Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Got my new old war torn front racing clip (NEW PICS 8/20)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my new old war torn front racing clip (NEW PICS 8/20)

the condition was thoroughly discussed before I purchased it, and I couldn't be happier. I will have the metal frame without any of the fiberglass bolted on by the end of this weekend. I can then add all the supporting pins and stuff that are now missing. Then I will mock up the fiberglass pieces. Lock them in place and repair / strengthen the rough spots. It will then be painted with the rest of the car. The hood will be the biggest challenge. But. It won't be a complete restoration, but it will be 75% and look fairly new when I am done. I will also be putting in removable HID lights in the obvious places. I'm excited. I can finally finish the front of the car.

Also working on the LS6 (Franken LS6) at the same time. I will have the fully re-built bottom end done by this weekend also. Maybe a bit more than I can chew, but that's my goal. Here are a few phone pics

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-21-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool, looking forward to the details
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Bruce, you should fix it up all super nice and neat...then get a c/f version made up.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:16 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Good to see you got it! Sorry I wasn't able to help with transport. Can't wait to see it on the car!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:42 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by blown 944
cool, looking forward to the details
I'll be posting up pics of the Clean up and rework in this thread.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Bruce, you should fix it up all super nice and neat...then get a c/f version made up.
Helllllll No. Don't need anymore projects right now.

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Good to see you got it! Sorry I wasn't able to help with transport. Can't wait to see it on the car!
oh.. no worries. I was happy you even thought about helping ! And I can't wait either!

Originally Posted by disasterman
I like it.
I'm worried about how it will look against the rear fenders, but not too worried. (Obviously) I am really in love with the fact it has history, and isn't just the same old GT racing front end everyone else has. The price has a LOT to do with it too It will eventually be a very dark charcoal on the sides with a white hood. I can't wait to let you guys see this car after everything has been painted / powdercaoted. It will really change the whole look. What you have seen so far is quite boring.

Someone buy my 3.0 liter motor! And front bumper. I want to finish this project!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Here are a few pics of the tube frame underneath the lower bumper. The radiator and fan came with it. You can see I have a little bit of fitment. A little cutting here and there, but not too bad actually. It only attaches to the car in 4 spots. both frame rails and the shock towers. I will be wire wheeling the steel frame after fitment and powder coating / painting it. Then I will reinforce ad re-fiberglass all the cracks and tears. Re-use or Replace aluminum panels and re- rivet here and there. final float of body filler and re-paint.. that's all just for this lower portion. The same will have to be done for the fenders and hood. Although the fenders are actually in great shape. The Hood is almost toss able. I might keep it, I might make / buy another one. Remains to be seen.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Very nice. Did you just pick this up?

If you need a spare 944 I'll sell mine at a special deal for you my friend, lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I just got it in. It took quite a while to design the Shipping box. Order all the cut pieces from Home depot. have home depot deliver it. have the seller put the box together and, arrange shipping after that. Seller was out of town cumulatively for about a month. No big deal. I have it now. I'm very happy with the sellers willingness to build the box for me and deal with packing it. He clearly stated in the sales ad that was not what he wanted to do.. I'm pretty lucky actually.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:30 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Small Update. I got the main box tube cut to approximately the proper length, and the nose of the car cut to the proper length. So I was able to set the panels on to get a good idea of what it's going to look like. HAWT!. My really cool Porsche project seems to be turning into a badass Porsche project.

Here are some pics..

Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 577 Posts

Bruce that looks killer!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:21 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

More motivation for you Bruce!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
2bridges
Drifting

coming together nicely
Old 08-15-2011, 02:44 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by eclou
Bruce that looks killer!
I know right!? LOL. I can't wait until everything is painted.

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
More motivation for you Bruce!
I was lookin for that pic.. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 2bridges
coming together nicely
Project has hit full speed again. Thank you.

After about a day of work, I have measured and measured and measured again to make sure this thing fits on here as it should X, Y, and Z axis. Then all the cutting and welding that had to happen to make it easy to bolt on. Here is a pic of just the frame. I will be ordering the paint for the interior, engine bay and this frame tomorrow. I will be sandblasting the bumper frame this week. 968 motor will be coming out this week also. I'm almost done putting the Short block LS6. That Should be finished by the end of next weekend. I plasti gauged all the main bearings today.. All pretty damn good. Spins nicely in there.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Here are some more pics of my progress. Cleaning that paint of was difficult and messy But it was worth it. I also wanted to show you where I was going with the 3.0 motor as far as looks. I was just going to drop this on you guys when it was done, but since it's leaving soon...

First. The front bumper frame.

A pic after I removed it from the fiberglass bumper

After initial sandblasting. got all the corners first since it's impossible to get in there with sand paper.

And then after a full sanding

And finally in the paint booth after a coat of white, and then the nightmare pearl gray. (not what i would have named it)

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-21-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Got my new old war torn front racing clip (NEW PICS 8/20)