Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

super 48 turbo good? lag?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
mine would reach 15psi at 2800 rpm, with stock exhaust,no cat,TiAL 38mm and a free flowing intake MAF ect
That sounds about right. I haven't paid close attention to exactly when I hit full boost in 4th on my 26/6 but I'd wager at or right below 3000 rpm.

Nice cool air this morning (upper 40s!) so I drove the 951 in to work. Good GOD I love the power from the cool air

Got me to thinking about next steps.

I auto-X a lot, drive on the street even more, and only on occasion do track stuff. So I want something that spools fast first with a meaty mid-range, and has good top-end 2nd. So the 53 spooling "only a couple hundred rpm later" would be a dealbreaker for me... a few hundred rpm on an AX course when I'm trying to pull out of a corner at 2500rpm in 2nd gear might make the difference between FTD and a mid-pack finish.

Ideally I want "chipped Audi 1.8T" spool up time (15psi by 2000rpm!), but with power still in the top end. Not sure if that's really even possible on a 951 without going VGT.

Does anybody know how the Super-48 compares in spool-up and top-end to a stock 26/6? More on both ends? Or do you give up spool and mid-range for more top-end punch?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
That sounds about right. I haven't paid close attention to exactly when I hit full boost in 4th on my 26/6 but I'd wager at or right below 3000 rpm.

Nice cool air this morning (upper 40s!) so I drove the 951 in to work. Good GOD I love the power from the cool air

I auto-X a lot, drive on the street even more, and only on occasion do track stuff. So I want something that spools fast first with a meaty mid-range, and has good top-end 2nd. So the 53 spooling "only a couple hundred rpm later" would be a dealbreaker for me... a few hundred rpm on an AX course when I'm trying to pull out of a corner at 2500rpm in 2nd gear might make the difference between FTD and a mid-pack finish.

Ideally I want "chipped Audi 1.8T" spool up time (15psi by 2000rpm!), but with power still in the top end. Not sure if that's really even possible on a 951 without going VGT.

Does anybody know how the Super-48 compares in spool-up and top-end to a stock 26/6? More on both ends? Or do you give up spool and mid-range for more top-end punch?
yeah we would all love that! with our cars it's 1 or the other or in between sort of.
with 1 of the midrange GT28 turbos you could achieve that spool time but top end wouldn't be that nice.

i dont see any vendor turbos going to spool any quicker then a k26/6
i think the viteese does by a bit but im not 100% sure
Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
i dont see any vendor turbos going to spool any quicker then a k26/6 i think the viteese does by a bit but im not 100% sure
I considered shopping with Vitesse for a turbo this time around because of all the good things I hear. Word of mouth is great PR, but but the bottom line for me is that I refuse to poke and prod a vendor for information that should be readily available on a website like turbo specs, dyno charts, and prices. Vitesse posts nothing of the sort... very frustrating for a potential customer, and the primary reason I've never spent any money there.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I considered shopping with Vitesse for a turbo this time around because of all the good things I hear. Word of mouth is great PR, but but the bottom line for me is that I refuse to poke and prod a vendor for information that should be readily available on a website like turbo specs, dyno charts, and prices. Vitesse posts nothing of the sort... very frustrating for a potential customer, and the primary reason I've never spent any money there.
Agreed. And as at least a few recent threads have demonstrated around here, simply a good rep and word-of-mouth may not necessarily be a good reflection of product quality or capability.

Does Lindsey post their compressor maps, etc.? Never looked.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:44 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

LR doesn't post compressor maps AFAIK, but the website tells you most of the turbo hard technical details, and if you call and chat with Dave, he'll answer any technical question you've got without hesitation. Plus, they put prices on their website, and oh, they have hundreds and hundreds of parts for our 951's in-stock that can be shipped same-day if you order before 3PM central. With the horror stories of past tuners selling parts here, and with what's happened with SFR lately, it seems that LR is one of the few shops that is standing behind our community and plans to stay there for a long time to come.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

drove mine to work today as well Omni! Staring at it just outside of my window right now. Hmm, think I may need to go the bank
Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i know what you mean, thats another reason why i've chosen the turbo im using for by build.

the reason why some vendors wont hand out specs is because they dont want anyone copying their stuff. all that hard work on reasearch money spent on testing and some one comes along and copys them and claims it's their own would cause issues to that vendor.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would like a turbo similar to what they put on a 997 Turbo. Variable geometery turbo. Not sure they make one for a car like the 951. It would be pretty BA though.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:46 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
You would like a turbo similar to what they put on a 997 Turbo. Variable geometery turbo. Not sure they make one for a car like the 951. It would be pretty BA though.
Yup. I mentioned VGT in my post

Nobody makes a bolt-on. I recall ~2 years ago someone here was talking about building a VGT setup. Haven't seen them post in quite a while... not sure if they're even still around or have their car.

