Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can not bleed the clutch master slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM
jturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can not bleed the clutch master slave cylinder

i have tried every method of bleeding the clutch. Someone please help before I certify myself?

SOS -
Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

get a motive power bleeder. I had all of your problems when I tried to do that on my 944S without the motive power bleeder. It took me two days to get a pedal I had my 951 done in 10 minutes using the motive power bleeder.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

This is probably not what you want to hear, but I whole heartedly suggest a product like the motive power bleeder. I just helped a fellow RLer with this on his 944 Spec car and we had it bled out in minutes.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Aside from using a Motive bleeder, which is indeed a good tool to use, lets start with the basics: Tell us what you did first. Did you replace the master, the slave or both? Did you replace the rubber line that runs between them as well? How about the blue hose that runs to the reservoir? Tell us what procedure you are using.

Give us that info and we'll be in better shape to help you.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to sound daft but you simply pressurize the master cylinder reservoir, right? You don't disconnect the clutch blue hose or anything? I have a blown out line I have to change in the next couple of days...
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pettybird
hate to sound daft but you simply pressurize the master cylinder reservoir, right? You don't disconnect the clutch blue hose or anything? I have a blown out line I have to change in the next couple of days...
yes, it builds pressure in the reservoir while adding new fluid, then you crack the bleeder and let all the air and the old fluid get pushed out until you see no bubbles and new fluid.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a connection between the metal line from the master and the line from the slave, should be at the top of the firewall, behind the AOS approximately. Just follow the line from the master till you find it. Need two wrenches... 16mm and 13mm iirc. Loosen the fitting, press clutch pedal, tie fitting. repeat a few times. Should do the trick.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I've had to break the connection in the line from master to slave to bleed it properly. You can get an air bubble at the high point.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fill it from the bottom up. Get yourself an oil can with a squirter, fill it with brake fluid. Run a line from the nipple on the oil can with the bleed screw on the slave. Remove some fluid from the reservoir or you'll get an overflow, then start pumping brake fluid in. Takes 3 minutes and you'll immediately have a firm pedal.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Clown
Instructor

I tried the oil can bottom method but it did not work for me, and I did not want to buy a motive power bleeder for 50 bucks.

Here is what I did:

Step 1: Make sure the front end of the car is lower than the rear.
Optional Step..but some towels or rags under the car and around the starter to protect both from a shower of fluid...Might be easier to access nipple if starter is removed....

Step 2:Open the brake fluid resevoir and take a bottle of brake fluid and dump it into the opening of resevoir and leave it standing upside down. Do this quick so it does not spill everywhere and dont worry it won't overflow even if you have a lot of fluid in resevoir and brake fluid bottle.

Step 3: Open the slave cylinder nipple with the round side of a 7mm wrench just enough so it opens and lets fluid/air out and then leave it on there.

Step 4: Grab a buddy or wife to help you with this next part. Or just do it by yourself if you don't mind getting some exercise.

Step 5: Push your clutch peddal to to the floor it should stay on floor, Fluid and or air should then come out of the slave cylinder nipple.

Step 6: Now get back under the car or yell to buddy/wife to tighten the slave nipple

Step 7: Pull the clutch peddle off the floor it should stay up.

Step 8: Loosen slave nipple and repeat steps 5-8 until you are getting a steady stream of fluid coming out of the nipple every time you open the nipple and push the clutch peddal to the floor. After doing this maybe 15-50 times tighten the nipple and pull back the clutch pedal from the floor.

Step 9: Test the clutch pedal to see if it is now tight. You will feel it getting tighter as you keep bleading the slave cylinder.

Step 10: Once the pedal is firm. Remove the brake fluid bottle from the resevoir and place cap back onto the resevoir. You can now lower your car.

This worked for me maybe it will work for you....
Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 PM
944hal
Pro

Motive bleeder. Worth the investment, especially if you bleed the hydraulics on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: Can not bleed the clutch master slave cylinder