Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone ever see this happen to a motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Got me curious, so took a look at some motor mounts I had in a box - the 3 orange are '87 mfg date and were off Turbo S cars. The updated two are OE replacements, '93 and '94 mfg dates.

Two of the orange ones are collapsed below the 65mm factory spec (70mm new, 65 or below requires replacement per FSM). Third one was about 66mm, so close to junk too. One for sure show signs of leaking fluid. Can hear fluid moving when you shake them.

Cant hear anything when shaking the updated mounts, but both of those still measure 70mm height, even though they are well used.

Whether the updated/968 OE mounts are liquid filled or not (I now doubt my previous posts enough that I am not willing to risk wrecking one by sticking a nail thru it to check), spend the extra money vs. the fake ones. The new factory mounts will last for years, possibly the life of the car.
Attached Images    
Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
I got the exact same on both my cars yet this surprisingly didn't cause any vibration.
It wasn't until I replaced the mounts on both that I noticed they had actually failed.
I don't really have anything to compare it to .... I haven't driven the car in 6 years, so until I replace them I will not know if the vibration will change
I will say that the PS hardline is almost touching the oil sending unit rubber wire caps ... So I am guessing its not were its supposed to be

Originally Posted by Oddjob
The original motor mount designs were fluid filled, and they would collapse/leak. Used to be one of the chronic premature failures of the 944 - water pumps, timing belts and motor mounts. Porsche released several updated parts over the years to correct the problem, finally went to a basically solid rubber mount w/ the 968 mounts. The mounts on the late 944s were better, but 968 mounts pretty much eliminated any premature failure problems of the early versions.
I am going with the stock ( hopefully updated mounts )
Originally Posted by Tedro951
Ed, all I can say is WOW! Beautiful job. Take a little break from it, then attack again.

Oddjob, I thought the fluid was what separated the genuine from the aftermarket. If the genuine are now all rubber, I cant see why they would be so much more effective.
Yea Thanks Ted I was really freaked out when I thought I was out of the woods, only to find I just entered the forest again

Originally Posted by dillon410021
it is a museum piece
LOL thanks Bud. And, based on how much time it spent in the garage, it really was

Originally Posted by Oddjob
The new factory mounts will last for years, possibly the life of the car.
From your lips, to Gods ears
Old 09-17-2011, 05:49 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Thanks Chris

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
The heat shield on that side appears to be a shield for the left side installed upside down.
That shield was put on and off 4 times ... The last time I put it on backwards
I believe that was the correct side, just backwards....?
Thanks Bud !!
Regards
Ed
Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeezus!!! That's amazing!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the mounts from Rein Automotive, as far as i could tell they are OEM with the Porsche markings ground off.

Rein mount, hard to tell but this area has been ground down.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Jeezus!!! That's amazing!
Ya my car has a leaning for the dramatic
I must have nicked an artery

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Check out the mounts from Rein Automotive, as far as i could tell they are OEM with the Porsche markings ground off.

Rein mount, hard to tell but this area has been ground down.

Thanks Jon I saw your post way back when, on those and was thinking of taking a chance and then saw that the stock ones can be gotten of like 260 for the pair and decided to just go with the Porsche ones ( being that I am a chicken **** and do ever want to do this again )

Best regards
Ed
Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 AM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did my motor mounts in the last two months. where did you get the real porsche mounts for $260 a pair? i think i paid $385 for both of them. i first ordered the Rein mounts and they were not porsche part numbers and did not have the P on them. so i sent them back for the real ones.

this is confusing because the porsche mounts say made in germany. rein makes there stuff in czech republic. i think crazy edie got lucky or the supplier he got them from had a different batch. i tried the same thing and it didn't work out for me...
Old 09-19-2011, 10:22 AM
kinglenario
Racer

btw, those are still liquid filled mounts. that's why they're so expensive. you can see the valve on the bottom that they fill them through.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dillon410021
it is a museum piece
If you know anything about intricate machinery, like old clocks, the experts tell you that you use wind them and use them to keep them working. Sadly garage queens may be prone to failure of parts like these.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM
savvas944
Instructor

have exact same problem now on the same side.
i appears to happen from excessive back and fro movement from softened gearbox mounts,
and up and down twist of engine during acceleration and deceleration which allows the whole engine/torque tube/gearbox to twist more than it should ,and with age the rubber gets more
rigid,it snaps .pulls the silicon bag inside and causes it to rupture.
Seen the same on my 968 triptronic as well.
Best is to go semi or solid g.box mount.For the 968 polyurethene windscreen selant is the answer.
The complete assembly will be more secure and mountings will have much longer life.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:04 PM
BPG_Austin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. (in response to page 1, pics of CLEAN undercarriage.)
Old 09-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kinglenario
i did my motor mounts in the last two months. where did you get the real porsche mounts for $260 a pair? i think i paid $385 for both of them. i first ordered the Rein mounts and they were not porsche part numbers and did not have the P on them. so i sent them back for the real ones.

this is confusing because the porsche mounts say made in germany. rein makes there stuff in czech republic. i think crazy edie got lucky or the supplier he got them from had a different batch. i tried the same thing and it didn't work out for me...
My apologies... They were 160+ each, so that would be 320 for the pair...
I was happy, not to have to pay 500 a pair, as that's what seemed to be the earlier cost? Not lucky, just can remember things very well anymore

Originally Posted by porrsha
If you know anything about intricate machinery, like old clocks, the experts tell you that you use wind them and use them to keep them working. Sadly garage queens may be prone to failure of parts like these.
Sadly, this is becoming abundantly clear

Originally Posted by savvas944
have exact same problem now on the same side.
i appears to happen from excessive back and fro movement from softened gearbox mounts,
and up and down twist of engine during acceleration and deceleration which allows the whole engine/torque tube/gearbox to twist more than it should ,and with age the rubber gets more
rigid,it snaps .pulls the silicon bag inside and causes it to rupture.
Seen the same on my 968 triptronic as well.
Best is to go semi or solid g.box mount.For the 968 polyurethene windscreen selant is the answer.
The complete assembly will be more secure and mountings will have much longer life.
Well, if my RMS is leaking than I will definitively address that
Thanks for your input
Regards
Ed

Originally Posted by BPG_Austin
Wow. (in response to page 1, pics of CLEAN undercarriage.)
Thanks bud ... Although, I don't know how long it will stay that way, with all the leaks I have
Old 09-19-2011, 04:14 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Hopefully it wont be another 6 years before she is all sorted out..

Old 09-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Hopefully it wont be another 6 years before she is all sorted out..

Naaah I gonna drive the old lady until the leaks are really flowing ....
Then decisions decisions decisions.....
Hope all is well John
Regards
Ed
Old 09-19-2011, 04:48 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Naaah I gonna drive the old lady until the leaks are really flowing ....
Then decisions decisions decisions.....
Hope all is well John
Regards
Ed
Thanks, all is moving along..

let me know when you are ready to get rid of her and start over..

Quick Reply: Anyone ever see this happen to a motor mount?