944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Picking up an '86 951 for a dedicated track car - would like some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011 | 02:02 PM
gtb75
Track Day

Default Picking up an '86 951 for a dedicated track car - would like some feedback

I had a friend approach me about selling his '86 951 to me for a stupid good price... I've been tracking my street 2006 Corvette Z06 and decided earlier this year that a dedicated track car was in my future. I need to be pushing harder, but am unwilling to do so in my current car. The plan was get a diesel pusher to tow the car next year and then get a track car in the future - but the deal on this 951 is just too sweet to pass up

I've read a number of threads here about tracking 951's and it sounds like they're pretty solid if you don't go crazy with adding power. That being said, I'd like your feedback on what has been done to the car and how it'll hold up to road race use:
  • Car has 80k miles
  • Kevlar Lindsey timing belt installed within last 30k (tensioners and water pump also done at that time)
  • Stock K26/6 turbo rebuilt within last 30k
  • Radiator replaced spring of this year
  • New coil/rotor and Magnacor wires installed spring of this year
  • Fabspeed exhaust with straight cat pipe
  • Lindsey downpipe (might be Fabspeed, but I think it's Lindsey)
  • Lindsey DME/KLR chips
  • Lindsey club wastegate
  • Lindsey boost enhancer (set at stock 10psi)
  • Lindsey SS fuel lines and new fuel damper hose
  • 3.0 bar fuel regulator
  • Bosch 044 fuel pump installed spring of this year (gas tank was cleaned at this time as well)
  • Koni adjustables
  • Zimmerman rotors
  • SS brake lines
  • Pagid Blue pads
  • Reproduction Turbo Twist 17" wheels (with 225/45-17 and 245/40-17 rubber - can't remember what though)

I believe the car runs 16psi of boost based on what I've read about the mods he has on it. Based on the list above, is there anything that stands out as either needing to be done or possibly problematic for road race use? I'm an advanced/instructor level driver and my "home track" is Road America, so I'll be on the gas a lot there! I've always been reluctant about forced induction cars because they're the ones that ususally end up blowing up at the track (but not usually Porsches).

My plan for a track car was originally a used C5 Z06, but the price on this car is so good that I just can't pass it up! The simple fact of the matter is I could drive this car for a few years and probably sell it for as much or more than I'm buying it for. I was actually a Porsche guy long before I was a Corvette guy (dad had a '70 911S), but I couldn't pass up the value the C6Z offered when I bought it back in 2006... I'm facing the same thing with this 951 - stupid good bang for the buck!

Thanks for the feedback everybody!
Old 08-27-2011 | 03:03 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

As a previous Corvette owner now loving my 951 with only street experience...here's my opinion:

The Porsche will not disappoint you, it's a fantastic and fun car but...

Very different from a Corvette!

Your friend's Porsche, though a cheap initial investment may cost more to track in the long run then an older Z06. The corvettes are pretty indestructible and parts are plentiful / inexpensive (compared). I also always liked the idea of similar cars with similar traits, one to push on the track and one to pamper on the street (I can barely afford one).

My opinion...stick with the vette.

The Porsche is a different animal...though that's what I like about it!
Old 08-27-2011 | 03:12 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

First I would get a second or bigger oil cooler. Next, replace the 86 spindles with 87+ spindles and hubs. The 86 do not stand up well to hard track use. Then suspension and there are tons of packages out there.
Old 08-27-2011 | 03:51 PM
gtb75
Track Day

I thought the '86 (and only the '86) 951's came with a second cooler from the factory? As for the spindles/hubs, I didn't know about that one... I assume that would mean I'd need to change to late offset wheels as well? Understood on the suspension, but how about the brakes? Are the stock calipers up to handling a car with this level of power mods (mild/modest) and slicks on a fast track like Road America?

As for the Corvette, I know they're bulletproof, but a used C5 Z06 would cost me 9 to 10 times what I'd be buying this 951 for... Hence my dilemma

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming!
Old 08-27-2011 | 04:19 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

No 951 came with a second oil cooler. You might be thinking of the cooler loop on the trany which was stock on all 86 models. The stock brakes are very good, just will have to keep an eye on pad and rotor wear. Ran for years at VIR with no issues. If you keep the 86 control arms, the offset doesn't change. You will need to add camber plates to dial in the camber.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ht=87+spindles

And that brings up something else to replace/rebuild if it hasn't been done, the ball joints.
Old 08-27-2011 | 07:24 PM
YZ250
Instructor

The car sounds good to go. You would just have to wait and find out what gives out on a 25 year old car. The big problem I fought on my 86 was crispy wiring, but that can be a problem with any year.

I recommend going back to a completely stock DME/KLR/boost control setup to maximize reliability. There would be a noticeable power drop, but its not like its a low horsepower car in stock form.

The spindles are relatively weak. You can upgrade, or crack test them every couple of years and replace as needed. I keep a good set of spares (already crack tested) for that day.

