Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crackership's build thread - TURBO install starts on page 12

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 01:31 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I got the problem with the crank not turning solved. Turned out I had the timing gear on backwards.

And today, I put it all back together:

and then tested for vacuum leaks with this guy (and that soapy water you can see all over everything in the pics):

And, unfortunately, I have a leak at the #4 intake runner gasket

I'll have to pull it apart again tomorrow evening to see what's causing it. So stoked it went together though!! Getting close
Old 12-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I started it! It runs! It doesn't appear to leak! I didn't break it! Hooray!

Now I just need to put the pans back on it and take it off the stands. And then DRIVE IT!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:40 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats Dave!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:53 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Good job
Old 12-05-2014, 02:52 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by refresh951
Congrats Dave!
Originally Posted by gruhsy
Good job
Thanks guys.

Well, it looks like I've done something wrong.. It won't boost and it it drives badly.

the only thing I can think I might have done is gotten the timing off by a tooth. I was super super careful to make sure I didn't, but I can't think of anything else that would make it seem very lethargic and then not boost. anyone have any other ideas??

I've got a log from the drive if anyone is interested.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:57 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the flywheel and timing marks?

Drived badly? how?

Post the log, a section of it trying to boost. I'm on a Mac, can't view a log unless it's in excel
Old 12-05-2014, 05:36 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Vacuum / i-c couplers?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Cam timing is easy enough to double check.... might as well look at that first.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
check the flywheel and timing marks?

I checked the flywheel and timing marks.. It seems right through the little window in the cam gear cover. Although, when the flywheel is perfectly at TDC, the cam gear mark appears to be ever so slightly before the absolute center of the window but I can't see being able to get it any closer by moving it over a tooth. Am I wrong?

Drived badly? how?
well, there's a couple unsettling sounds I can't identify happening when I drive it. One happens all the time but increases in speed and volume with RPM/load. It's similar to an exhaust leak or maybe a valve tick, but it seems too loud to be a valve tick and too tinny to be an exhaust leak. I don't know what it is but it's loud.

The other sound, I believe, is associated with the turbo spooling but it doesn't sound anything like any turbo I've ever heard, it sounds more like an electric motor or maybe somewhat similar to a supercharger whine. This noise is a lot quieter.. almost hard to hear over the exhaust and the other sound. Also, there is no perceptible "normal" turbo sound, although I think 9psi was about the most I managed, so maybe the turbo doesn't make any "normal turbo sounds" at that boost pressure? I don't know, it's new to me.

There's also an odd vibration, but I'm pretty willing to attribute that to maybe not having the balance shafts timed right. None of the tutorials I can find for the timing/balance shaft procedure mention that there are TWO keyways in the the balance shaft gears, allowing them to be installed at two different clockings. So I just guessed when I put them on. Is there something I missed in the procedures explaining which way they go on?

Beyond that, the car is just sluggish, not enormously so but definitely noticeable. Throttle response is very lazy and what little boost happens is very slow to happen.

Post the log, a section of it trying to boost. I'm on a Mac, can't view a log unless it's in excel
How do I do that? I can't seem to find an export to excel or csv option in the Tunerpro software..

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Vacuum / i-c couplers?
It's definitely possible, I was having a hell of a time getting the intake manifold to seal, I thought I got it with some permatex on the gaskets, but maybe it just sealed temporarily? I don't know. I have a set of stock gaskets on the way to see if I'm just not having luck with the LR gaskets.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:59 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crackership
Thanks guys.

Well, it looks like I've done something wrong.. It won't boost and it it drives badly.

the only thing I can think I might have done is gotten the timing off by a tooth. I was super super careful to make sure I didn't, but I can't think of anything else that would make it seem very lethargic and then not boost. anyone have any other ideas??

I've got a log from the drive if anyone is interested.
Did you, by any chance, put a wrag in the IC pipe, to keep anything from falling in it? Have you checked the IC hose clamps?
Old 12-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it's the balance shaft belt, the vibration feels like 2x the rpm of your engine. you can feel it.

very had to make out what you're trying to explain. the injectors could be loud. as for the turbo noises. You'll need to get use to it until you realise what makes what sound when.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Did you, by any chance, put a wrag in the IC pipe, to keep anything from falling in it? Have you checked the IC hose clamps?
No, but I had to check to be sure . I would never have thought of that, and, if it had been the case, I would have been chasing the problem everywhere else forever, so thanks for making me check!

if it's the balance shaft belt, the vibration feels like 2x the rpm of your engine. you can feel it.

very had to make out what you're trying to explain. the injectors could be loud. as for the turbo noises. You'll need to get use to it until you realise what makes what sound when.
Sorry my descriptions were very poor, but I got it all figured out, so at least I can tell you what my poor descriptions were of

You're totally right on all accounts. The vibration was the balance shafts, I'd mistaken the "O" for "Zero" and had put both balance shaft sprockets on the same way. I found this tutorial from Clarks-Garage and it set me straight. Moved the bottom one to the other keyway and the vibration is gone.

Also, the "weird turbo noises" were just the fact that the Holset sounds completely differently than the k26. The Holset's noise is a lot more of a whine to the "woosh" of the k26. It just hadn't occurred to me that the sound would be that different form one turbo to the next...

The loud ticking/banging was the weirdest one... I kept thinking it sounded like an exhaust leak, but it really sounded like an exhaust leak at the manifold, and I didn't take any of that side apart, so I couldn't see why it would have developed a leak. Then I got to thinking I'd cracked a manifold while prying the the crossover pipe around to line it up with the new turbo. I had myself pretty convinced that was going to be the case. Then, just on a whim, I threw a wrench on the manifold nuts and, lo-and-behold, all of them turned 3 and a half turns without any effort at all. So, I tightened them up and there's no more banging. I have no idea how I managed to loosen those up without touching them, but whatever.. it's fixed, so I'm happy

Just took it for a logging run and it drove great! Super happy. Unfortunately, the log appears to have been corrupted, TunerPro crashes immediately when I try to open it, but I watched it out of the corner of my eye a little while I was driving and I know I hit 15psi for sure and it pulled like a freight train!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:09 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it worked out. Don't ask how I knew to suggest that.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:23 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Glad it worked out. Don't ask how I knew to suggest that.
I can guess

I just got back from doing some more runs with a buddy on the laptop with the logger so I could get some good logs and set the boost....

The car is noticeably faster now.

Also, full boost easily in 1st gear is totally new and really cool.

Also, holding boost till redline is awesome.

Quick Reply: Crackership's build thread - TURBO install starts on page 12