Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How much do these V8 conversions really cost ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Texas Performance
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the the offer 95ONE, I plan to weld and polish all the pipe once everything is mocked up and proven to fit. It'll be a while, to many projects in the shop!

Tony is right about the cost. $10k to $15k is a good budget number for a build. You can get a good motor and parts to go with it, You'll be at the upper end of that number for a performance type build.

He's right about the springs also, Like Xschop also pointed out, Stock or Z06 valve springs will not live long with a high lift cam. I install performance LS motors in all kinds of cars, I just put one in my 85' Dodge Truck for that matter. With an aftermarket cam with high lift we always change springs. Most stock spring land in file 13.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Performance
Thanks for the the offer 95ONE, I plan to weld and polish all the pipe once everything is mocked up and proven to fit. It'll be a while, to many projects in the shop!

Tony is right about the cost. $10k to $15k is a good budget number for a build. You can get a good motor and parts to go with it, You'll be at the upper end of that number for a performance type build.

He's right about the springs also, Like Xschop also pointed out, Stock or Z06 valve springs will not live long with a high lift cam. I install performance LS motors in all kinds of cars, I just put one in my 85' Dodge Truck for that matter. With an aftermarket cam with high lift we always change springs. Most stock spring land in file 13.
local guy is selling an ls1 cam/spring/pushrod pack for $85, if that was the setup to use in a 4.8/5.3 motor shooting for ~350hp would they live?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
local guy is selling an ls1 cam/spring/pushrod pack for $85, if that was the setup to use in a 4.8/5.3 motor shooting for ~350hp would they live?
IIRC the LS1 cam is not much different (if at all) than a truck cam. Save your $$$
Old 09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to watch the used LS1 cams as the lobes can be fried. Get the Z06 cam from a 2004-2006 and yellow springs. The High end pull is amazing and you can stay in the Upper RPM's all day as the valves are lighter than the LS1 heads.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:29 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

speaking of cams... I have my previous cam for sale at $200. It made 389RWHP on pump gas and has a nice smooth idle. It's the "old" MTI Stealth 2 grind.

TonyG
Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Texas Performance
You are very welcome. It looked like those were aluminum. Not many people have the tools (expensive A/C current TIG) or the practice on the aluminum because of lack of availability of the first mentioned TIG. Many upper end shops don't really mess with that. So I thought I might offer my tools and time if you need it. Even if you can do it, but don't have the time.. I'm still here. I think I offered to weld Sids pipes. But the shipping and constant fitment/ placement issues would be too much trouble between Colorado and Houston. But, you are pretty close relatively. Offer stands.

Originally Posted by TonyG
speaking of cams... I have my previous cam for sale at $200. It made 389RWHP on pump gas and has a nice smooth idle. It's the "old" MTI Stealth 2 grind.
TonyG
Pretty cool cam. One thing about the valve springs. Many people in the LS world run pretty high spring pressures for the RPM's, AND they run high lift. Those two together are hell on the valve train. (Not to mention improperly matched ones) It is pretty much understood on LS1-tech.com that you should change out your springs every year if this is what you are doing. So, yeah.. they break. I went ahead and shelled out some serious change for my springs just for this reason.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:12 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

I'm running aftermarket beehive springs with my cam.

I've been very happy with the work that Eric from Texas Performance Concepts did for me. Top notch service start to finish and a damn nice guy to deal as well.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+2 for TPC

TPC>RH
Better prices, quality, service, and best of all no B.S.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

he released his long tubes like 2 months after i got the RH headers....I wasn't amused.

+4 for Eric though, great service and prices. After having met the ceo of RH i'm happy I had Eric finish up my swap(wiring, exhaust etc)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Schuepbach
he released his long tubes like 2 months after i got the RH headers....I wasn't amused.

+4 for Eric though, great service and prices. After having met the ceo of RH i'm happy I had Eric finish up my swap(wiring, exhaust etc)
I'd be interested to see how the TPC long tube headers dyno out against the RH headers. Not that the RH headers are special, but they seem to work well as reflected in my dyno results using two different cams. I just wonder how much power is left on the table (if any).

Does anybody here have his headers on a cammed LSx engine with dyno sheet posted online?

TonyG
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Hey... does anybody know if a FAST intake and big throttle body will fit under the 944 hood line?

TonyG
Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

I doubt the Fast will fit, also is it really worth the investment? I hear the HP gains are somewhat minimal versus an ls6 intake on an NA application.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:33 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Schuepbach
I doubt the Fast will fit, also is it really worth the investment? I hear the HP gains are somewhat minimal versus an ls6 intake on an NA application.
Once you get to Tony's level of HP on this motor. Anything north of there starts to truly cost exponentially more. An extra 15hp.. its worth it when there aren't many other places to find power. And your HP fix is itchin to be scratched. The 'OLE Crackpipe of Speed is not kind. Been tryin to quit smokin it myself. .......eh... Not really.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

hhaha ya i understand that, if theres one thing, those intakes fly on ls1tech. I saw one sell in 45 minutes.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Once you get to Tony's level of HP on this motor. Anything north of there starts to truly cost exponentially more. An extra 15hp.. its worth it when there aren't many other places to find power. And your HP fix is itchin to be scratched. The 'OLE Crackpipe of Speed is not kind. Been tryin to quit smokin it myself. .......eh... Not really.
You're correct.

My best guestimate, based on before and after engine dyno runs on very similar engines, is that a Fast 102 intake/throttlebody is worth around 15Hp at the crank over that of a LS6/stock LS6 throttle body.

Why would I spend the money? Becuase of class limitations. Based on my weight (about 2675lbs), I can make about 440RWHP (depending on the actual race weight).

Given this... porting the heads would probably put me over and I'd have to tune the power out/weight the car down.

Another 10 at the wheels would put me close to 430RWHP. Couple that with a smaller crank pulley, larger air cleaner, MAF elemination, should get me very close to where I need to be.

I run in GT2 in the POC which equiv of GT4 in NASA (very very fast company). I defintely don't want to go over that. Going over puts me with 997 Cup Cars and full tube framed race cars, etc... Not good.

So in the end... I'm looking for another 20RWHP, and no more. Heads are a no-go.

TonyG

Quick Reply: How much do these V8 conversions really cost ?