Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How much do these V8 conversions really cost ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 PM
brrgrr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do these V8 conversions really cost ?

Every time I turn around, more and more guys are going with the LSx conversions on these cars.
The guys that have done it - give us a ballpark on what it costs - and if you can break it into a few catagories that would be good -

Donor Engine cost
Conversion parts cost
Labor cost

Grand total cost
Old 09-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also interested! Engine going strong but eventually, well, I want to know. =)
Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

There is a guy I think on the N/A board that did it for <$5k, but most spend more.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm a terrible accountant and refuse to add up my receipts
Old 09-11-2011, 01:14 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't added it up yet. But really isn't that much for the actual cost. It's the while I am in there stuff that adds up. Estimated motor, parts would be about $4K me doing the labor.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Donor engine depends what you decide on putting in. Complete used LS1's range anywhere from $1500-4k depending on condition. Ideally you want one from an f-body car as it has the accessory drive setup needed to fit the 944.

I talked with Eric at TPC about having the swap done, he quoted roughly $13-14k for a turn key conversion depending on options for a turn key conversion.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:27 PM
95ONE
Race Car

SO many details in parts that people miss in their accounting. Like all the hoses, lines, wiring that must be done. The clutch / bell housing adapter parts. Hydraulic throwout, etc. Then of course the engine mounts and hydraboost. Accessory changes if you have to. Maybe a radiator, Oil Pan.. throwout bearing adapters. headers, exhaust etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-11-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:28 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Theres a dude from MD that's on this forum and did it for around 3-4k with himself doing the work. He had an LT1 though. I think it was Lovemyp-car
Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

I have been thinking about trying this conversion on one of my 968s. My plan was to get it working with a running pullout and then thinking about adding HP or cubes. There is a lot of money in freshening up a motor and that is on top of whatever the initial cost of that motor is. Exhaust is going to cost a good bit. Also hoses, ECU programming.

It looks like there is also a lot of thinking time involved in getting everything hooked up and working, then dealing with wire and hose rubs and things like that.

Headers are also pretty expensive, can this be done with stock logs? My plan would be to run quiet through a stock-ish exhaust and so spending a lot on porting and headers might not get me much. Plus I think I could easily meet my performance goals with a stock or nearly stock motor. Logs would suit me fine if they fit.

-Joel.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:27 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Donor engine depends what you decide on putting in. Complete used LS1's range anywhere from $1500-4k depending on condition. Ideally you want one from an f-body car as it has the accessory drive setup needed to fit the 944.

I talked with Eric at TPC about having the swap done, he quoted roughly $13-14k for a turn key conversion depending on options for a turn key conversion.
How about fitting a Z06 engine in there...has anyone done it and the costs associated with the conversion assuming it will be done by a shop professionally?

Interesting question- I am also curious not that I'd go down that road any time soon but it's good to know the options.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Which Z06 engine are we talking about? C5 Z06 with the LS6 or the LS7? The LS1 and LS6 are for the most part identical in terms of mounting and a few guys on here are running them. The LS7 i dont know much about. I have been looking into doing the swap on my car also and have seen LS1, LS2, LS3 and LS6 swaps. Id like to see someone put in an LS9 though . My big concern though with running any engine with that much power (LS7 and the like) is traction.

I have an LS3 sitting in storage for a rainy day..
Old 09-11-2011, 03:58 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
How about fitting a Z06 engine in there...has anyone done it and the costs associated with the conversion assuming it will be done by a shop professionally?

Interesting question- I am also curious not that I'd go down that road any time soon but it's good to know the options.
Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Which Z06 engine are we talking about? C5 Z06 with the LS6 or the LS7? The LS1 and LS6 are for the most part identical in terms of mounting and a few guys on here are running them. The LS7 i dont know much about. I have been looking into doing the swap on my car also and have seen LS1, LS2, LS3 and LS6 swaps. Id like to see someone put in an LS9 though . My big concern though with running any engine with that much power (LS7 and the like) is traction.

I have an LS3 sitting in storage for a rainy day..

Exactly, because a few LS6 engines have been installed recently. So.. I'm going to guess you mean the LS7.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS7 is a dry sump engine. So that might cause an issue.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
SO many details in parts that people miss in their accounting. Like all the hoses, lines, wiring that must be done. The clutch / bell housing adapter parts. Hydraulic throwout, etc. Then of course the engine mounts and hydraboost. Accessory changes if you have to. Maybe a radiator, Oil Pan.. throwout bearing adapters. headers, exhaust etc. etc. etc.

Bingo, the little stuff really adds up. Not to mention that the headers and exhaust will cost you $1,500 to $1,800 by the time you are done.

My estimate is 8 to 9K for a diy job. Mine was funded by the sale of two 968 engines and still have a whole bunch of 968 parts to sell as well.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I took the easiest way out. A little more expensive, but hey, whatever works

It makes sense to do the swap on a 944 if you're attached to the platform or want something "different." If you just want a V8 car you can tweak on the cheap and go racing then take (an objective) look at the C5. Their prices are stupid cheap right now and only getting cheaper. No traction issues, no worries about drive line durability, and a huge aftermarket with comparatively low prices vs. Porsche.

And now to don my flamesuit as someone is sure to take issue with this post.

Quick Reply: How much do these V8 conversions really cost ?