Europroducts chips....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 11:49 AM
Aegean racer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Europroducts chips....

Hello guys,
I am new in this forum and hopefully soon a 951 owner.
I just wanted your general opinion on the Europroducts chips for the 951. How do they compare to the other ones on the market, not only in terms of performance, but at this point regarding the reliability of the engine, amount of strain put on a 100+K miles engine etc.
I want to look at a car with this set of chips and i want your invaluable opinion and what i should be aware of.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:31 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The PO of my car installed a set of Europroducts chips on my 88 951. I don't have the advantage of before/after comparisons, but the car does feel very quick, and the boost comes on smoothly. I got the car last November, it has 107K miles on it, and I've done three track days so far this year with no problems at all. I'm planning on doing a dyno run in the near future, but I don't know that I'll bother trying to do a run with the stock chips installed for comparison.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:57 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, no use doing the stock chips since that's already been done on a fresh engine. Check out <a href="http://www.novustelecom.net/~fkassam/dyno/dyno.html" target="_blank">Farzaan's Dyno Day</a>. It covers quite a few aftermarket chips and how they compare to the stock car. Also a couple of comparisons between aftermarket chips. If you want a comparison that's not covered, let me know and I'll see if I can't do an overlay of two dyno charts.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:04 AM
Finn
Intermediate

I have used a set of Europroducts chips/shims about a year now.I also have Lindsey BE installed.My car is a '88 951.
Car feels much stronger than with the original chips.So far i have been very satisfied.
My car has no 130K miles on it.With Europroducts chips about 15K miles.

Finn
Old 05-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

I replaced the stock chips in my car 2 years ago when I bought it with 28k miles on the car. Car now has 48k. Chips made a big improvement. Europroducts also recommends drilling the cycling valve. They also use a shim on the wastegate. The only thing I did not do was drill the cycling valve because I don't understand what it does and how it works along with the other compnents on the car. According to Europroducts the cycling valve mod when done with these chips is where the big improvement comes from. The thing about chips is how do they handle the fuel requirements. When I talked to the owner there he said these chips were the same as the cup car chips. They handle the additional fuel requirement, which is due to the additional boost that the chips allow, by pulsing the injectors longer. He said he was only aware of one instance where a head gasket blew, but it is supposedly because the customer did a lot more mods to his car. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:27 AM
Aegean racer
Intermediate

Question

Thanks for all your replies guys. So what level of boost are you running with these chips? And how does it compare with APE or other chips that also raise the boost.
One of the replies i got, stated that the boost is not raised by these chips, based on the stock boost gauge. Can you confirm that this is incorrect?

Regards...

P.S.: Danno, very informative web site, i didn't see though a Europroducts chips dyno run.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:06 PM
Danno
Race Director

Yes that's right. Chips by themselves do nothing but remove the stock overboost-protection (kicks in at 13-14psi). And they richen up the mid-range fuel-metering for the increased flow and retard the timing somewhat. But chips DO NOT RAISE your boost! You need some way to raise the boost, such as a restrictive banjo bolt, wastegate shims, or a manual boost-controller.

Running aftermarket chips without raising the boost will actually give you a slower car because of the extra fuel and retarded spark.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:30 PM
aka 951
Pro

The Europroducts chips are very similar to stock with a little more timing and a little more fuel on top. They also have the rev limit raised by about 200 rpm and the boost cut eliminated. Thats pretty much it and hopefully should end the bs. I'd go with a good set of chips that had more aggressive part throttle fuel and timing if it was me.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:06 PM
Danno
Race Director

How do they add more fuel on top? What's the duty-cycle? I think the stock chips come up to about 80%?

"I'd go with a good set of chips that had more aggressive part throttle fuel and timing if it was me."

yeah, I didn't the like Autothority Stg.2 chips at all. The mid-range was way too rich and ignition was pulled back way too far. Even at 15psi, partial throttle/mid-range power was weaker than stock.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:38 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

So what are a good set of chips that have a marked improvement over stock?
Old 05-02-2002, 04:12 PM
Danno
Race Director

My personal choice would be the Turbo Cup Car chips; not sure how to get a hold of those. Next up would be the SteveR chips. But these still wouldn't be as good as a custom-developed set of chips optimized for your particular car with dyno-tuning.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Where can you find chips from SteveR?

Quick Reply: Europroducts chips....