Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

16 Valve 2.5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no need for solid lifter in a 16v it has 35mm hydraulic lifters and 7mm stems witch is the industries standard in 4v per cylinder engines of the last 30 years and the same set up they happily spins past 9 in many engines..
Also if you are whitey engine geek and you want to build an optimum head its much easier to get valves lifers and Ti retainers than an 8v set up .. i will have my full valve chain built for well under 1000 by cutting down nascar del west ti exhaust valves and 42g VW lifters 12$ ea
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raceboy
All I can say that many things that are far from optimum still work OK! Just don't expect it to last for several hour race!

I remember there was a common understanding that stock 924 2.0 engine is too weak for any power (and still is I suppose) but I turbocharged stock euro 924 engine and got 250 hp/320 Nm that was reliable (driven it for 4 years and occasional track time also).
Is it optimal and best of the best solution? No. Does it work, has fun factor and lasts? YES!
Agree to an extent, and disagree to an extent. Is quench (i.e. pistons) that critical? No. Valvetrain? Well, that durability, and on the street with only brief bursts, probably not. But cam timing? That will affect your spool time, pretty drastically, and that can have a BIG impact on the "fun factor," which is the most subjective measure. All I'm saying is that I've been there and done that. With a 4V engine, you don't need the big cam profile to move a lot of air like you do on a 2V engine. A 2V engine is more either/or. Either drivability or big power. On a 4V, you can have your cake and eat it, too.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
All I'm saying is that I've been there and done that. With a 4V engine, you don't need the big cam profile to move a lot of air like you do on a 2V engine. A 2V engine is more either/or. Either drivability or big power. On a 4V, you can have your cake and eat it, too.
I respect your knowledge but I suspect your "been there done that" doesn't include a 4v 944 turbo engine.

What Raceboy said, and what I concur, is that the stock 4v cams work very, very well in a turbocharged environment.
I use stock 968 cams and I have yet to see a better curve from a 4v turbo 944/968 engine. It drives and idles like a stock engine too (until you use more than 5% throttle).
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jlturpin
Chris, Thanks for the reply. I knew there was more to the twin cam drive belt, just wondering if the parts were available "off the shelf". Guess it depends on who's shelf they are off of.

I have always love the sound of the 4V since I owned my first 944S many years ago. That dyno video clip sounds awesome.

I know that the lifters are still probably the limiting factor on the 4V head. Do you use solid lifters or do you feel 7500 is safe with the increased pressure of the custom springs you use? At this point in life, if I did start the build (in my head) it would be for street use and I would love to have my day start off and end with that wonderful sound.

Again, thanks for sharing.
Solid lifters on a 16v are not needed. The valve train parts of the 16v head are very light. For high end engines I will go with Ti retainers and lighter valves and valve springs. The stock lifters are good for somewhere over 8k rpm….I haven’t floated one yet!

All I can say that many things that are far from optimum still work OK! Just don't expect it to last for several hour race!

I remember there was a common understanding that stock 924 2.0 engine is too weak for any power (and still is I suppose) but I turbocharged stock euro 924 engine and got 250 hp/320 Nm that was reliable (driven it for 4 years and occasional track time also).
Is it optimal and best of the best solution? No. Does it work, has fun factor and lasts? YES!
All true – and I really l like people that just try stuff to see if it works. On the other hand I have found that most of my customers that want a 16v engine like the concept because they appreciate the engineering and details, so to use an 8v piston as the basis for a 16v engine doesn’t quite appeal to them.

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
no need for solid lifter in a 16v it has 35mm hydraulic lifters and 7mm stems witch is the industries standard in 4v per cylinder engines of the last 30 years and the same set up they happily spins past 9 in many engines..
Also if you are whitey engine geek and you want to build an optimum head its much easier to get valves lifers and Ti retainers than an 8v set up .. i will have my full valve chain built for well under 1000 by cutting down nascar del west ti exhaust valves and 42g VW lifters 12$ ea
Hey, ‘whitey engine geek’…I resemble that remark!
Oh, and on the cutting the hood for the twin cam drive….there are other solutions….I am not into the Mad Max look…..!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Regarding turbochargin the stock 4v 944/968 engine, I can pretty much say BTDT because Duke's engine that blew due to serious overboost came from the Markus951 "Jägermeister" orange 951 and when Markus built this engine, we discussed countless hours both on the phone and irl what to do and what not.
Goal was to build a "budget" 968 turbo engine (may sound weird, isn't it?) and in my opinion it succeeded.
Pretty substantial amount of my know-how (educated guess to be accurate) went into this engine.

Ok, enough of self-promotion
Old 05-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Oh, and on the cutting the hood for the twin cam drive….there are other solutions….I am not into the Mad Max look…..!

