Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice!
Old 01-23-2002, 11:50 PM
Sean951
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cut my own panel. Total project took 2 hours. Out line with a crayon the cutout that you like on your stock nose panel or make a template out of cardboard. Use a rotory zip tool to drill and cut the patern that you choose. Cut on the inside of the line so you can clean it up with a die grinder w/round file when you are done. The "pucker" factor while doing this is huge, but if you are careful you can make the cut, clean up the edges with a file and not have to repaint. Remember it is better to remove to little material than to much! As for the effeciency of the intercooler it is improved tremendously by the moving air and increased flow; plus it looks awesome!
Old 01-24-2002, 12:20 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I think sean's are by far the nicest ones that I've seen
Old 01-24-2002, 01:41 AM
JGriff
Racer

Originally posted by Sean951:
<STRONG>plus it looks awesome! </STRONG>
That it does!! That is one awesome looking car!!

I love the rims!! Tell us more!! What brand? What size? Where did you get them? If you don't mind... how much?

Also, the fog light/driving light setup is very nice. Can you tell us more?

The holes in the panel look like there is a rubber surround on the edges. Is that true, or did you just paint them black? Or am I just imagining things this late at night (i.e. 12:35 a.m.... gotta' get up for work in about 5 hours!!)?

Do you have a website with more pics and info?

Thanks.

Jim
Old 01-24-2002, 04:07 PM
Sean951
Track Day

Thanks Jim, I don't mind sharing at all thats why I love this forum to see everybodys ideas about these cars. The wheels are 3 piece 18"h x 8"w fronts and 10"w rears. They are HRE Turbo Twists made in Italy. Tire sizes are 225/40 fronts, 265/35 rears. I have ran them for 2 years (Summer only) and the traction is fantastic. Ride is actually better than my 16" Fuchs. Price $2200 for wheels.

No, you are not imagining things there is a nice black strip of auto trim around the edges of the nose. The trim makes it look factory rather than bare sheet metal edge. The other thing not obvious in my pic is the intercooler duct that I fab.ed out of aluminum sheet metal and powdercoated gold to match the car. The duct forces the air flow directly through the IC.

The lights are an on going expirement that seem to work really well. They are simply 4 Pilot driving/fog lights @50 watts each that I made brackets for and mounted to the stock locations after a stone took out one of my stock fogs. I screened them in with wire mesh that I chroma keyed to the car color. They are bright and I can even drive without head lights on at all. I wired them for inner and outer on/off switches and added a switch along with stock on/off switch to control power in the cabin. They are individually adjustable for angle and give a nice radius of light while driving.

Sean
Old 01-24-2002, 08:03 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Sean,

Those vents look great. So does the rest of your car. How is the trim attached and is it just basic car trim? How close did you cut from the line, or how much did you have to file off? I have been thinking about doing this mod for the last year. Never thought about doing it my self, but a rotary dremel tool should do the trick. Have to see if my brother in law has one. Did you paint the filed edge once it was done to protect from corrosion. I imagine touch up paint could be used. Did you pull the panel to make the cut? Sorry for the questions. One more.

What do mean by puckering?

John
86 951
Old 01-24-2002, 08:47 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

you know...clenchin' the 'ol butt cheeks!! I can imagine the pucker factor is indeed huge, especially at the beginning.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:57 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Talking

Old 01-24-2002, 10:30 PM
Sean951
Track Day

You probably would not want to use a Dremel tool to cut the nose unless you have an extremely steady hand and a veriable speed setting since they usually spin between 15,000rpm and 35,000rpm. A rotory zip tool has a round depth guide attatchment on it near the tip of the cutting bit. You will set the depth that you want the bit to penetrate the panel and the round guide will level the tool against the panel while you cut your patern. The guide on my rotory tool is metal so I used felt material to pad it against the painted nose. I was very careful to cut along the lines and it still looked like I couldn't cut a straight line to save my ***. This is where the careful use of a die grinder with a capable air compressor cleans things up. I probably removed another 1/16" while filing. The cutting was done on the car while the panel was loosely fitted and the black trim uses simple automotive adhesive and yes touch up paint works just fine on the panel edge. One word of advice though be very careful, if you are the kind of guy that uses a hammer to fix things don't try this @ home. If you like a little challenge, anybody that took shop class can do this otherwise take the nose to any reputable bodyman and have him do it.

