Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone ever see this happen to a motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats the same spot mine leaks from

not sure if its the rear main or oil pan gasket
Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was gonna say, everything under there looks practically brand new!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Thats the same spot mine leaks from

not sure if its the rear main or oil pan gasket
When I looked up there there was kind of a spray of oil ( i.e. it was like if you put a drop of fluid on a spinning shaft )
Ya know when they say a picture is worth a thousand words but this one comes up a little short
I may also have an oil pan leak in the front of the pan
Regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2011, 01:11 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Thanks bud

LOL
Well, I did for about 250 miles, but now the old lady leaks like a sieve
Here are a few more shots. If you look at the last picture on the top part of the oil pan can you see that drop of oil just above the cross over... Sadly that's going to be my undoing !!
Cleanest 951 I've seen since a dealer showroom.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
It's exponentially cleaner than a new car. See the 951 engine picture thread for a top side view.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I had that rear main seal leak. And it wasn't out of the center part. A scratch from the screwdriver when I pried off the old seal. So I bought ANOTHER one and used sealant on the outside of the seal. It did the trick.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:57 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

How in the world to you get stuff that clean??? I just had mine apart and scrubbed everything until I was blue in the face, and it's nowhere near that clean! How do you do it??
Old 09-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Black51
..................You should just put that car in a vacuum chamber in a museum and never drive it again, and just buy another 951 and drive it instead. That thing's cleaner than new!!
LOL Thanks bud
Originally Posted by George D
Thanks
Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
It's exponentially cleaner than a new car. See the 951 engine picture thread for a top side view.
Thanks Tom
Originally Posted by 95ONE
I had that rear main seal leak. And it wasn't out of the center part. A scratch from the screwdriver when I pried off the old seal. So I bought ANOTHER one and used sealant on the outside of the seal. It did the trick.
This is the orig factory seal ( 23 yrs old ) so hopefully the crank isn't scored
But rest assured I will be careful when I need to pull the seal ...

Originally Posted by Crackership
How in the world to you get stuff that clean??? I just had mine apart and scrubbed everything until I was blue in the face, and it's nowhere near that clean! How do you do it??
Sadly, I did it all in place. Meaning the engine was never removed ... I must have cleaned it 4- 5 times while in the garage, on a carpeted floor
I used oil eater de-greaser with hot water spray bottles, then gas, and paint thinner, and soap and water again ...all numerous times ..
And I used an abrasive wheel in some places. Now it looks like I may have to pull the engine....
WAFJ
Old 09-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I got the exact same on both my cars yet this surprisingly didn't cause any vibration.
It wasn't until I replaced the mounts on both that I noticed they had actually failed.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

The original motor mount designs were fluid filled, and they would collapse/leak. Used to be one of the chronic premature failures of the 944 - water pumps, timing belts and motor mounts. Porsche released several updated parts over the years to correct the problem, finally went to a basically solid rubber mount w/ the 968 mounts. The mounts on the late 944s were better, but 968 mounts pretty much eliminated any premature failure problems of the early versions.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Ed, all I can say is WOW! Beautiful job. Take a little break from it, then attack again.

Oddjob, I thought the fluid was what separated the genuine from the aftermarket. If the genuine are now all rubber, I cant see why they would be so much more effective.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Black51
..................You should just put that car in a vacuum chamber in a museum and never drive it again, and just buy another 951 and drive it instead. That thing's cleaner than new!!
it is a museum piece
Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Ed, all I can say is WOW! Beautiful job. Take a little break from it, then attack again.

Oddjob, I thought the fluid was what separated the genuine from the aftermarket. If the genuine are now all rubber, I cant see why they would be so much more effective.
I dont think the late/current mounts are liquid filled - nearly certain about that. All the prior 944/951 liquid filled mounts are a noticeably different design.

I thought the issue w/ the aftermarket ones is that the cheap copies fail, due to poor construction and poor quality material. But I have never used the fake ones, so I have no experience comparing vibration dampening to the OE mounts.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
I dont think the late/current mounts are liquid filled - nearly certain about that. All the prior 944/951 liquid filled mounts are a noticeably different design.
So original mounts were full rubber, then rubber but liquid-filled, then Porsche went back to full rubber?

It's been two years since I last ordered a set but the last time I heard someone buying new items from Porsche they were liquid-filled.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by dillon410021
it is a museum piece
Dillon -- it's a no-no to use cinder blocks to bear the weight of the car. If one cracks (and they can), the car can tumble off the others, and you end up on the Darwinian award list... Stay safe -- use lumber if you need more height.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever see this happen to a motor mount?