I know that one: dry-sumping the and lowering engine
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that one: dry-sumping the and lowering engine
Oh so the engine can be lower? That is an elegant solution but on the dollar scale we just went from crazy to insane?

So far the stock 944 S setup sounds to be the simplest solution, what is the rev limit on the combo? I have only seen one 944 S ands that was years ago.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duke
I respect your knowledge but I suspect your "been there done that" doesn't include a 4v 944 turbo engine.

What Raceboy said, and what I concur, is that the stock 4v cams work very, very well in a turbocharged environment.
I use stock 968 cams and I have yet to see a better curve from a 4v turbo 944/968 engine. It drives and idles like a stock engine too (until you use more than 5% throttle).
On edit, toning it down. I've messed with enough engines to know that the same physics applies to all of them. Sorry you don't see it that way.

Last edited by 67King; 05-26-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

QUOTE=67King;8587492]On edit, toning it down. I've messed with enough engines to know that the same physics applies to all of them. Sorry you don't see it that way.[/QUOTE]
Well I'm gonna guy with( Merkur guy ) I mean 67King.

It seems to me that either way would work and if you have a 3 liter the LSA my not be that big a deal but on a 2.5 it might be.

Clearly you can do it either way and the thing will run but it seems to me that if you do the twin gear conversion you can optimize each cam individually.

If you run the stock 944 S setup you can't, so a regrind to change the LSA. That's my take on it so...moving on...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by schip43
QUOTE=67King;8587492]It seems to me that either way would work and if you have a 3 liter the LSA my not be that big a deal but on a 2.5 it might be.

Clearly you can do it either way and the thing will run but it seems to me that if you do the twin gear conversion you can optimize each cam individually.

If you run the stock 944 S setup you can't, so a regrind to change the LSA. That's my take on it so...moving on...
I would expect the extra 20% displacement would make a slower spool (which is what is at issue here, NOT idle) more tolerable.

On regrinds, they are typically done to make cams "bigger," or more lift and duration. I can't imagine a slight tweak to a profile would be difficult, but you also typically make the base circle smaller, which necessitates some needed changes, usually in the form of longer valves, a stem cap, or a spacer under the lash adjusters in the case of follower designs.

I would personally rather run two sprockets for the flexibility. But I used to know a guy who would do reginds for a little over $100. I need to see if I can track him down to see if he can do a DAMB cam with a unique profile, and what it would cost. I am guessing that would be a much more cost effective solution.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

At the end of the day, it comes down to what the engine (car) will be used for, how much power you want to make, and how long you want it to last...

Anyone can slap on a turbo and go, but getting a target power level and making it last while being drivable on the street... takes a little bit more finesse!

All respect to the monster power engines that have been made, but how many ran for any real duration of time (measured in years, miles, races) are still running?

Dukes newest engine (16V variocam 3L) is a MONSTER, and should last a good long while.. a similar build US side would easily exceed 10K.. in machining and supporting mods alone...

While a 16V 2.5 can be done, doing it on the cheap will leave something behind, weather it be streetability, reliability, power, or some combination of the 3..

FWIW, there was an effort (group buy) a while back for 928 cam sets, made from new billets.. in reality, any grind on them would be possible...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

On edit, toning it down. I've messed with enough engines to know that the same physics applies to all of them. Sorry you don't see it that way.
Except for Australian physics – it always seems to make less horsepower at the dyno!

Maybe they should have a conversion factor to DP (Dingo Power) instead of HP (Horse Power)…..
Old 05-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Dukes newest engine (16V variocam 3L) is a MONSTER, and should last a good long while.. a similar build US side would easily exceed 10K.. in machining and supporting mods alone...
Duke is currently tuning up an 8v monster engine…..should be some really good numbers from that one, better than most 16v engines!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

I would expect the extra 20% displacement would make a slower spool (which is what is at issue here, NOT idle) more tolerable.

On regrinds, they are typically done to make cams "bigger," or more lift and duration. I can't imagine a slight tweak to a profile would be difficult, but you also typically make the base circle smaller, which necessitates some needed changes, usually in the form of longer valves, a stem cap, or a spacer under the lash adjusters in the case of follower designs.
Hmm, but if your not changing lift would you have to change base circle? And yep I got the lazy bit, don't need to build a motor to do that!

I would personally rather run two sprockets for the flexibility.
Yeah, I'm still stuck on the hole in the hood thing!

But I used to know a guy who would do reginds for a little over $100. I need to see if I can track him down to see if he can do a DAMB cam with a unique profile, and what it would cost. I am guessing that would be a much more cost effective solution.
OK, I give up! What is a DAMB cam?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
Duke is currently tuning up an 8v monster engine…..should be some really good numbers from that one, better than most 16v engines!
Is that the motor to go along with his race car?

Quick Reply: 16 Valve 2.5?