Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

First autocross event, got my butt handed to me

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is one of the in car videos we took racing Jordan's NA car. It was not set up well Fo threw class at all and running super skinny winter type tires and I still came within range of taking the class.

Taking video is a good way to see what you are doing with your hands, where you are looking Etc.

This is not a perfect run, but When done right actually looks a little boring from the video perspective.

Jordan driving his first run.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Cole I'm right in the middle of buying a 955S..watching that clip makes me want to dig a little more for the Turbo...lol
Old 07-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I auto-x'ed my '00 Civic Si (EM1) a few years ago and had a hoot of a time, even finished 3rd in my class my first time out back when I lived in PA.

There is definitely some sage advice in here and I took full advantage of the expertise offered by the guy that invited me to the event along with two ride-alongs - he won his class in a Talon TSi AWD.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:00 PM
stogie25
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cole is a great instructor. The power steering bracket that broke in my 944 AGAIN is awaiting parts, so I will miss the August 6th PCA autocross that I was planning to attend. I now plan to fix the car that weekend AGAIN instead. My new plan is to attend the August 27th PCA autocross. This year my car is much better setup because of tires and suspension mods.

Info on the August 27th autocross below:

RMR-PCA Presents:

Smokin' ConesBBQ and Autocross

Saturday, August 27

On Saturday, August 27th, 2011 at Front Range Airport, set on the western border of the world’s largest grasslands and America’s Great Plains, chef Denny Mildenberger, owner of Over-The-Fence BBQ, will prepare his masterpiece BBQ creations to the accompaniment of a world class autocross course for your enjoyment and pleasure. The airport venue allows for a long and fun course with lots of room. All are welcome to autocross during the day and enjoy bbq and beer in a timely succession. And you will be faster because you can't wait for the BBQ that you have been smelling cooking all day! Or just come out at 4:00 PM for a beer and BBQ social. And not just any beer, either. Professional brewer Sarah Henderson will be serving her hand crafted ales and homemade root beer. Fellow RMR member Stan Peters will be serving homemade ice cream made in the world's finest John Deere gasoline powered one cylinder big flywhee l gear reduction very heavy trailer mounted ice cream maker. You gotta see this thing!

Menu:
Autocross: $35 per person
BBQ and beer thirty served at 4:00 pm: $10 per person (best bargain in town!)
7 to 8:30 Complete Autocross Setup (Volunteers Needed)
7:30 to 9:00 Registration/Check-in/Course Open for Walking
9:15 to 9:45 Drivers Meeting (Mandatory)
9:45 Corner Workers Out (Group B)
9:45 Group A Grid and Top Tech
10:00 Group A – First Car on Course
12:30 Lunch Break (No Concessions)
1:15 Corner Workers Out (Group A)
1:15 Group B Grid and Top Tech
1:30 Group B – First Car on Course
4:00 Course Tear Down

4:00 BBQ, Beer Thirty, and Ice Cream!

Note: Number of run groups will change. We are trying to have each car drive at least 7 runs split between AM and PM. Regardless, start & finish times are the same.

Details:
Registration opens July 1 and closes August 23. Click the RMR Event Registration link on the club home page rmr.pca.org. Walk-ups will be welcome.
Event is also open to licensed 16 and 17 year olds. RMR Junior Participation forms and instructions can be found under the forms tab of the club’s website. Please read them carefully.
A Porsche is not required, nor is RMR membership. Only SUV’s with a Cayenne badge are permitted and no pickups. Convertibles are ok. Restrooms are available onsite, however no concessions are available nor are any nearby. Please remember to bring your own lunch and non alcoholic drinks during the day. Coffee and rolls served in the morning. RMR requires a Snell 2005 rated or later helmet. The club has several loaner helmets available.
Visit the Porsche Club of America Rocky Mountain Region autocross school webpage for lots of really good information on how best to prepare for, enjoy and participate in an autocross.