It is more difficult finding early offset wheels.

An advantage of an 86 is that you can replace the control arms with the cheap steel ones and use replaceable ball joints. Just inspect periodically. You can then keep a pair as spare so that an off that messes up a control arm can be easily fixed at the track. Jason at Paragon Products will assemble a full kit for this swap on request.

You don't mention springs. The stock springs will be pretty soft on the track.
Old 08-31-2011 | 09:57 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Here is the ‘list’ of things that you will eventually do to the car (its just a matter of time!)
I put them in the correct order so that you can start planning now.

More Oil cooling
More brake cooling
Good Seat and Harness system
Stiffer springs
Sway bars
Track tires & wheels
Switch to full coilovers
Bigger brakes (go with the spindle upgrade at the same time)
Bigger turbo
Engine management mods
Bigger engine

Somewhere in the middle of all this you should/will contemplate stripping the interior and adding a cage.

You may thing that this sounds like way too much stuff and that you will be quite happy with the car as is….but nobody can resist the dark side – its just a matter of time (and money!)
Old 08-31-2011 | 08:26 PM
95ONE
Race Car

yep.. The 'Ole Crackpipe of speed.
Old 08-31-2011 | 08:51 PM
Darwantae951

I have two extra 951 oil coolers if you are interested in running a dual stock set-up.
Old 09-09-2011 | 04:55 PM
gtb75
Track Day

Thanks for the feedback everybody! After careful consideration, I decided to pass on the 944... I just couldn't get past the turbo aspect of the car - plus the cost of Porsche parts.

That being said, I stumbled across a '94 C4 (Corvette) for sale by a fellow NASA member which is already set up as a track car... It's gutted, weighs in around 2800 lbs, has Brembos up front, around 330RWHP, and proper roll bar (not a full cage). It's a crazy good deal at $5k and I'm flying down to see it tomorrow. If it is as the pictures and description say, I'll be buying it!

Yes, it's a bit more than the 944, but it's ready to race... By the time I put an oil cooler, new spindles, roll bar / harnesses on the 944, I'd be talking similar money anyways. It just comes down to my familiarity with the Corvette platform as well as faith in the big lazy V8.

Again, thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 09-10-2011 | 02:57 AM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

joined in 2006 and the only 3 posts are from the past couple weeks....nice...
Old 09-10-2011 | 07:48 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by gtb75
Thanks for the feedback everybody! After careful consideration, I decided to pass on the 944... I just couldn't get past the turbo aspect of the car - plus the cost of Porsche parts!
I think that was a good decision. Familiarity with a car is a big plus, as well as the fact that you are buying a track ready car, rather than an almost bone stock one. I was looking at the car and thinking you'd be better to keep it as a street car, and turning the Z06 into the track car!
Old 09-11-2011 | 04:34 AM
FASTRNU
Pro

Originally Posted by 95ONE
yep.. The 'Ole Crackpipe of speed.
Old 09-12-2011 | 08:12 PM
gtb75
Track Day

LOL - I joined back in 2006 because I was torn between the Cayman and the C6 Z06... I joined so I could search more easily

Believe it or not, I was a P-car guy long before I discovered the Corvette. My dad had a 1970 911S and I always figured I'd buy a Porsche when I had the money. Anyways, as much as I loved the Cayman's handling/feel, there was just no getting around the Z06 was a far more capable car for the same money - so I went with the Corvette. While it's not the perfect car (no car is), I've been very happy with it.

As for the C4, they're one of my least favorite Corvette body styles... That being said, this is a tool - not a toy, so I'll get over it. I went to look at it on Saturday and ended up buying it. It was just too good of a deal to pass up! In case any of you were interested, here's what the C4 looks like: http://gtb75.smugmug.com/Other/94-C4...465030_ssTgx5g
Old 09-14-2011 | 08:49 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gtb75
LOL - I joined back in 2006 because I was torn between the Cayman and the C6 Z06... I joined so I could search more easily

Believe it or not, I was a P-car guy long before I discovered the Corvette. My dad had a 1970 911S and I always figured I'd buy a Porsche when I had the money. Anyways, as much as I loved the Cayman's handling/feel, there was just no getting around the Z06 was a far more capable car for the same money - so I went with the Corvette. While it's not the perfect car (no car is), I've been very happy with it.

As for the C4, they're one of my least favorite Corvette body styles... That being said, this is a tool - not a toy, so I'll get over it. I went to look at it on Saturday and ended up buying it. It was just too good of a deal to pass up! In case any of you were interested, here's what the C4 looks like: http://gtb75.smugmug.com/Other/94-C4...465030_ssTgx5g
I considered that vette earlier this summer. I never went out to look at it, but I did talk to the owner over the phone. You certainly got a good deal.

Quick Reply: Picking up an '86 951 for a dedicated track car - would like some feedback