Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Street to Track (wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Enkei NT03s are also a great budget lite and strong wheel.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a set of CCW Classics also for the track, i used to just leave them on year round but the roads in my area suck. The wheels are strong but some of the stuff i have come across and narrowly avoided will probably blow out my strut aswell as bend the wheel. I still have to cut through NYC to get to the tracks and i usually plan ahead, i make sure there is no construction and will usually end up going the long way with an extra toll bridge for the less messed up roads. So yes, rolling around on a $2300 set of wheels is a bit nerve racking. I went with 17"s though so the tire profile is a bit higher, giving a bit more leeway if you do happen to run over anything.

With that said CCW is great to work with and it wouldnt worry me much if i had to get the wheel fixed. Just the obvious inconvenience of dismounting the tire, shipping the wheel back..etc if you had to.

My street wheels are 18" MY02's and will used for wet events if needed. Really nice wheels but i prefer to stay on 17"s for the track.. cheaper tires and less rotating mass..yada yada.

I considered the NT03 Enkei's, really nice significantly and less than the CCW's. But i did not want to run 18"s for the track. The CCW's have the other effect of letting people know you mean business at car shows.. .

Factory wheels are a good budget choice though, strong, readily available and relatively cheap. Just one thing to keep in mind is wheels fatigue, so if you are buying someones used track wheels just keep that in mind and be vigilant about looking for cracks.

I will say i had one giant **** eating grin on my face when opening the boxes for the CCW's..

Old 09-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been extremely pleased with the Team Dynamics I have on my Alfa... They're very light, I've had no trouble with bending or cracking and they were pretty inexpensive. They've got to be alright... they're sanctioned by FIA, BTCC, NASA (they racing guys, not the space guys), and SCCA, so they can't suck..
Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Like some above I run hollow spokes as a street/track rim.

Cheap, pretty light, relatively wide rubber at 8/10 and a no spacer fit if you find the right offsets.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxrick
Hmm...CCW's ain't cheap! Though I did buy mine used for a bargain. I was warned by fellow listers it would be a soft rim and they are right. I have bent them several times on the street. I chose to have a local shop true them each time. I could have repaired with new parts since they are three piece.
This may be more a function of 18" vs 17". I've been running 17" CCW's for years while living in NYC, and driving all around the tri-state area. With a pretty stiff track suspension as well.

Never had an issue.

I don't go looking for potholes but I'm not particularly picky about where I drive.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samluke
Factory wheels are the best value. Hollow spokes are light and cheap and easy to look after.
How much do they normally weigh? Are Fuch wheels still the lightest wheel you can run on a 944 turbo?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:00 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

damn...I'm envious. See my next post.

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
This may be more a function of 18" vs 17". I've been running 17" CCW's for years while living in NYC, and driving all around the tri-state area. With a pretty stiff track suspension as well.

Never had an issue.

I don't go looking for potholes but I'm not particularly picky about where I drive.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:03 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

ILast weekend I went on my typical ranch roads north of town and the wheels took several hard hits...like "bang!". With our very dry AND hot summer transitions to bridges, etc. have gotten bad. Stuff i couldn't have anticipated. I am out on those roads now.

UPDATE: I pulled all four wheels today and found three of four bent. Sh&t.

Sending all four to a local shop to have them trued and the lips polished.

Should probably sell and/or trade for a more solid wheel since I drive 99.9% of the time on the street.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:07 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
How much do they normally weigh? Are Fuch wheels still the lightest wheel you can run on a 944 turbo?
The hollow spokes I run are 10.6 kilos for the rear (18x10) and 8.9 kilos for the front (10x8).

Great page on Porsche wheel weights here:

http://www.944racing.de/felgengewichte.php
Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by derekc23
I have the 17" CCW's race version and Rick's experiences have had me on edge driving mine on the crappy Ohio roads. I also have a set of MY02's but haven't ventured to install them yet since they might become my winter wheels.
more "experiences" just posted derek...ugh.

Admittedly when driven on those country roads it is driven very hard. Need some new roads AND slow down AND should really consider TT's instead.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

18's are fragile. Larger diameter wheel and less rubber to cushion impacts make them prone to bending, and or cracking. I have experimented with many 18" wheels over the years. I have had good luck with Turbo hollows both 993 and 996. I have used CCW's and bent them. I currently run MY02's as they are the lightest OEM wheel, and bend them on a regular basis. I currently have 4 ready for truing.

I am always looking for cheap MY02 wheels if anyone has any.

I have a pair of 18X8.5 CCW classics, a pair of 18x8 993 hollows, and a pair of 18X8 996 hollows for sale if anyone is in need of any.

The OZ wheels look good value for money, not sure how strong they are.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Never had an issue.

I'm with you, I had 17" CCW track wheels for 6 years and never tweaked a rim with 40 series and our roads aren't that great. I can see 18's being a bit dicier but I would never say CCW's with spun lips tend to bend easy.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Never had an issue.

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I'm with you, I had 17" CCW track wheels for 6 years and never tweaked a rim with 40 series and our roads aren't that great. I can see 18's being a bit dicier but I would never say CCW's with spun lips tend to bend easy.
This gives me a sigh of relief - thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Just to be clear i am not knocking the CCW wheel...they are a track wheel and as such I don't think I would have bent one yet.

I run a 30/35 series combo on 18" rims and no...there isn't much give.

I run the wheels on paved ranch roads and cannot say that I have directly hit a pothole yet. I also have yet to curb the wheels and ALWAYS slow for railroad tracks. The problem is sudden ripples in the road and bridge transitions (which i suspect did it last weekend). I recall slowing to 50-60mph approaching a bridge (OK..maybe 70) and BAM(!) the transition was ****. I have been over that bridge 80 times in the past year and a half....it went away apparently.

I can also say the same roads have only caused the car to dip hard enough a couple times to catch the rear tire on the fender...and it did it multiple times the other day. Almost like i couldn't go slow enough (a relative term).

Ubrupt ripplles or buckles in the road are hard to spot at speed...again not a track. Yeah I know..a few of you prpobably want to wag your finger at me..and rightfully so.

Bad *** looking rim driven on ugly roads with plenty of shifting soil (hard clay)..it's just not working for me.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:18 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

oh..and btw, I have put a solid 8000+ miles on these wheels in the past year. Usually driven hard.

I just bought new back tires as they are on the wear bars at 8000 miles!

Quick Reply: Street to Track (wheels)