Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

M tune install.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM
supes6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have mine installed soon... currently my car is about halfway back together after a rod bearing / oil pan gasket replacement... decided to do ball joints and rework my engine harness while I'm in there, so it's taken a little longer than expected. Hopefully my kit will arrive soon so I can tie all the wiring through the snorkel before putting the harness back in.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'd provide my feedback, but ya'll already know it

Last edited by Mighty Shilling; 06-06-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Wow, those instructions look just like Vitesse's MAP installation instructions--right down to the clipped resistor and footnote about the dme functioning normal without it.
Is their more than one way to install the map sensor? Im guessing not.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by blown 944; 06-06-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by carlege
Is their more than one way to install the map sensor? Im guessing not.
Exactly the case.

In order for the processor in the DME to understand analog inputs, there is an IC called an ADC (analog to digital converter). This IC takes a 0-5 volt signal and outputs a 0-255 digital value to the processor.

This ADC has 8 channels, or 8 inputs/outputs if you prefer. In factory form, 7 of these are used: AFM, Battery Voltage, AIT, Coolant, Altitude Sensor, Idle/WOT switch, FQS. There is only one unused channel. This channel reads the input from pin 28 on the DME. The factory wiring harness simply ties this to ground, and the DME never really uses it. By making use of this unused channel, we can add functionality to the DME without sacrificing any of the normal ADC inputs.

Moreover, this unused channel has a voltage bias applied to it. The DME typically does this in order to read resistance based sensors, such as the AIT or coolant temp. However, a MAP sensor is not a resistance based sensor, rather it outputs a voltage signal. To keep the two voltage signals from conflicting the voltage bias needs to be removed. Cutting resistor will open the voltage supply circuit, allowing the MAP sensor signal to be undisturbed - this is a necessity.

Simply put, there is really only one way to skin this cat.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Gents, I am grateful to anyone willing to put time and effort into these mostly forgotten cars, and fear my comment did not come across as intended. I did not by any means intend to imply that Josh did anything other than his own work -- I have zero basis to suggest that, and am sure he has worked tirelessly on this. It was an off the cuff reaction when I saw how similar the two MAP sensors get installed. I'll delete it out of respect to my 944 brethren and vendors...
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What the deuce is it with almost everyone who has a first gen MAF kit, also has their cars in pieces?!!

Rogue, any idea when the retail kits will be released? I'm guessing you're waiting on results from guys who have the kit right now. But with lots of guys in the field with their cars down, I'm guessing it won't be very soon (next month or two) before we see the retail kits?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Black51
What the deuce is it with almost everyone who has a first gen MAF kit, also has their cars in pieces?!!
Apparently those of us with our cars all tore apart right now are the same people who kept up with Joshua's recent progress with his MAF kit and jumped at the chance to get on the pre-order list. It's all about timing and taking quick action.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

So now people who have their cars together, and could be giving feedback to Josh are waiting around for those with their cars in pieces. That's sounds like bad timing to me...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the concern is with demand overcoming supply, rather than doubts regarding the functionality.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Yep, pretty much all the kits in the first round went to people who either aren't common rennlist posters, or people in the middle of their projects...

I will be able to do another round very soon
I've also picked up a 944NA, so I can finish the SD-Tune kit, and am working on finishing the piggyback... Even if I'm quite, it doesn't mean I'm not working on stuff
Old 06-06-2011, 10:33 PM
supes6
Racer

So now people who have their cars together, and could be giving feedback to Josh are waiting around for those with their cars in pieces. That's sounds like bad timing to me...
hard to give feedback on a product when you don't even have possession of said product yet.. I think you need to relax.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rogue, any idea when the retail kits will be released? I'm guessing you're waiting on results from guys who have the kit right now. But with lots of guys in the field with their cars down, I'm guessing it won't be very soon (next month or two) before we see the retail kits?
I am/was one of the testers. Up until last friday my car wasn't in pieces and I'm currently mid-turbo upgrade. With the K26/8 I had a corrected 310 hp and 355 ft-lbs. Turbo spools quicker, and the sound is amazing. The drivability even with 80# injectors is awesome and it drives extremely well, much better than the vitesse chips I once had. Now I'm testing the ability to change turbos without changing the tune, however there has been a setback with my turbo. I'll update ASAP.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by supes6
hard to give feedback on a product when you don't even have possession of said product yet..
Exactly. I was saying guys who could be using the kit don't have them. Lots of guys who have the kit are unable to give feedback because their cars are in pieces.

Anyways, I'll have to go have one of these . That ought to calm me down.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Exactly. I was saying guys who could be using the kit don't have them. Lots of guys who have the kit are unable to give feedback because their cars are in pieces.

Anyways, I'll have to go have one of these . That ought to calm me down.
Don't worry too much... even us guys with our "cars in pieces" don't have a kit yet. Only the pre-release testers have M-Tune installed in their cars. There hasn't been any time lost yet, but the timer will start counting soon b/c I've heard that my kit is "in the mail".

Quick Reply: M tune install.