Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

steering wheel does not return to center!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 09:55 PM
Raul951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post steering wheel does not return to center!

I have an 86 951. My question is, whenever I make a turn left or right, the steering wheel stays a few degrees in the direction in which I turned. I removed the steering wheel to more or less center it and Im wondering if the small indented dot towards the top of the shaft is the center point for the wheel. Im wondering if this is a symptom of the rack going out or if its just out of alignment. It seems to roll prety straight so Im questioning the rack...
Old 12-15-2002, 10:20 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Time to check front suspension components. I.e. tie rod assemblies, control arms, bushings, etc. You may be needing an alignment also.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:31 PM
Raul951
Intermediate

I have checked the rod ends, they have torn rubber boots...ball joints also , but I doubt that that would cause the wheel to be off bout a quarter of a turn...also, do you know where the center of the steering would be on the shaft?
Old 12-15-2002, 11:04 PM
Chas
Pro

I had the exact same problem. When I would make a hard left or right turn, the car would always want to veer to that direction. I replaced the control arms, and problem solved.

Who knows if it is exactly that for your case, but I agree with Luis in that you should definitely check over your front suspension.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:29 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem is lack of caster. If you haven't recently changed something (arms, struts, settings, etc.) then you have sufficient wear in a pivot bearing component or pivot to cause a change - very bad. Get it checked, but remember that the tradeoff for high caster and fast centering is higher steering (initial) effort.

Quick Reply: steering wheel does not return to center!