Tough part about VGT is control. They're pretty sensitive compared to a fixed-geometry turbo. I messed around a little with VGT back in the mid-90s when I was pretty active with Shelby Dodges. The '89 Shelby CSX (aka Dodge Shadow) was offered with their "VNT" (Variable Nozzle Turbo) and I got some more screwing-around time when I worked for Navistar in the late 90s and early 00s. The Shelby setup was VERY sensitive, it relied pretty heavily on just the right amount of exhaust back pressure to stay under control. Once you threw a free-flowing exhaust, or the cat got clogged, the computer struggled to control the boost and all kinds of wacky stuff would happen. Things got a little better as processing power in control systems improved... some of the Navistar powerplants (like the 6.0L Powerstroke) came with VGT, and it worked AWESOME (we could force over 10psi AT IDLE if we slammed the vanes shut and still flow enough to hold 30psi at 4000rpm.)

I've given some thought to setting up some sort of VGT (maybe source an early Garrett VNT-25 they used on the Shelby) but I'm not sure I want to put in the effort of building a control system for it. Last thing I need is a failure and massive instantaneous boost spike.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:52 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

we really do have some mad scientists on here....

Yup. I mentioned VGT in my post

Nobody makes a bolt-on. I recall ~2 years ago someone here was talking about building a VGT setup. Haven't seen them post in quite a while... not sure if they're even still around or have their car.

Tough part about VGT is control. They're pretty sensitive compared to a fixed-geometry turbo. I messed around a little with VGT back in the mid-90s when I was pretty active with Shelby Dodges. The '89 Shelby CSX (aka Dodge Shadow) was offered with their "VNT" (Variable Nozzle Turbo) and I got some more screwing-around time when I worked for Navistar in the late 90s and early 00s. The Shelby setup was VERY sensitive, it relied pretty heavily on just the right amount of exhaust back pressure to stay under control. Once you threw a free-flowing exhaust, or the cat got clogged, the computer struggled to control the boost and all kinds of wacky stuff would happen. Things got a little better as processing power in control systems improved... some of the Navistar powerplants (like the 6.0L Powerstroke) came with VGT, and it worked AWESOME (we could force over 10psi AT IDLE if we slammed the vanes shut and still flow enough to hold 30psi at 4000rpm.)

I've given some thought to setting up some sort of VGT (maybe source an early Garrett VNT-25 they used on the Shelby) but I'm not sure I want to put in the effort of building a control system for it. Last thing I need is a failure and massive instantaneous boost spike.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:57 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry you got frustrated, not our intention. With so many copy cats around, we decided it's best not to disclose many details.. Even if we disclosed the specs, there is a fair amount of proprietary works that goes into building the turbos, so base specs will not describe the final product. I know of various vendors who got their hands on our turbos (or tried) in order to figure out what has been done in order to duplicate them.

Vitesse has never been a parts supplier. For the past 10 years, we provided performance solutions to match the customer's performance goals and requirements. Our turbos are built based on the customer's requirements and driving style. Our products are designed and built for track conditions. Which necessitates we get involved with each customer to figure out the best match for him/her. Since there is no one size fits all, it's not possible to list prices. This is something we discuss once we know what the customer is after.

A turbo by itself is useless, unless you have the supporting mods upgrading "just the turbo" will not yield the best results. Which is why we offer complete kits with turbo and engine management. We have customers using our products for almost 10 years now. Some have been using the products ion the race track (turbo and engine management) for years, even in 12 hours endurance racing. A simple search will bring up many examples; feel free to talk directly to the customers.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:26 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

John, I have no doubt that you offer extremely capable performance solutions for the 951 community, but your data and shopping approach doesn't match my research style. It's no big deal really, and that's where there are other sources out there with various levels of support, products, and variety. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you will never have a shortage of customers!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:37 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

No problem here. It's always nice to have options.. What matters is that you enjoy the process and the end results.

John, I have no doubt that you offer extremely capable performance solutions for the 951 community, but your data and shopping approach doesn't match my research style. It's no big deal really, and that's where there are other sources out there with various levels of support, products, and variety. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you will never have a shortage of customers!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:29 PM
jss
Pro

just to update what I am after motor is being rebuild as we speak. all stock ecu stuff is gonzo and will be using standalone with bigger injectors
i would like to hit 300whp
Old 10-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jss
just to update what I am after motor is being rebuild as we speak. all stock ecu stuff is gonzo and will be using standalone with bigger injectors
i would like to hit 300whp
standalone, bigger injectors, rebuilt motor? Just for 300whp?

Quick Reply: super 48 turbo good? lag?