Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HELP, press clutch pedal goes to floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default HELP, press clutch pedal goes to floor

I pressed on the clutch this morning and the pedal goes to the floor and stays there. What broke/popped off. Any ideas
Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOunds like you have no fluid in your slave. Check your resivoir. Look for fluid under your car and see if it is brake fluid.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Is the slave attached to the brake master. If so, the brake master has fluid. Maybe a bleeding will work.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Most likely bad hydraulics. Check fluid level in brake master resevoir. Check for fluid on ground, on slave above the starter, on clutch master (follow blue hose from brake master to find it), on the hose between clutch master and slave, and on carpet behind clutch pedal. Best to change master, slave, and hose together, as a new one of any one will cause the others to fail. It's common, so lots discussion on it here, such as:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...the-floor.html

Make sure you can pull the pedal up by hand. If not, could have something else going on.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:20 AM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes bad hydraulics or a bad clutch hose which can be even harder to determine. If the hydraulics are bad you should be able to see brake fluid from either inside the car where the clutch pedal attached to the master cylinder, probably not much if it is, or hopefully outside of the car near the master or underneath on drivers side which is where the slave cylinder is.

If you don't see any fluid it may be a bad clutch hose. On these cars they tend to form a bubble in the hose which if you follow the clutch hose line from the master to the slave try running your hand along it and visually inspect it for a bubble.

Ultimately what I would recommend is replacing all of your hydraulics, master, slave and clutch hose just to be safe, that will definitely take care of the issue.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JJK78
Ultimately what I would recommend is replacing all of your hydraulics, master, slave and clutch hose just to be safe, that will definitely take care of the issue.
This. Just rip it all out, put new in and be done with it for another 20 years.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 PM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had that happen to me when i was driving.

i pulled over and pulled it out with my hand and it worked fine.

haven't had a problem with it for probably 8,000 miles. hopefully it stays that way
Old 09-17-2011, 01:13 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott H
This. Just rip it all out, put new in and be done with it for another 20 years.
+1. Just did this with my track car. Got rebuild kits for slave and master for about $40 from Rock Auto, and the hoses (resivoir to master, and master to slave) from Lindsey for maybe $30.

There was sludge in my master. Looked like chassis grease. The rubber on the high pressure hose had dried and started to come off. I was definately lucky nothing bad came of it.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

I took the easy road. I had my shop replace the slave and master cyl. Also did the lines while there. Figured better to replace now rather than worry later.

Quick Reply: HELP, press clutch pedal goes to floor