Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What are the things you dislike most about your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Damien Cort
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What are the things you dislike most about your car?

What do you dislike most about 951s? Be completely honest, I want to know. Reliability? Potential? Power? Let's hear it.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:01 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cost for go fast goodies...

Example... standalone engine managment for my friend's 96 camaro Z28 is $500....well he said fuel managment...but anyway..

MAF for his car is I believe less than $500...

Headers, exhaust and all that **** actually do something. His car puts out 280 to the rear wheels according to G-tech...stock hp is 285 to the flywheel.

Tis the problem with a car thats already pretty tweaked...all the go fast stuff costs big bucks..
Old 01-17-2002, 11:56 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I need a new tranny. That's about it.

Like Adrial sadi though, people think they can charge us more for the same stuff. But if you look, there are some real deals out there! My MAF was only $575. We will see in about a month or so what a $600 MAF can do you ya!
Old 01-18-2002, 12:23 AM
keith
Drifting

i hate the open diff, the slow shifting, and the fact that any wheels you can actually AFFORD for the 951 will bend if you look at them the wrong way.

Also the !@#$ early 951 exhaust system.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:52 AM
Andrew
Instructor

Timing belt worries but i have no personal experience. Ask perry about that.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:54 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

What do I not like about 951's? That fact that I don't have one, nuf said.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:12 AM
fletch.
Instructor

Nothing pisses me off more than the glue tht they used for the carpet. I took it ourt and I can't get the glue off the chassis without taking the paint with it!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2002, 05:00 AM
tecart
Pro

bad rear seat glue job by porsche factory, the rough ride over bumps, the fact i cant put larger than 4X6 speakers in the doors or rear, the rattling hatch crap noises, the price for factory porsche oem parts,the fact the stock 944 turbo battery is such a weak piece of... with low cold cranking amps, the porly designed dash vent cracks and tears, the fact i get stuck in 2 inches of snow due to light weight and low center of gravity, the stock wheels finish is pitting up a bit, and i got no cup holders, but i do get to 100 fast and thats all that i desire in a sports car, damm those hatch rattles
Old 01-18-2002, 05:17 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's see, where do I start?

The cost for labor and parts should count at least several times each...

The cost for mods, considering the 951 is supposed to be the performance, near-exoctic bargain of the century, and one of the easiest cars ever to mod (according to all the BS mags)...

The SUNROOF- The ONLY thing I like about it is it's rather large size, but having it be electric to just have the rear raise up 2" is RIDICULOUS! Also, the damn lid weighs 19LBS! That's a good amount of weight for a panel at the TOP of your car. I've always wondered why they couldn't have come up w/a see-through type lid, and even better, one that would slide back. I know, to keep it large, they would have to have made it slide back on TOP of the roof, but other car's have done this and look okay IMO...

The one-piece style boot and shift ****- you have to buy a new shift lever and boot to add a Momo or other ****- I'm going through all kinds of BS w/that at the moment...

The STEREO SYSTEM- The speakers are the most ridiculous part of it- who the hell else makes SQUARE 6 1/2" speakers (Turbo S)? Anyone tried to figure out the silly wiring crap for a new deck? This stuff is kind of irritating too...

The seats suck out loud- NO LUMBAR SUPPORT WHATSOEVER- I feel like I'm supposed to be a bent-over, pear shaped individual. Plus, I hate the BS electrical adjustment stuff, and the seats are pretty heavy, adding to the already extreme heft of this car. For some reason, some of the tubo's I've sat in had slightly more lumbar, w/the same 8-way elec adj, but they are full leather- mine are the cloth (I like it better, except for the lumbar)...

The weight of the vehicle and the fact that it's a little too loud (intrusional noise)...

But worst of all, and probably on top of the list for all of those that REALLY think about it- THE PREVIOUS OWNER OF THE 951 YOU BOUGHT!!!

Many of these things can be fixed a little bit w/small mods here and there, and, by buying a LOW mileage 951 in REALLY good condition- you don't have as many worries of getting screwed by over-priced mechanics and expensive parts when you buy one that's really nice. There are many things I would like to change for minor detail reasons that I haven't mentioned, but those are mostly things that a few strategically spent dollars can fix...

You should see my list for other cars if you think this one is bad
Old 01-18-2002, 10:38 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I second the 4X6's. How could I have over looked that one?

thank god my hatch doesn't rattle.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:38 AM
aka 951
Pro

The fact that the more horsepower you want the bigger the turbo lag you get (with the 2.5L). Also the cost involved and the lack of affordable engine management solutions (after all its just a hack into the DME).
Old 01-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Damien Cort
AutoX

Keith, what kind of wheels are you talking about? Do the Fuchs bend?
Old 01-18-2002, 12:14 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Not all 951 wheels are that expensive, and a good quality wheel will not bend easy. (I don't know what all you run into, but I have never bent a wheel on the 6 cars I have owned.) Rattles.. what rattles? Mine is silent. Spend some time tigtening screws and such, and you will be happy. Keep in mind most of them are 13+ years old! You make noises too when you get old.

As for the snow.. come on!! I drove many many many times in snow between a trace and 6+ inches of snow on ****ty Dunlops and never once got stuck. And I climb some pretty big hills on the way to work.

One of the absolute worse things is the wiring in all German cars. It sucks. Ever trace a power lead from fuse box to.. well.. whatever it is supposed to run to? Horrid experience!

The dash is a problem, ball joint replacement is a headache. Any normal wear item should be able to be replaced with little cost. At $15 ball joint means a $400 a-arm! Silly.

Other than the few gripes I have, I love my car, charred as it may be!
Old 01-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

I think the thing I hate the most about my car is the fact that I can't take it to bed with me.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:17 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Hmmmmmmm....

Quick Reply: What are the things you dislike most about your car?