Good Luck, Sean

I used to be somewhat mechanically challenged but my Porsche motivates me.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:00 PM
Sean951
Track Day

One more note on cutting the panel. You will have to cut the inside bottom edge off of the nose or it will show the factory bracing through the newly cut holes. Use your trusty die grinder to do this with a cut off wheel and remove the bracing leaving .5" on the inside edge. This is the bottom edge of the NP that touches the bumper cover when mounted. If you remove your NP you will see the bracing that I am talking about. Sorry for the vagueness but, it has been 2 years since I performed this surgery.

I have either 1) empowered some of you to try this successfully or 2)F---ed up a number of list memeber 951 nose panels. lol.

Sean
Old 01-25-2002, 04:07 AM
pikey7
Drifting

sounds like getting a stockpile of nose panels could be a better investment than buying into some blue chip companies
Old 01-27-2002, 08:41 AM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by perry951:
<strong>Jim -

Your nose piece looks like the fiberglass one that Performance Products has. You can tell by the cutouts. I think that is the one I will go after if I cannot get a used header panel for mine. (Not to mention $175 to vent it + cost of panel will be about the same $$ as the fiber one.)

Very nice car.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks.

Yesterday, I removed the nose piece. It is indeed fiberglass. So... you are probably correct... it was probably bought from Performance Products (unless someone else also sells them).

I am planning on installing an OEM Porsche hood crest on it... hopefully today.

BTW, I swiss-cheesed my airbox yesterday. FWIW, I posted some pics in a post on the Pelican forum (since the images can be embedded in the post).

Here's the URL:

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58056" target="_blank">S2 airbox mod</a>

Jim
Old 01-27-2002, 08:51 AM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Sean951:
<strong>Thanks Jim, I don't mind sharing at all thats why I love this forum to see everybodys ideas about these cars. The wheels are 3 piece 18"h x 8"w fronts and 10"w rears. They are HRE Turbo Twists made in Italy. Tire sizes are 225/40 fronts, 265/35 rears. I have ran them for 2 years (Summer only) and the traction is fantastic. Ride is actually better than my 16" Fuchs. Price $2200 for wheels.

No, you are not imagining things there is a nice black strip of auto trim around the edges of the nose. The trim makes it look factory rather than bare sheet metal edge. The other thing not obvious in my pic is the intercooler duct that I fab.ed out of aluminum sheet metal and powdercoated gold to match the car. The duct forces the air flow directly through the IC.

The lights are an on going expirement that seem to work really well. They are simply 4 Pilot driving/fog lights @50 watts each that I made brackets for and mounted to the stock locations after a stone took out one of my stock fogs. I screened them in with wire mesh that I chroma keyed to the car color. They are bright and I can even drive without head lights on at all. I wired them for inner and outer on/off switches and added a switch along with stock on/off switch to control power in the cabin. They are individually adjustable for angle and give a nice radius of light while driving.

Sean</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the info. Your car is an inspiration!!

Thanks again.

Jim
Old 01-27-2002, 12:04 PM
lou951
Instructor

The nose panel ducts do make a difference. I noticed that my car responded better especially on hot days. As for cooling the intercooler, everything helps. I had a bodyshop make my cut outs. He copied the radius of the bumper cut outs carefully. Also he created a lip so as to finish off the cut. Since I was repainting the bumper because of stone chips, he painted both things at the same time. The whole thing cost less than the ill-fitting fiberglass piece from Performance products.
[img][[IMG]

Quick Reply: Cut slots in Front(badge) panel