Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Even more swedish engine trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Fredrik H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Even more swedish engine trouble...

Background:
3.1L build, running Link g4, sequential ignition, vr-trigger sensor, LS2 coils, all new harness. Started it in May, ran really well for a first start (there is a clip in the 3L registry). Had just one problem, the alternator would not work.
When deleting some old alarm devices and trying connections to make the alternator come alive, there was a short and some cables got burnt. So replaced the cables that I could visually see were burnt, and installed another alternator (still stock). Alternator worked fine.

After this the car was running like a bag of nuts (swedish expression - not good). Idles around 800 rpm, wants to die, and misfires allt the way up to 2500 rpm, it wont go any higher. To rule out problems with the main harness that was burnt, we routed new cables from the battery only supplying the ems, coils, starter etc. Still running like cr*p. Smells unburnt fuel and sounds like an old Volvo 240. Tested new plugs etc., pulled injector after injector, but the problem is not located to any specific cylinder.

So, thought the Link EMS must be damaged and sent it to the other side of the planet, it was tested and OK:ed. Tried another set of coils, another trigger sensor, rerouted the trigger cables. Same problem. Even disconnected the alternator cables and eventually even the belt. No improvement.

Have a few weeks left of summer here, and i just MUST drive this thing, then its back to work. Really frustrating.

Cant really see anything in the logfiles indicating something is wrong (according to Duke) It must be ignition related but I just cant see what we are missing here. All the problems that the short may have caused should be elimininated by building the "by pass" electrical system, and I can´t see any components that could have been damaged except the Link ems, which was fine.

Please, experts chime in!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds more like the fueling is off. I'm not familiar with the system but can you track the map voltage and see if it corresponds with the proper tuning cells

Quick Reply: Even more swedish engine trouble...