Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DME VS TEC-III

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 12:57 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think SFR has the same thing. What are they asking for the bolt on kit? What does it include?
Old 03-12-2002, 06:40 PM
CBass
Racer

Which management system did the 968 use? I plan to start my build with a 968 or S2 and then turbocharge.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:24 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Chris I am interested to hear what you will be offering.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:41 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

I am wondering how the stand alone engine managment will make 30hp more peak on a 330RWHP+/-? From MY end-users point of view I can see the drivablilty/tuning advanantages, being able to get more hp/torque through out most of the range, except for maybe the peak rpm for whatever the chips were burned for. Can you adj different parameters with stand-alone that you can't with a custom burned chip? Is the restriction at the (MAF) worth 30 or so hp/torque on a "turbocharged" motor. My MAF doesn't really look like a big restriction compared to the IC pipes and they sure aren't worth 30hp. Just wondering? I might consider one. Paul
Old 03-13-2002, 04:44 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Which one costs more? How much will the dyno tuning cost? And if Perry tosses the MAF can I buy it for cheap?
Old 03-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Chris White:
<strong>Since Jamie mentioned it...944Enhancement will be offering a complete bolt in kit for the TecIII.</strong><hr></blockquote>Chris, is this only going to be for turbo cars or will it be compatible with the S2 as well?
Old 03-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Matt 86 951
Intermediate

Clewett engineering also offers all the parts you need to convert to Tec 3.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:45 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Lets see if I can answer a couple of things
1) Clewett is offering the crank trigger assembley and not the wiring harness or sensor kits and no programming. He does do nice work on the crank sensor stuff (for $400+!)
2) The significant gains that can be made are with the ignition timing. Horsepower can be gain across the whole power band by gettign the timing right. This cannot be done on a mass produced chip because teh best timing settings will vary from engine to engine based on modifications, altitude and gas quality.
3) The TecIII could make some improvements in an S2 or any other NA but the improvements won't be anywhere near the improvements on a turbo engine. I don't know if the cost to benefit ratio is there for an NA.
The first couple of installations of the TecIII will be dynoed by the end of the month - we will see what happens then.
Chris
Old 03-14-2002, 10:54 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Cost? you guys are concerned about costs?

While the cost of a TecIII project is not small (figure between $3K and $4K for hardware depending on how much you want to do) the cost for not installing a TecIII can be as much or more.
When I first started in on 951 a while back I went through each 'stage' - chips, then MAF, then wastegate and controller, then MAF mods, then adjustable fuel pressure regulators, on and on. Total all that up and it is way more than a TecIII project. The beauty of the TecIII is that you do that part of it once and you are set, go ahead and swap turbos later on - a quick check of the Tec settings and away you go. Datalogging at the track? thats included in the Tec - the stand alone dataloggers are not cheap!!
For those with MAFs already - the market is good for used ones. I sold off my MAF, DME, KLR and Apexi boost contorller and that paid for half of the Tec project.
Drop me a aline if nay body needs more details.

Chris
Old 03-14-2002, 11:08 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Question

Chris,
I agree, I didn't think that there would be much of a peak gain between a custom burned chip and stand alone. Are the sensors/set-up as reliable as a chip? If a sensor goes bad are they order only items or can I buy one at a locale dealer? The adjustable parameters sound great. But don't you have to adjust these set-ups on a dyno? I mean I wouldn't trust setting a/f mixtures with my O2 sensor!
Paul
Old 03-15-2002, 12:08 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts
Paul,
One of the nice things about the Tec3 is the learn mode. You can get a fairly decent fuel curve by using the learn mode. You need to use some common sense but it can be done.

As to air fuel with the O2 that's a good question. What you can do with the Tec3 is to adjust the voltage on your sensor to match a known wideband. Once you do that you are fairly close.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:29 AM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Alan,
That is some info that I hadn't heard before.
Thanks!
I am on my last round of turbo mods at the current time and have considered doing something w/ stand alone, maybe after the 968 trans.
regards,
Paul
Old 03-15-2002, 09:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Good question Paul - actualy its another feature of the Tec thats nice - all the sensors are off the shelf GM parts that you can pick up anywhere at a very reasonable price. The Tec also has self diagonsing feature that will report sensor errors. If you have ever tried to track down a intermittent sensor failure on the stock system you know what a pain in the butt that can be.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:50 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Matt 86 951:
<strong>Clewett engineering also offers all the parts you need to convert to Tec 3.</strong><hr></blockquote>I've been in touch with them and they are going to send pictures and pricing info shortly [the parts are in production as we speak], and I'll post it when I get it. The Clewett pieces I've seen for the 911 are first rate, but you also pay a hefty price.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:08 PM
nize
Banned

old thread, any update on this ?

Quick Reply: DME VS TEC-III