Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey Boost Enhancer video review

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 AM
zentrose
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lindsey Boost Enhancer video review

I decided to put the LBE on. I was planning to wait until I got the rogue A-tune, but I got bored today. I just got a call from Joshua saying that the A-tune will be shipping out Monday and I will be receiving it later on in the week (wed or thurs probably)!

I am worried about the increased boost I saw with the LBE because I have stock chips. My temp gauge was creeping up. So, I'm fairly certain I was running dangerously lean! I can turn the LBE down or just wait for my a-tune to come in. The LBE really didn't seem to help with spool up time. However, it seems like it will function as a mbc when I get my rogue a-tune. So, I'll just leave it on there. Has anyone encountered a problem with the LBE?

Please leave me suggestions for the A-Tune video I am planning! THANKS!

video review: (note: when I say monday I actually meant wednesday or thursday)

enjoy!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:42 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Dyno run or wideband AFR kit would be a good move probably, + an aftermarket boost gauge, pretty much standard advice.

Last edited by blade7; 07-24-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 AM
boerge
Instructor

Not sure what to say about the vid, the comparison sequence was good to some extent, maybe finetune and stick to that section and you are good..
Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 AM
zentrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by blade7
Dyno run or wideband AFR kit would be a good move probably, + an aftermarket boost gauge, pretty much standard advice.
I have looked at the kits lindsey offers. Do you know of any other vendors that offer a good gauge kit?

I was hoping not to mess with boost, I just want to improve drivability of the car.

Anyone know of dyno places in central ca? I know of a couple in bakersfield, thats where I had my z28 tuned.. Only problem is thats kinda far.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:44 AM
zentrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by boerge
Not sure what to say about the vid, the comparison sequence was good to some extent, maybe finetune and stick to that section and you are good..
What sort of comparison would you like to see when I get the a-tune? Im thinking to do a similar test and also a 3rd gear 60-100 run.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 AM
boerge
Instructor

I'd say if you drive the same road, from 1st or second, starting in the excact same place, same conditions, all the way up to xxx mph, then it could be a nice watch.
You seem to be good in editing/synchronizing, possible a slow replay of the same speedo/tach sequence would clarify.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:34 PM
zentrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by boerge
I'd say if you drive the same road, from 1st or second, starting in the excact same place, same conditions, all the way up to xxx mph, then it could be a nice watch.
You seem to be good in editing/synchronizing, possible a slow replay of the same speedo/tach sequence would clarify.
Ok sounds good. The reason I split up the vid between the two gears, is that second gear is really finicky. I like your idea of starting in second. I can start from a slow roll off the boost and maybe run it up to 120mph.

And you are right, keeping the locations/conditions consistent is also important. I know a perfect place to film a high speed run with smooth pavement, no people, no cars, and no property that could be damaged. I will be clear on the conditions that each shot is filmed in on the a-tune vid!

And of course I'll have a friend drive the car . I don't want to be posting a vid of me doing something illegal on youtube.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:46 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LBE should give you more boost up to the max your cycling valve would normally start releasing at. Not more max boost.

What were you observing for boost? Could be the lines or connection to the cycling valve are not solid.

Trying dialing down the LBE 2 turns and see what that reduces boost to? It may be set at higher level than you want?
Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 PM
zentrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by GreyDog
The LBE should give you more boost up to the max your cycling valve would normally start releasing at. Not more max boost.

What were you observing for boost? Could be the lines or connection to the cycling valve are not solid.

Trying dialing down the LBE 2 turns and see what that reduces boost to? It may be set at higher level than you want?
Yea thats what I thought. I need to get a real boost gauge . The factory gauge was almost reading about (estimate) 1.9 BAR. It appears to be even higher in the video because of wide angle gopro camera trickery.

I think you are right about it being set too high. I will fool around with it right now.

OH do you know the best place to order a boost gauge is? I have seen the kits lindsey sells and they look sweet. What other options do I have?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:11 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

nice comparison.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:00 PM
zentrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by dillon410021
nice comparison.
Thank you sir! I like the color combo of that car in your sig. Im not usually a fan of those wheels, but your car looks good! Makes me want to paint my wheels haha.

I ordered a cheap boost gauge at kragen. I liked the looks better than the auto meter one they had there. It has a warranty. I will exchange it for the auto-meter one if it doesn't work well.

Since the next video will show illegal speeds. I will have the standard res go-pro filming the boost gauge and the 1080p go-pro on the gauge cluster. That way, the guy who is driving my car will remain anonymous.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:44 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

heres a recent video of my car

Old 07-24-2011, 10:50 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, I noticed the boost was slightly higher with the LBE, which can also be a function of how high the LBE is set before it releases pressure signal to the CV to trigger the wastegate, so some delay in the mechanisms can cause slightly more boost.

Best bet on the gauge question is to do it right and buy a dual gauge panel (A piller or lower dash cubby) and also put in a Wideband O2 sensor/controller/gauge. You are really only guessing at what the engine is doing, and its real data to help you understand how closely your ECU is tuning to Stoich.

Lots of guys use Innovate widebands, LC-1 is less expensive but good.

PS: Great video editing, setting the stock vs LBE comparison at the same RPM to compare !
Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Nice comparison video

This is my 1988 951 with just a LRBE at 18lbs

The old 1989 951 with 60-1/10 at 18lbs

The current 1988 951 60-1/8 at 15lbs

And this is out playing with the terd
Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 PM
zentrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by GreyDog
Ya, I noticed the boost was slightly higher with the LBE, which can also be a function of how high the LBE is set before it releases pressure signal to the CV to trigger the wastegate, so some delay in the mechanisms can cause slightly more boost.

Best bet on the gauge question is to do it right and buy a dual gauge panel (A piller or lower dash cubby) and also put in a Wideband O2 sensor/controller/gauge. You are really only guessing at what the engine is doing, and its real data to help you understand how closely your ECU is tuning to Stoich.

Lots of guys use Innovate widebands, LC-1 is less expensive but good.

PS: Great video editing, setting the stock vs LBE comparison at the same RPM to compare !
I was thinking to run my car on the dyno and have the guy measure my A/F ratios. In your opinion is the wide band gauge absolutely necessary at this point? I am thinking to install just a boost gauge for now to make sure the boost stays lowish around 13-14 psi max.

I am not thinking to run high levels of boost right now. I am fine with the top end power actually. I got these parts to help with drivability. Its a weekend, date night, drive through yosemite, make me look cool car. I don't intend to race it around lol. This is why I got rid of my Z28, I got to know the local law enforcement very well with that thing

Thanks for the video complement!

Quick Reply: Lindsey Boost Enhancer video review