Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

front mount intercooler and pipes complete

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you use to measure your temps? i actually want to measure mine when i get my car on the road.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 PM
blown 944
Race Car

I have used an omega 4channel logger and my egt meter as well as a STD single channel meter.

Last edited by blown 944; 07-08-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
I had read prior to installing it that It is not needed for any street car and most track cars, that the stock IC was sufficient. I had measured over and over to make sure I was seeing correct readings and with 3 different measuring devices I saw the same thing. At 25 psi I was getting 375 degrees pre ic and 180ish post. I just couldn't see that running that much temp into the engine could be a good thing.
After testing my own temps on my 3L, I'm among those who think the stock intercooler does a very good job of keeping the temps close to ambient. With a little cruising between boosts, the stock intercooler did a good job of keeping my temps close to ambient. With constant boosting as you might get on a track, heat soak does become an issue and temps creep up. That said, all bets are off at 25psi, and I'm not surprised you saw the temps rise at that boost level. Nice fab work on the pipes. Remind me never to show you my MIG welds. Aren't the side braces you cut out structural in front there -- don't you loose rigidity by cutting them out?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:46 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Tom, unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a 3.0 to keep the boost down. I do agree that the stock ic does a great job for the most part. My temps were good at lower boost. I just don't run low boost often, it's either set to 22,25 or 30 psi on my controller. I can run 17 psi if the controller is turned off (spring pressure).

In regards to the bracing that was cut out. Yes it did compromise the intregrity of the front end. I have used a couple threaded rods to replace it until I bend some tubing and weld it in.

As far as the welds go. There are a couple areas where I think they look nice. I tig welded it all. If I had taken more time fitting the pipes so I didn't need any filler rod they would be pretty sharp. I did have one really crappy weld where the BOV flange is mounted to tge extension pipe. That was a mother to get any heat into. Mucho amps and 1/8" rod finally did it. I'm hoping I can clean it all up for polishing at some point, but I'm more of a function over form guy so who knows when that'll be..
Old 07-08-2011, 04:39 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work Sid...I'd love to hear what she sounds like....PM
Old 07-08-2011, 05:32 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always pushing the envelope!!!

Did you see direct correlations with intake temps and egt?

Quick Reply: front mount intercooler and pipes complete