Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine oil temp on a stock 951

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002 | 04:20 PM
eugene
Racer

Post Engine oil temp on a stock 951

Has anyone hooked up an oil temp gauge on a stock
951(w/aftermarket chip @1 bar and no additional oil cooler)

Curious about what kind of oil temps at the track.

Thanks.

Eugene.
Old 12-12-2002 | 05:51 PM
wasteg8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eugene--
The first track season I ran w/my car I was seeing 275--285 degrees on the aftermarket (VDO) gauge. On really hot days the needle would tickle 295. This was with a bone stock motor and cooler. I experimented with different oils--brands and viscosities--but was still unhappy with those high temps, so out came the a/c and in went a big cooler, remote filter and accusump. In the 2 seasons since, I've never seen the temp climb above 225 even on hot days at Watkins Glen. If you're going to track your car, I'd highly recommend a cooler. If its for street only--no need to worry. But I'd install an aftermarket gauge just the same--as you know, the factory instruments provide little more than a rough estimate! Good luck
Old 12-13-2002 | 12:46 PM
eugene
Racer

Thank you WASTEG8

BTW, where did you get the cooler ?

Eugene.
Old 12-13-2002 | 02:33 PM
Terry Morris
7th Gear

Back in '95 I developed a kit for adding a cooler in line with the stock cooler. It does not mount in front of the radiator or effect the brake ducting. Sender was located on return line from coolers to engine.
Tested at Heartland Park Topeka
Stock config 257 F (yikes!)
Kit installed 202 F
Also saw about 1/2 mark reduction on H20 guage.
I have many of these kits out there, including several recently to listers, and those with guages have confirmed these readings it be very accurate. It is easy to install basically bolt on. Oddly, the NA runs oil temps slightly higher than this in stock form. (Tested the same way with same kit)
Senders mounted in the oil pan will see higher temps because the oil has already been on the hot parts.
I have more test and kit info if you are interested.
trymorris@cs.com

I hope this post is not bad form. Please forgive if so.
Old 12-14-2002 | 05:49 PM
wannabefaster
Intermediate

Terry, i'm potentially interested. Tried your email got this:

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to air-xj03.mail.aol.com.:
>>> RCPT To:<trymorris@cs.com>
<<< 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND
550 <trymorris@cs.com>... User unknown
Old 12-14-2002 | 08:25 PM
Michael Weinstein
Instructor

Smile

Terry, can you post more details about this kit and its pricing? Email me privately if you don't care to post on the board.
Old 12-14-2002 | 10:12 PM
GaryK
Racer

I have Terry's oil cooler kit on my '89 as does another local lister on his '88 S. I don't have an oil temp gauge hooked up, but my oil pressure is now about 1 bar higher then previously on hot track days. With only the stock cooler, oil pressure would drop to 3 bar on the straights when hot (even with 50wt racing oil); now it stays near 4 bar. The rod bearings must be happier.
Installation was straightforward, though it's a tight fit with the brake duct. And with the second cooler in series with the first, the oil thermostat controls flow to both.
Old 12-14-2002 | 11:14 PM
sm
Drifting

Gary,

Do you have pictures and can you tell us the price of the kit?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2002 | 09:43 AM
GaryK
Racer

Sorry, I don't have any pics, but should soon (digital camera on the Christmas list). The cooler sits behind the driver's side fog light bucket, which I cut out and covered with a screen mesh. The fog light can be reinstalled, but of course that would cut off flow to the cooler. Price and availability info you should get directly from Terry.
Old 12-15-2002 | 10:02 AM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

So Terry were those numbers on a car with or without the fog light in place?
Old 12-15-2002 | 11:01 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been thrilled with Terry's kit. My H2O temps were getting near the red and oil press. falling to less than 3 bar at high revs on the track. Now the water never gets higher than 1/2 on the gauge and the pressure stays up around 4+ bar at speed.
Old 12-15-2002 | 12:36 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys, found an archive from around '99 of a thread on oil coolers. Thanks go to dan10101:

<a href="http://members.rennlist.org/dan10101/docs/TC_OIL%20COOLER.doc" target="_blank">http://members.rennlist.org/dan10101/docs/TC_OIL%20COOLER.doc</a>

There is mention of an oil cooler kit which mounts in front of the A/C condenser, which would be nice for a car which sees a fair amount of street use. I imagine the restriction in radiator airflow would be offset by significantly decreased oil temps.
Old 12-16-2002 | 01:57 PM
Terry Morris
7th Gear

As to the question on the if the testing was done with the fog light in place. The light was removed and 3 - 1.25" round holes were punched into the back of the light bucket. Most of my customers have just cut out a ~2" x ~8" slot in the bucket which would be easier to do and supply more air. The kit allows the same amount of air to reach the new cooler as the stock cooler gets so it will also help for street driving with the light installed. As with any oil cooler, air flow rules.
Yes, is a tight fit, but, what isn't in the front of these cars. It will work with both the stock brake duct or the "cool brake" kit that has been popular and track cars.
My home email was wrong. (old habits and old mind) it is trymorris@***.net
I will respond with your info requests from home this eve.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine oil temp on a stock 951