Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Saturn Studs for Exhaust Manifold - Where to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B
I was looking at these studs last night and they have a hex on the outside. Does anyone where you can buy the ones with the 5mm internal hex? I had some that were included in one of the hardware kit group buys that happened on the board.
A 5mm reg socket will work but I went an spent like 15 dollars on a set from Kragens now called O'Reilly Auto Parts a few yrs ago....
GL
Regards
Ed
Old 09-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any advantage to the Saturn studs other than price and that they work? are they better than the Porsche ones in any way?

Matt, did you have to do anything other than thread them into the head for the intake manifold? I mean, I'm assuming you used lock-tite, but anything else?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crackership
Is there any advantage to the Saturn studs other than price and that they work? are they better than the Porsche ones in any way?

Matt, did you have to do anything other than thread them into the head for the intake manifold? I mean, I'm assuming you used lock-tite, but anything else?
There are pro's and cons
There are not exactly the same size (length wise)
that can cause an issue with how you get them on.
Pros
You don't have to do that double nut bull****
I would not use lock-tite ???
If anything ( I know your not supposed to, but I used anti-seize )
They also look a little nicer (especially when you plate them)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 09-22-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:57 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
A 5mm reg socket will work but I went an spent like 15 dollars on a set from Kragens now called O'Reilly Auto Parts a few yrs ago....
I bought a Lisle set at Sears.

They are better than Porsche studs in that you don't have to mess with double nuts, and they are black.

I didn't do anything special, no loc-tite, but I may have used a touch of copper anti-seize. I spent too much time chasing threads on this car to use loc-tite anywhere except a couple very strategic spots. Plus, these studs are easy enough to get to that re-checking torque would be extremely easy if I had to.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazy,

I am with you, I use antiseize on most of the fasteners. I rarely have to wrestle with seized bolts, and unintentional loosening has never been a problem.

I only loctite where Porsche specifies it, ie the ignition rotor, LSD bolts and a few others.

Last edited by samluke; 09-22-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always thought the saturn studs looked like this but I guess not? Any ideas as to where to find this style?
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by samluke
Crazy,

I am with you, I use antiseize on most of the fasteners. I rarely have to wrestle with seized bolts, and unintentional loosening has never been a problem.

I only loctite where Porsche specifies it, ie the ignition rotor, LSD bolts and a few others.
Same here ... I dread any bolt or stud that seizes....

I always thought the saturn studs looked like this but I guess not? Any ideas as to where to find this style?
I like those....
Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

What's the length? I'm assuming it's M6x1.25, correct? There's a place here locally that can get just about any kind of hardware ever made. If I can get specs, I'll see if they have or can get them and, if so, I could pick some up for everybody..
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

What's the length? I'm assuming it's M6x1.25, correct? There's a place here locally that can get just about any kind of hardware ever made. If I can get specs, I'll see if they have or can get them and, if so, I could pick some up for everybody..
Off the top of my head I think the stock ones are 38mm long????
They are M8 x 1.25
Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Off the top of my head I think the stock ones are 38mm long????
They are M8 x 1.25
They're M8's... really? I could have sworn I remember them being smaller than that... I guess all the fuel I've been smelling lately is making me hallucinate

I'll call them up tomorrow and see if they can provide any with that nifty female allen at about 38mm. In my experience, they either have them, can get them, or Josh has photoshopped that pic
Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is where I picked it up from but Paul hasn't posted on the board since 2009.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...age-three.html
Old 09-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

This is where I picked it up from but Paul hasn't posted on the board since 2009.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...age-three.html
Correction
See from Josh's link https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...e-three-3.html post #37
Ok prob more info than what was requested but here goes;

1) Overall lenth of Saturn stud (average of 16 taken) 50mm. Lenth of the part that screws into head (meassured from shoulder, average) 17mm.

2) OL of stock stud (average of 8) 47mm. Lenth of the part that screws into head (meassured from shoulder, average) 15mm.

As measured by my crappy caliper (hey don't laugh it is actually pretty accurate for this sort of stuff).

I installed the set that came in the last GB, they worked fine. I guess the allen heads would also work fine, no need to double nut.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:48 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Josh,

IRRC I bought those studs with a 5mm allen key head as part of a "944 Turbo exhaust hardware kit" that was about $40. I'll look through receipts and see if I can find out where.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:40 PM
kinglenario
Racer

there's a place right here in atlanta that basically has everything if you wanted to get the hex insert style.

http://metrobolt.com/
Old 09-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Well, I called that place here locally that usually has any kind of weird hardware you could ever think of, and bust they don't have it and don't know where to get it. Lame. I was absolutely sure they'd know where to get it...

Quick Reply: Saturn Studs for Exhaust Manifold - Where to Buy?