Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR MAP conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 10:36 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim, is that carbon fibre intake tube made completely of carbon fibre, or is it a metal tube wrapped in a layer of carbon fibre sheet?
Old 09-30-2002, 10:47 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can say Tim has helped many out on this board. I joined Porsche list on the email side just before it became Rennlist and at that time Tim was simply TurboTim. He has been a definite resource in real-world solutions for these cars. His welding capabilitiy is artisan level.

Danno's comprehension of the DME system and his electronic background is really second to none. I can understand your need to represent. . .

I think Tim nailed it in that when you run an office and are trying to keep the lights on, you wont have the time to post headgasket dissertations necessarily. He is a Rennlist sponsor (finnancially) and not just a member. I hope someday I can afford one of his exhaust pieces.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:13 PM
Outlaw952
Instructor

SFR:

Looking at your website, it looks like you have a picture of a "kit", which includes the computer, controller, chips, intake pipe and filter, and what looks like an adjustable FPR, but I didnt see a kit listed there. Also, how is the installation? PnP or SnC (Splice n Cuss)?

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:51 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK Tim, no hard feelings
I am sure Danno will also have some shortage of time soon when his business gets bigger.
What iam most interesting in this discussion is pricing & support.Even though i am not Danno's customer (have not bought a single thing from him) i have got so much support from him.
I am sure you handle your customers well too, but if your support is more person-to-person, it won't help other Rennlisters.
It's quite usual when hobby turns into business you don't have time as you used to have.I can understand you live with your business, but i hope you don't get too "greedy" and keep your profits at the right level, so "normal" people can still buy your stuff.
What comes to many Porsche aftermarket parts sellers, their prices are just too high.Guru Racing has so far kept their prices at the good level.I hope you do the same thing.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:02 PM
TurboTim
Banned

This is what we have come up with for pricing our system........We are going to have our basic kit that retails for $1000.It includes the Link unit, 3.0bar regulator, MBC, VDO boost gauge, chips, filter and adaptor. It does not include the hand-held controller. Ok let me rephrase that. We will send out the controller on the initial purchase(a core charge will apply) to fine tune the idle and this controller must be sent back unless the person wants to buy it for $275.

To make it easy on people we will not offer any other kits then this basic one. Now we will have different options that add to the price of this basic kit. For example if you want the 2.75" to 4" carbon fiber intake pipe it will add $395 to the price. If you want intercooler pipes, then you need to add $325 to the price. If you want an adjustable fuel pressure regulator then you add $155 to the price. If you want a new wastegate then you add that to the price, etc......

Basically, the more you buy, the more you save. If you buy your base LINK system from someone else then you will pay full retail on our carbon fiber intake pipes or our intercooler pipes, etc......

If you already have some of the items in the basic kit then we will sell you what you need.This is the reason we are setting up our pricing structure this way. Most people that buy these kits already have something done to their cars and they dont want to buy things twice. Well they dont have too.

The system is easy to install, you tap into a few wireson the DME and run a vaccum line from your KLR to the Link and thats it.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:03 PM
christian
Racer

Talking

Sounds fair! If I wouldn't have already bought the MAP 2 kit from gururacing I sure would go for that nice carbon fiber intake. Looks great!
Old 10-01-2002, 01:39 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Tim,
Have you installed the 4" carbon intake on an '89? Will it fit?
The hard coolant line extending almost all the way to the resevoir on the '89 vs. the rubber Y-piece on the older cars (like my '88 non-s) makes things really tight for 4".
Thanks
Old 10-01-2002, 02:49 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Question

I must say i have a little bit mixed emotions at the moment.Just looked Tim's web-site and must say his kit looks nice.Feel little bit sorry for Guru's.They "developed" MAP-kit for 951 first and now there is allready competition! Maybe Guru's were too "open" when they told about their plans on Rennlist. OK, this is "western model" to work.I suppose soon there will be Huntley & Lindsey as well.I suppose Lindsey made a mistake when they went to MAF-route, even with this new digital system.It's hard to belive if somebody choose a MAF-route now.
Who will win this battle? I suppose those companies who have good pricing, good additional products, good support and the last but not the least the good reputation. We all know which companies fullfill these statements.I would like to wish best of luck to all "competitors"

BTW: Tim, is the throttle body you use a Edelbrock item ?
Old 10-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Lavigne:
<strong>Tim, is that carbon fibre intake tube made completely of carbon fibre, or is it a metal tube wrapped in a layer of carbon fibre sheet?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tim, I'm not sure you saw my question. It looks like the fittings near the throttle body, the iac, and the bypass valve are metal. Is it metal only on the connection ends or is it actually a metal tube wrapped in carbon fibre?
Old 10-01-2002, 08:54 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote] It's hard to belive if somebody choose a MAF-route now. <hr></blockquote>

case in point:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1865068715&rd=1" target="_blank">MAF auction</a>
Old 10-02-2002, 01:34 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Steve,

The original prototpye was stainless piping wrapped in carbon fiber.I talked with the guy who is doing it and we are now going to just use a 3-4" stainless insert with all the fittings and the rest will be carbon fiber.If this works out ok, we will be dropping the prices of the carbon fiber intake pipes $50-75! Whoo hoo:^) We are also going ot be wrappinmg our intercoler pipes in carbon fiber. However these will just be aluminum or stainless pipes wrapped in carbon fiber.We would like to do the intercooler piping in carbon fiber but we cant because of the heat that would run through it. We will also be releasing carbon fiber gauges panels, pillar mounts fuel injector covers, various other engine dress-up items, some various dash pieces and some cool body parts.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:30 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by TurboTim:
<strong> We will also be releasing carbon fiber gauges panels, pillar mounts fuel injector covers, various other engine dress-up items, some various dash pieces and some cool body parts.</strong><hr></blockquote>

keep us posted!!! sounds awesome
Old 10-02-2002, 02:42 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Talking

Carbon fibre seems to be "popular" stuff right now.I have just started to fabricate some items as well, mainly interior & engine dressing up parts.The best thing is the price; zero $ since i got all the material free from a friend.Ok you just can't count how much your own labor cost...

Tim,
how about that throttlebody on your system ? Is it a Edelbrock unit??
Old 10-02-2002, 02:56 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by TurboTim:
<strong>The original prototpye was stainless piping wrapped in carbon fiber.I talked with the guy who is doing it and we are now going to just use a 3-4" stainless insert with all the fittings and the rest will be carbon fiber.If this works out ok, we will be dropping the prices of the carbon fiber intake pipes $50-75!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cool! I'm not particularly hot on carbon fibre solely as a dress up option, but I love the idea of having it actually save weight while looking cool as well.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:07 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

[quote]BTW: Tim, is the throttle body you use a Edelbrock item ? <hr></blockquote>

I asked this couple of times, but Tim didn't answer.
I got the answer from a fellow rennlister (Thank's Matt !)it's the BBK Power Plus unit.

Quick Reply: SFR MAP conversion