Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Low oil pressure on the track - fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 12:40 PM
smokey
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Low oil pressure on the track - fixed!

After upping the power on my 1986 951 to 290 hp, I found the oil pressure on the track dropping to just over 3 bar after a few laps. Installed a 25 row Mocal oil cooler in front of the AC condenser, and oil pressure is now 4 to 4.5 bars, water temp is ok, and the AC works (off track). I added some screen behind the grille because the cooler is vulnerable. The cooler was obtained from BAT with the lines (-12 hose), with 90 degree fittings at the cooler. The hoses were plumbed directly into the oil filter at the other end. Works like a charm, and I now have room for the Cool Brake ducts on the side where the old cooler used to sit.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:40 PM
GaryK
Racer

I had similar results with an auxiliary oil cooler I installed behind the driver's side fog light. It is a 13 row Mocal cooler plumbed in series with the stock cooler and sitting on top of the brake duct. Currently, I have a grille over the opening I cut out of the housing, but the fog light can be reinstalled though it would block airflow to the cooler.

This past weekend at the track, in 100F ambient temps, my oil pressure stayed at 4 bar and the water temp never higher than 2/3rds (new radiator as well). Previously, the oil pressure would drop to 3 bar as you say and the coolant was on the verge of overheating in these conditions.
The complete oil cooler kit w/lines, etc is available for $295 from KISS Engineering/Terry Morris (316-858-6140).
Old 07-16-2002, 05:45 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Smokey,

You have any pics of the install. I just bought the 25 row Mocal from BAT also and have been trying to fabricate a mount for the same location as your's.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2002, 06:49 PM
smokey
Pro

I had considered the smaller cooler in series, but I wanted to keep the car looking stock. The 13-row cooler also sounds like a good installation, and it certainly works, from the sound of it. I will try to take some pictures of the installed 25-row cooler next week when I have the car on the hoist, but the installation is fairly simple in principle. There are four steel bars, two short ones at the top and longer ones on the bottom, that bolt to each corner of the cooler and to some natural mounting points at the top and sides near the condenser. I'll do my best to post some pictures.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:55 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smokey,

Did the steel mounting bars come from BAT or did you make them ?
Old 07-17-2002, 10:08 AM
smokey
Pro

The installation was done by G-Tek here in Toronto, and they made the steel brackets from standard stock. They charged me an arm and a leg, but it's a beautiful job. It requires measuring the spans, cutting and doing some drilling with some 90 degree twists on the brackets. I asked them if they'd like to do a kit for others, but unfortunately they weren't interested. I bought two coolers from BAT with hoses, and G-Tek charged me the second cooler, which I ordered for them as a favour, to install mine. They took their time, and it looks factory.
I need the car on a hoist to take pictures, and I hope to do that soon. Routing the oil lines so they're clear is also important. This cooler and the lines add almost two liters of oil capacity, which also helps.
Another trick Jon Milledge mentioned to me is to install a second factory cooler on the driver's side in parallel with the standard one, but I wanted to keep it simple. After what I spent on the engine, this new cooler and the other oil mods are cheap insurance. Let us all pray to the Number Two Rod Bearing.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure on the track - fixed!