Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How much do these V8 conversions really cost ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much do these cost as compared to what?
Doing a rebuild on the factory 2.5 isn't cheap.
Throw in a upgraded turbo, MAF kit, headers and exhaust, etc, etc, etc, etc and you start looking at serious money. If I had know going in, what kind of money I was going to be spending for my rebuild/upgrade project, I would have done a V8.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
And now to don my flamesuit as someone is sure to take issue with this post.
No flame suit from me. I would have gone that route for my track car, but I have so many spares for my running gear and wheels, that it just didn't make sense to start from scratch.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 AM
brrgrr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No flames here - I had a C5 back in 1997 and they are nice cars.... just a little too "big" feeling for my taste. Maybe an FRC or Z06 would feel smaller. I like the Turbo power delivery - it's a nice contrast to my E36 M3 daily driver.

I do find it interesting that the V8 guys aren't exactly lining up to tell us the total costs of the conversion - a good indication it cost more than they want to admit !!!

Originally Posted by Scott H
I took the easiest way out. A little more expensive, but hey, whatever works

It makes sense to do the swap on a 944 if you're attached to the platform or want something "different." If you just want a V8 car you can tweak on the cheap and go racing then take (an objective) look at the C5. Their prices are stupid cheap right now and only getting cheaper. No traction issues, no worries about drive line durability, and a huge aftermarket with comparatively low prices vs. Porsche.

And now to don my flamesuit as someone is sure to take issue with this post.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$10k-$15k, for a high quality conversion.... depending on if you do the conversion or someone does it for you by the time the dust clears...

TonyG
Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I talked with Eric at TPC about having the swap done, he quoted roughly $13-14k for a turn key conversion depending on options for a turn key conversion.
Originally Posted by TonyG
$10k-$15k, for a high quality conversion.... depending on if you do the conversion or someone does it for you by the time the dust clears...

TonyG
A couple of good answers and about the cost I would have guessed...
Old 09-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by brrgrr
I do find it interesting that the V8 guys aren't exactly lining up to tell us the total costs of the conversion - a good indication it cost more than they want to admit !!!
The answer will depend on your starting platform and your final goals. For instance, when I dropped a 968 engine into my 924S, I had the cost of the engine, clutch, S2 tranny, brake upgrade (968 calipers and rotors), and larger wheels and tires. Then when I added the supercharger, I upgraded the brakes to TurboS and stiffened the rear so that I did not squat so much coming out of corners. Now I've added the LS1 and my running gear is fine, so that is not an cost for this build. But realize, that if you drop a monster LS engine into a stock 944 you will need to upgrade many things to make it work. Afterall, what's the use of having all that power if you can't stop the car or make it turn.

Last edited by Lemming; 09-12-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine is currently at about $10k and it was a DIY job. That cost includes some extras that weren't stictly necessary (mild engine mods, big red brakes). Still need a high performance radiator, which looks like it's going to be about $700 or so. Overall, it's probably not much more than what it would cost to make 400 bhp from the turbo engine, and I think it's going to last longer and be cheaper to maintain. Time will tell.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tony's numbers hit it right about where I've had it estimated when I was looking at doing this last year. Of course, I'm a cheapskate and was going to use an LT1 but would prefer an LS3 (I think it can still use the A/C?).
Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

A friend of mine built a 951 V8 track car 2 years ago. He put over $17k into it.

All depends on what you start with and how meticulous you are. An iron block truck engine from a junk yard will cost less than a new LS3 crate engine. Power brakes, power steering, working AC and a reasonable exhaust also add a lot more.

I'd say it's legitimate to say $5k to $20k. And anywhere in between.

Gee, that's almost like the price of a 951... depending on condition and performance, they range from $5k to $20k!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 AM
AtharRazvi
Advanced

Originally Posted by azbanks
How much do these cost as compared to what?
Doing a rebuild on the factory 2.5 isn't cheap.
Throw in a upgraded turbo, MAF kit, headers and exhaust, etc, etc, etc, etc and you start looking at serious money. If I had know going in, what kind of money I was going to be spending for my rebuild/upgrade project, I would have done a V8.
I agree. I put about 7k in my engine rebuild (bore, hone, deck, JE pistons, resurface head, competition valve job, new clutch, PP, rebuilt turbo K29/6, ARP head studs and rod bolts, all new bearings and gaskets, new engine mounts, new hoses, etc etc), and I'm not done yet...

If I would have known it was going to cost this much, I would have considered V8 swap as well. It will be interesting to see if someone posts a well documented price for the swap.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

I'm finishing mine up and these are rough numbers

Full on conversion kit w/ RH radiator and Headers: ~5k
LS1 long block w/ spun rod bearing: 350 bucks
Cam: 400
used LS6 heads w/ patriot springs: 400
Machine work (full balance, hone, valve check/angle job, heads milled, and engine gasket kit): ~2k
wiring harness: 400

That puts you at 8550 but doesnt include stuff like sensors, hoses, bolts, engine accessories, and somehow mating your new headers to watever exhaust you want to run(i have dual 2.5" straight pipe)

If you can do all the work yourself, look at spending about 10k.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm so for that chunk of change, $10-20K, a nicely built 3L is not out of the question either. Different strokes for different folks...

Also has anyone turbo a V8 conversion? Probably overkill but just the thought get me a little excited.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

you could probably do something like an STS rear mount turbo setup.

What may fit is a nice vortech s/c, nothing really going on at the passenger side of the engine aside from the lone belt tensioner. You will more than likely have alot of heat issues though lol.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:03 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Hmm so for that chunk of change, $10-20K, a nicely built 3L is not out of the question either. Different strokes for different folks...

Also has anyone turbo a V8 conversion? Probably overkill but just the thought get me a little excited.
not mine, but...
Old 09-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

for those of us that know eric, we know that car is a bit more than a regular v8 swap

Quick Reply: How much do these V8 conversions really cost ?