Directions:
Front Range Airport - Directions to the Autocross Site Caution: Do not use dot com maps or GPS using the airport address. These services will take you to the terminal only and not to the site of the event. 1-70 East to the Manila Road Exit 299 (County Road 28) Turn Left (North) on Manila Road to Highway 36 (Colfax Ave) Continue North on Manila Road over the railroad tracks and make the first right (comes up quick) through the gates. Follow the road East and then North to the Autocross location and RMR signs.
If you can volunteer to assist the chair in setting up the course and other activities to make this a successful event please call Hap Henderson at 303-888-7373 or send an email to hap7844@aol.com or Keith Hall at 303-940-7958 and keith_hal@msn.com.
See you there!
Hap Henderson and Keith Hall, Co-chairs
Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Took the 951 Vitisse special to an autocross last sunday. No LSD is a BIG problem for autocross versus a DE. If I want to win an autocross I will take the Mini Cooper S next time.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by tkrtape12
Wow Cole I'm right in the middle of buying a 955S..watching that clip makes me want to dig a little more for the Turbo...lol
Honestly a steel spring Cayenne S would have done better thamy air suspension turbo on that autocross course.

There was no opportunity to use the turbo and the air suspension was a bit too soft even in the sport mode.

However, I was not going to really complain about it since I beat one 951 by 5 seconds and a 944 by 7-8.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Nice...yea I'm looking at a Black or a Grey 05 S Nav. yes no air suspension I wanted to lower stance w Eibach's...Black has 21 inch HRE P45L and Grey has Turbo S wheels both close on miles 56k...where can I see pics of the 928S4...truly one of my favorites.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Cole
Drifting

If you haven't, go drive a turbo before buying a 955s.

.....my 928s4.....love this car

The decision I must face every morning.....

Old 07-28-2011, 01:35 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know guys I know it can be done but to me a 951 at an autocross seems like a knife in a gun fight!

I like my little 2000 lbs Tercel (for the tight stuff) it will have to run in the modified class when I go but anyone could drive it around an autocross quickly a 951..not so much.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Honestly a steel spring Cayenne S would have done better thamy air suspension turbo on that autocross course.

There was no opportunity to use the turbo and the air suspension was a bit too soft even in the sport mode.

However, I was not going to really complain about it since I beat one 951 by 5 seconds and a 944 by 7-8.
Woah woah woah wait air suspension? Details please. Are you talking about a 944 on air? I've always wondered if anyone ever attempted that, is it so?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 AM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Default Toys

SCHIP...Thant's funny(Knife in a gun fight) Cole sweet garage...I just got rid of my Red FX35...I will test drive a Turbo...I'll keep you posted...Thanks There's a local guy w a supercharged 928S4..sounds AMAZING...IMO one of the best designed cars..I'll have one some day..
Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2011, 04:19 AM
Slide
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole

cole,
is your cayenne stock?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Woah woah woah wait air suspension? Details please. Are you talking about a 944 on air? I've always wondered if anyone ever attempted that, is it so?
Cayenne turbo has air suspension.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

To the OP. You haven't actually told us much about your car either? You can bet that the guys at the pointy end of the field weren't just driving Mom's BMW shopping car. They'd have trick suspension and possibly Hoosier A6s. btw I thought you went well. You have naturally good hands from what I could see.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slide
cole,
is your cayenne stock?

Chipped, turbo S lower control arms on 22" wheels for summers. At the autocross it was on "all seasons". Laid the rear seats flat, sport suspension mode. There was no chance to get boost on the course. That's why a Cayenne S may have done better.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
To the OP. You haven't actually told us much about your car either? You can bet that the guys at the pointy end of the field weren't just driving Mom's BMW shopping car. They'd have trick suspension and possibly Hoosier A6s. btw I thought you went well. You have naturally good hands from what I could see.
I drove the OP car a few weeks ago. Nice car, but not currently set to be the most competitive auto Xer. Certainly not against guys set up to do it all the time.

Quick Reply: First autocross event, got my butt handed to me