min sessions and 1 time attack at 18lbs. The car pulled harder,spooled faster and oil temps were down over 30 degrees from my last event. I'm pretty happy with my M-Tune.
Great numbers and performance but..we want more! So do you have a rough idea of the mileage? I'm thinking at least 20% less?

I'm 35 miles away from the nearest E85 station.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 PM
v8killer
Instructor

I have only driven it on E85 and so far. Highway mileage was 18mpg and city was about 14mpg. I had a Chevron station start to carry E85 2 miles away about a week ago. Gotta love race fuel at a pump gas price!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Cool

Originally Posted by v8killer
I have only driven it on E85 and so far. Highway mileage was 18mpg and city was about 14mpg. I had a Chevron station start to carry E85 2 miles away about a week ago. Gotta love race fuel at a pump gas price!
Ok so the mileage does take a hit but not unreasonable. Wonder what it could do with a leaner AFR @ PT and Cruise; say 16 to 1 if the 951 can run that lean?

2 miles away from an E85 station wow? That will be tough to beat! If it were any closer it would be in your yard! You can get it at a Chevron station?

Out here it's 35 miles for me and I have to go to a "we carry werid *** fuels," diesal and whatever speciality fuel station!

Quick Reply: M-Tune with E85 vs Pump Gas