Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Will 89T axle assembly fit 86T

Old 02-01-2002, 11:05 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Will 89T axle assembly fit 86T

I know the individual components are different, but will a complete 89Turbo axle-CV assembly fit my 86 turbo? Is there any advantage in doing this over the early assembly? I'm looking for strength here...

I see in the archives that the early CVs can be replace with Type 4 VW bus joints. Are they the same unit in the 86 turbo? I'm concerned that they can't take 300hp.

Thanks,
DanD
Old 02-02-2002, 01:36 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just buy the vanabog cv joints separate. That is the cheapest way to go. THe LORBO units are the same all over the 944's life. as well as most audi's I understand (like my 4000s quattro)
Old 02-02-2002, 02:05 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Lukesilver95186:
<strong>just buy the vanabog cv joints separate. That is the cheapest way to go. THe LORBO units are the same all over the 944's life. as well as most audi's I understand (like my 4000s quattro)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I did a search for vanabog, and found nothing. Do you know who has them? Are they stronger than the Lorbo units?

I'd much rather replace the entire axle. I've replaced and repacked these enough times... Here's my delema. I have found the complete 89 turbo axle unit for $145. Is it the same dimension, length, bolt holes and so on as the 86. The CVs are different part numbers, I suspect the number of splines are different on the shaft making all the parts different.

So far Luke is the only one brave enough to respond. Surly someone knows the answer to this. If you tell me, I'll gladly give up my parts source!

Ok, Another way to ask the question. If I install a Turbo S transmission on my 86 951, do I have to use the Turbo S axles or can I reuse my old axles. Someone must know the answer to this question.

Thanks,
DanD
Old 02-02-2002, 02:09 AM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wrong! The inside splines are not the same on the CV's through different years for the axles, and the VW bus CV's have less of a degree of travel than the 944 (that could break your stub axel or worse), I have read that the type 4 bus would work but when I checked it out no it wouldn't, actually it will fit and is a little beefer but I didn't want to chance it (944's have more vertical travel). I did find one(same part)from the VW parts bin that would work but it was no cheaper than what I paid from Vertex. I think if you use axles and CV's from later years they will work, all Cv's stated in this post were in reference to the 86 turbo.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:13 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lorbo units are made for all applications the vanabog to the 944. I was not given an option off 944 year while purchasing mine

Mine with stood 290hp without a problem. I dont think you can find them cheaper than $54 any where.
Old 02-02-2002, 05:43 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Jason @ Paragon had the lowest prices on CV joints the last time I checked. Around $40 or so I think.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:00 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
DanD,

There are early and late axle/CV components but if you bolt up the entire axle/CV assembly, it will work on any year. Like Booster said, there are a different number of splines between the two assemblies but if you're bolting up the entire unit, it doesn't matter.

I'm currently running a later axle/cv assembly on the driver's side and the original '86 assembly on the passender side. I've run it at the track and haven't had a problem yet.

You asked about strength and the ability to handle more power... I don't know that the later units are better able to handle more power or not.

I purchased my axle/cv assembly thru Jason at Paragon for $164 or so.

Hugh
'86 951
Old 02-02-2002, 06:47 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by ninefiveone:
<strong>DanD,

There are early and late axle/CV components but if you bolt up the entire axle/CV assembly, it will work on any year. Like Booster said, there are a different number of splines between the two assemblies but if you're bolting up the entire unit, it doesn't matter.

I'm currently running a later axle/cv assembly on the driver's side and the original '86 assembly on the passender side. I've run it at the track and haven't had a problem yet.

You asked about strength and the ability to handle more power... I don't know that the later units are better able to handle more power or not.

I purchased my axle/cv assembly thru Jason at Paragon for $164 or so.

Hugh
'86 951</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hugh,
THANK YOU! Just the answer I was looking for

DanD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will 89T axle assembly fit 86T